Am I consuming enough calories?

Options
I am wondering if I am consuming enough calories. I did about an hour of Body Pump today and also got a 30 minute walk in.

Below is the link to my food diary (date 9/13).

Am I eating enough? I'm 5'0" and 196 lbs right now.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/ser0630

Replies

• palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Its still closed
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Your food diary is set to private so we can't see it.
    I'm 5ft, and have just increased to 1300 cals a day, plus I "eat back" exercise cals if I'm hungry. I'm currently 181lbs, want to get to 110-120ish, and from a starting weight of around 204lbs I've been losing between 1-2lbs a week.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    You have to change your diary settings to MFP members (not just friends) if you haven't already. Then others can view your diary and hopefully make helpful suggestions :)

Good luck!
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Your food diary is private, go under Settings and Diary Settings to change that. Will need it public for us to see it.

One other way to answer your question:
    Go to www.fat2fitradio.com and use their BMR calculator. You'll get a very similar result as from MFP BMR calculations. BMR is what your body burns in 24 hours completely at rest. Your normal day activity level WITHOUT SPECIFIC EXERCISE will factor up your BMR to get an approximate total calorie burn for your average day.

I put in a 35 yr old female, 60 inches (5 ft) tall, current weight of 196 and guessed at a goal weight of 140 (at least as an intermediate goal). Your BMR came out to 1625 calories. Most people are going to be between sedentary and lightly active for an average activity level. Sedentary would have you 1660-1700 calories, Lightly active would be 1900 calories. That would be a maintenance level.

To lose 1 lb per week, subtract 500 calories a day from your maintenance level. 1700-500 = 1200 calories, your net calorie goal. This is before any exercise.

Say you burn 300 calories exercising in addition to your average day activity. Your total calories burned is increased. 1700+300 = 2000. To continue losing 1 lb per week, maintain that 500 calorie deficit. 2000-500 = 1500. Same as your 1200 net plus exercise.

You don't have to eat your exercise calories back. Many people do, many people don't, I just wanted to show that it's perfectly fine to do so. Very few people ever offer an explanation as to why they do or do not do something on here.

Hopefully with some of the information above you can try to answer your own question.
  • ser0630
    ser0630 Posts: 223
    Options
    Sorry about that. The setting has been changed to public. You should be able to view it now.
  • scottg1024
    Options
    untitled-2.jpg

Here's the easy way I look at it (I've been here off and on since June 2010)

If you programmed your weight loss goal, MFP gave you numbers to shoot for. In this case your daily goal after you exercised became 2354 (1770 if you hadn't exercised). You should strive to come close to the 1770. Whether or not you choose to eat your exercise cals is strictly up to you, but many people have success doing it. I personally try to eat back half - mainly because I think the values in MFP for exercise are overstated and I might understate my food cals. But look at your remaining number and your exercise number. Your remaining number should at least be close to that or smaller. I hope this helps.

Feel free to look at my diary any time.

Scott.