1st time at the gym last night

Options
Stupid dog ran off so I was too late to go to my kickboxing by the time I found it so I fecided since I was already dressed to give the gym a try...

It was pretty confusing going in the door so I went on the crosstrainer, got the fella on the next crosstrainer to show me how to work the timers etc

After 15mins on the crosstrainer I got a guy to show me a few basics with the weights, he was great help... Everyone seemed pretty friendly although most of the time everyone was engrossed in their own workout

No beautiful people or posers which was a relief... Wasnt as scary as I thought it would be!

Replies

• p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Good job! Glad you enjoyed it, your gym sounds like it has some really great people there.
  • Jennvandemark
    Jennvandemark Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    So happy you had a great first experience. So many people don't use the gym because of the fear of other people judging them but in reality most people in the gym are in their own little work out world. I have seen a few people who show up looking like they are ready for the club but in work out gear. I just shake my head and go on my way. GOOD for you and I hope you go back soon.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I intend to go once a week to start with for an hour after my swimming lessons as they are in the same place as the pool... Kill 2 birds with the 1 stone, the guy showing me the weights recommended I either focus on my upper body or my lower body per session and alternate it instead of trying to do both at same time
  • hayze_connie
    Options
    Good on ya :)
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! Do they have personal trainers? Get one of them for a day to come up with a workout for you. Then just change it up every 4-6 weeks.
  • Tank_Girl
    Options
    I enquired about personal trainers... Only if your a member... seems you cant hire an instructor otherwise. Im not using the pool/gym enough at moment for it to be worthwhile buying membership.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Good job! Glad you enjoyed it, your gym sounds like it has some really great people there.

Yeah you know what, we aften see threads about gym member's BAD habits, posers etc but seldom celebrate the good.
    My gym has some really good people there, which reminds me of a story....

My 10 year old lad and me were in the supermarket last month and a huge guy smiled at me and said "Hi"

My lad asked me who he was and I told him that he was a guy from my gym and that he was "A really helpful guy actually"

A little later my lad was looking concerned and asked me if this guy teased me. "Eh? No of course not!"
    "What sort of things does he say that are hurtful then?" He asked

I said helpful not HURTFUL!!!!!

Lol I can imagine my lad thinking of this big guy towering over little me and teasing me about the puny weghts I lifted.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I intend to go once a week to start with for an hour after my swimming lessons as they are in the same place as the pool... Kill 2 birds with the 1 stone, the guy showing me the weights recommended I either focus on my upper body or my lower body per session and alternate it instead of trying to do both at same time

great you have found the gym, but I would consider looking at doing compound lifts rather than strictly focussing on one half of the body at a time. Check out the book Starting Strength for why and to give you some training in how to do some weight moves or try the New Rules of Lifting programme.

Glad you found a nice friendly gym
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    well done!must be the gym I go to but Ive honestly never met anyone there that look like they are heading for a club friendly nice people mixed with one or two that rather keep to themselves,usually away in their own workouts,trainers are very helpfull!
  • Tank_Girl
    Options

great you have found the gym, but I would consider looking at doing compound lifts rather than strictly focussing on one half of the body at a time. Check out the book Starting Strength for why and to give you some training in how to do some weight moves or try the New Rules of Lifting programme.

Glad you found a nice friendly gym

Will have a look for the book :)
  • judykay05
    Options
    Good for you finding the gym. I think I would not pay attention to any routines that are for "girls" since you are doing kickboxing and other sports. Women routines are usually geared more towards lighter weights and higher reps. I found some great routines on youtube.com. Maybe you will see something you like.
  • EmilyMCO
    Options
    Way to go! Since making that first move and taking steps in the right direction, I think you can count that as your first Non Scale Victory!
  • MiSo_SeXy
    MiSo_SeXy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The hardest part is getting to the gym. I'm glad you decided to give it a go. ^_^ glad the guy was nice enough to show you the ropes tI
  • ullgetthere
    Options
    Congrats!! I have just started the gym with my dad and it will now be our third time tonight. I do my own thing and whether there are posers or not, I am there to do my own thing. Congrats on going and having the courage to ask people how the machines work. Not everyone would have been able to do that! Check back in with us at the end of the week to let us know how it all went. One training session at a time and it will go great!
  • Tank_Girl
    Options
    Good for you finding the gym. I think I would not pay attention to any routines that are for "girls" since you are doing kickboxing and other sports. Women routines are usually geared more towards lighter weights and higher reps. I found some great routines on youtube.com. Maybe you will see something you like.
    Are the routines for women easier or are they designed so you still look girlie... my priority is packing a punch in the ring that will seriously rattle my opponent, same with my lower body.... Its about building muscles that pack a seriously powerfull kick... although id love a washboard stomach
  • judykay05
    Options
    Well the few that I have seen for women are geared more towards fitness (aka small toned muscles and overall ripped).
    But to deliver a kick-*kitten* punch and to take a punch I would recommend strength training/weight lifting and calistenics for core strength.

In the end, it's all up to you. You decide what works for you!

Judy