really down about my weght ive gained

Options
i had gastric bipas nov 22nd of last year it will be a year this nov i have been though alot of stress i havent been able to exersize alot and eating is not as good i really have been doing good i lost 80 pounds so far but gained 5 back just felling really down i eat when im stressed and then i start gaining the weght back

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    you identified the issue. Stress. Start researching how to manage stress. There is a lot of information about this and it will help you. Stress causes a lot of issues in addition to over eating.

good luck
  • flyingcarbaccio
    flyingcarbaccio Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Are sure you really gained 5 lbs and it's not just water weight? It takes a lot to gain a full 5 pounds of fat. Even if you did gain 5, you lost 75lbs and that is amazing.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    Try to find other ways of managing your stress instead of eating. I like to eat when I am stressed. Not necessarily a LOT but, the wrong foods.

Maybe head out for a walk or something when you get that URGE to grab something out of the cabinet...it is difficult but, it helps with those cravings. Or, find substitutes for those unhealthy foods.

I know how the STRESS things can make us all do things we are trying to avoid....put it in your head that having the willpower to put down the "bad" and pick-up and do the "GOOD" will be much better on your body and help you manage the situation better. Sometimes the exercise will help with a solution to something or help you rearrange your thoughts to "handle" it better!

GOOD LUCK and I'll say a prayer for you! :-)
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Setbacks are discouraging. But adding more stress to a problem caused by stress in the first place absolutely will not help.

Listen to the above poster about finding ways to manage stress... maybe a good workout instead of food?
  • ktrimer
    Options
    I too had gastric surgery on Nov 22nd. I understand your frustration because I have been struggling with loosing more. I have lost 70 lbs and seem to be stuck here. I have 20 more to go to reach my goal. I know the nutritionist said in the beginning if that happened to just keep making the right food choices and it would work itself out. Using this site has helped me to find hidden things that I didn't know I was doing. Like eating way too much refined sugar. Just keep making the right food choices. Find a better way to deal with the stress besides eating. For example, exercise is a much better alternative. Try changing your exercise routine. Just don't give up. You have to keep trying new things till you find what works for you. I know I didn't do this to let myself get back to where I was and I am sure you didn't either. Good luck and keep at it!!
  • apdarrey
    apdarrey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel you man, I gained 30 over the year and couldn't workout due to a car accident, but once I started holding myself accountable for what I ate I finally leveled off and I'm finally starting to lose. Try to find other ways to relieve stress like working out and look forward to your goals to keep you motivated.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Get yourself an eating plan and then stick to it! You need to turn your focus away from the scale onto the stuff that you are putting into your body.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    First of all....dont be down on yourself. Stress and life happens. You are doing the right thing by taking control back now. I also had gastric bypass, and I can understand that while the surgery DOES give a great tool initially to help you get some control and make positive lifestyle changes, it is not a cure for obesity and you still have to put in the same work that everyone else does...so bravo for you for losing 80 pounds! Surgery does nothing to fix our heads :wink: I am also an emotional and stress eater. I try finding other ways to channel stress like taking a walk, going to the gym, anything that will make me get and move. When the urge to snack is just too much, I snack on something that is at least healthy. I keep almonds, seedless cucumbers, cheese, etc in the house. I also notice that if my protein intake is too low I get the urge to snack more. Especially for GBS people! We need to maintain a high protein diet. We don't absorb nutrients in the same way anymore and its easy to let our blood levels fall too low. If you havent had your labs checked recently I would encourage that also! I find that being on this site really helps me to stay focused on what I am eating and how much I am exercising. Not to mention the support is terrific. There are also groups that are specifically dedicated to people that have had WLS, you might want to check them out. Best of luck to you! Sending you a friend request :flowerforyou: