Help! I'm starting to gain and going into panic mode.

Options
I am a 61 year old retired female. Since April 1st I've changed my lifestyle and started losing weight. I started at 248 and now weigh 185. I am eating approx. 800-900 calories per day.

I don't think that is starvation mode as I am retired and quite passive. I swim for an hour twice a week but that's about it for exercise. I have been consistant in diet and exercise. I have gained 3 pounds back since last week and can not figure out why.

Any suggestions? Advice? I would appreciate any and all help as I still have 40 pounds to go. Thanks.

Replies

• Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It may not be starvation mode (a term that is thrown around) but it is still eating too little. Obviously your body is gaining for a reason. Eat more and fill it with healthy foods.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I would tend to agree. Even though you are pretty passive, that is still a bit too low, especially over a long period of time. Your body is trying to tell you something. I would try either increasing your calories by at least a couple of hundred a day, or every other day maybe eat a higher calorie day if that seems too much for you now. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and getting enough protein. I find that if I dont get a good amount of protein in and not enough water I gain weight, even if I consumed less than 1000 calories. Best of luck to you!
  • Kakalina2
    Kakalina2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. Maybe the water. I realzied that I had cut back without noticing it and also I had increased my diet soda from 1 to 2 a day . I will try those changes.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I would really up the calories. Even if you sit and do nothing all day your body still needs at least 1200 calories. Try drinking water mostly too if youre adding in sodas or sugary coffees as well. Good luck!
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should try to drink more water...a 3 pound gain in one week is not a gain of fat--no way did you eat that many calories, but some type of water weight. Maybe you ate something that retained water before your weigh in day. I also agree that at our age we do need to be careful to be sure to eat enough. When you started you were very overweight and could afford to go a bit lower in calories, but now you are entering the world of "normal" people who want to lose weight. Calculate your BMR and decide to aim for that number as your minimum total calories as a start.
    I sent you a friend request--if you do go look at my diary you'll see some super low days--I understand exactly what you are going through.
  • knjm4v
    knjm4v Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also think you should stop the diet soda and drink a lot of water. YOu must have eaten something that was very salty. Also to get the scale moving again, sometimes if you change your exercise around to something different it jump start it again, but also remember if you burn more calories you need to eat more healthy food so your metabolism wont slow down or stop. Good luck to you. Jackie
  • ascotton80
    ascotton80 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    it's only a week. it could be anything.
  • Couponqueenren
    Couponqueenren Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't think is was an issue of eating too much :) Up your water, be careful to eat enough and wait it out.:flowerforyou:

Oh and love that you can have just two oreos. I would go nuts it I attempted that. Good willpower!

And congratulations on your success so far!

Just realized this was over two weeks ago, how did you make out?