New to MFP and Confused - Calorie Intake/Insanity

Options
Hi,

Im new to this, 11 years ago I used to be in the army and had a great body, since leaving my body has slipped and complacency has kicked in.

So I have decided to get my body back in shape and lose some weight.

After inputting my details on MFP, my target calorie intake for the day is 1380, which I have done for the first week and lost 4lb with some light exercise.

However I have decided to do the insanity workout, but am now confused as to whether I need to be taking in more calories???

Or if I just keep on doing what I am doing with light exercise and 1380 calories, until I lose the weight I want to and then start insanity??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Replies

• lbryony76
    lbryony76 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I tend to stick to my calorie intake unless I've done a serious workout in which case I'd eat more. Exercise keeps your metabolism up and you don't want to reverse this by not eating enough. Of course whatever workout you do you can have the extra calories you burn. You would just lose the same as if you hadn't worked out, or perhaps a little more as you will be adding muscle mass which burns calories even when you are at rest and raising your metabolism.

Hope this helps a bit,

Bryony
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Hi Mike.

Speaking as a person who has gone through two rounds of Insanity, you should at least consider upping your calorie intake a little. It is a crazy calorie burn workout, and you need the extra calories to give you the energy needed to get through it. That being said, I recently went to my doctor for a physical, and knowing that I do Insanity and P90X, said that he things I could get by with a 1500 calorie diet, which was kinda surprising! My advice would be to maybe try Insanity at your current intake and see how you feel. If you are wiped out during it or later in the day, then up it a bit. If you're feeling fine, then keep going with it.

Good luck!
  • mbow1977
    Options
    Thanks to you both, a great help, Im going to go with it, Ive changed my target calories to 1600 so will see how it goes...Kevie, 2 rounds?!! Wow Im on day 3 and the muscles are burning like hell! lol
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Yeah. It's rough! I did one round and lost 25 lbs but then had some set backs and gained a bunch back but then completed round 2 a few months later and lost 15 lbs. It was brutal both times. If you stick with it though, you will see results. I'm trying to work myself up to to The Asylum, which is the follow up to Insanity. We'll see if I get there.