Need advice please!

Options
I have muscular thighs but I'm trying to tone my butt. I've read that exercises like squats etc that are good for firming the bottom also strengthen the thighs and can make them bigger. I really do not need this. In fact, I want to slim down my thighs. Any advice? thanks!

Replies

• jenneal89
    Options
    Bump. Anyone?
  • Mrs_Winfrey
    Mrs_Winfrey Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    CARDIO, and lots of it...while still doing those. That way you won't get bigger, but will still keep your tone....I am no expert, but that's what I've been told because I have the SAME problem. I actually did 150 squats last night for a mini challenge, and will do an hour of cardio tonight. I also run stairs, which is toning/cardio all in one :) Hope this helps.
  • jenneal89
    Options
    CARDIO, and lots of it...while still doing those. That way you won't get bigger, but will still keep your tone....I am no expert, but that's what I've been told because I have the SAME problem. I actually did 150 squats last night for a mini challenge, and will do an hour of cardio tonight. I also run stairs, which is toning/cardio all in one :) Hope this helps.

Thanks, that's what I've been doing so I'll give it some more time and hope it gets better. I'm over halfway through p90x and have recently started doing extra leg/butt toning exercises with a resistance band that were in my health and fitness magazine. My bum has firmed up a bit but just worried about my thigh muscles lol
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    To shrink, you need calorie deficiency (cardio and diet) and stretching (yoga/pilates will help) to lengthen the thigh muscles and not make them bulky. I'm dealing with the same thing! I lost .5 inch in each thigh since 9/1 so it's working slowly but surely.
  • tkbronico
    Options
    I agree, you need a healthy diet, cardio and the strength training. I would have never thought to do squats, lunges etc. until I worked with a trainer. In 3 1/2 months with a healthy diet (1200-1400 cal a day average), and cardio mixed with strength training I went from 154 to 126 while toning and losing inches. GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • jenneal89
    Options
    Thanks. Anyone may look at my diary if they want (please look at at least 2 weeks tho to get a better feel for what I 'usually' eat and how much I exercise). I think I eat healthy food and I have lost 7 inches in each thigh over the last 2 years but have 2-3 inches to reach my goal.
  • YoSoyFiesta21
    Options
    Its always good to mix up your workouts which trigger muscle growth. Whether you're running, weight training, stretching (yoga/pilates) or whatever your method of spot training is for your thighs, just remember women don't produce testosterone like men so you won't get bulky. When lifting heavier weights women will tone faster than men due to not producing as much of this hormone. Another place to look for advice would be muscleandfitness.com, they also have a women's section and magazine designed specifically for women. Hope this helps!