Women - Extra Skin :(

Options
I have extra skin from my weight loss after having my daughter and I am in desperate need of motivation. My diet has been off and I haven't been exercising because I feel like it's pointless with this skin hiding any results! Have any of you women had this problem? Or do you know how to make it go away without a tummy tuck? Any pictures you have would be awesome as well. I'm really needing some support!

Replies

• jrev86
    jrev86 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Some tips to try, because I have a little bit from losing weight to work off as well. It's mostly patience because there is no quick fix to it. Weight or strength training , make sure you are hydrated with plenty of water, and I have heard that even getting massages help tighten the skin. It's a good excuse to get one either way. Hope these tips help a little!
  • gildakaufman
    gildakaufman Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    From what I've read dry brushing is really good, haven't tried it out myself yet though.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My doc said it could take up to a year. Especially since you're still young and have elastic skin. Me I'm getting old and don't hold out much hope that my skin will snap back, but being lighter and healthier is so nice. I'll just wear tighter underwear. :)
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    both look like saggy skin to me... just stay thin and the body will adjust hopefully but usually surgery will remove it the quickest
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Visuals appreciated for comparison. Thank you.

Also, weights + 1
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Keeping hydrated is very importatnt as it improves the skins elasticity. CLA is supposed to help. I have also read that massages help. Strength training will help build muscle, so more of the fat will be burned. But, yes unfortunately, it can take time. Even after you reach your weight goal, it can take 6 months to a year for the skin and fat to look normal.
  • SamanthaH10
    SamanthaH10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Whether or not the skin will bounce back is a mixture of factors - genetics, age, how much there is, how long you were overweight for, etc. I have lost over 100 pounds and have extra belly, arm, and inner thigh skin. I am 27 years old and there is no hope of my skin bouncing back.

Those "miracle" products, such as lotions with collagen or things that say they firm the skin are crap. None of that will EVER work for extra skin due to weight loss/child birth.
  • azjlmar123
    azjlmar123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It Works! ultimate body wraps really really really do work.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I here that lifting weights will help. Building muscle is a nice way to fill in some of the loose skin.
    Also it can take 2 yrs for ur skin to catch up, so it MIGHT come back in some. Or so I've heard. I'm worried ab loose skin myself. So know ur not alone.
  • shavonnetruax
    shavonnetruax Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and I went "sit up" crazy which I know has helped BUT I heard through the grape vine that putting lotion on consistently will help tighten your skin, so I tried it because I am willing to try anything and I have been putting on bath and body works lotion (personal choice cause it smells amazing)4 times a day! (religiously) and not only has my belly skin become tighter but my arms too!! Try it!
  • rainacreasy01
    rainacreasy01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I second itworks products. I've used two wraps and defining gel since 3 weeks postpartum and although I'm not anywhere near back to something how I once looked, my stretch marks are lighter and skin is tighter. This along with exercise (mostly cardio since the c-section) has been very beneficial. I can almost fit into my pre-prego pants and I was 210 after little man! Pre baby I was 165 fluctuating and had gained a total of 60 lbs by the end of pregnancy. Love itworks and am about to sign on as a distributer. Staying hydrated is key though!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    My doc said it could take up to a year. Especially since you're still young and have elastic skin. Me I'm getting old and don't hold out much hope that my skin will snap back, but being lighter and healthier is so nice. I'll just wear tighter underwear. :)

Spanx is our friend. :laugh:
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Interesting- mine looks more like the second picture and my doctor tells me it is definitely lose skin. I think skin thickness varies in different parts of the body
  • MamaBearRoars
    MamaBearRoars Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am only down 1 lb so far so I have a long while to go before I worry about it, but I have a nasty "apron" area from my c-sections. I'm worried that it will NEVER go away. Bummer.
  • Maddielen
    Options

Love your optimism and sunny outlook. You are so right!
  • gdenault
    gdenault Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue I am finding lotion is helping a lot and taking fish oil helps with your skins elasticity. I am currently using Vaseline intensive moisture and spring valley fish, flaxseed, borage oil omega 3, 6, 9. Weight training and limiting caffeine or eliminiating it will help as it dehydrates you. But unfortunately time is what will help the most.
  • Ivana331
    Options
    If you look at my profile pics, you can see how the front of my tummy is starting to shrivel into itself as I am losing this weight. And I do have a slight overhang of skin after 2 c-sections. I am hoping I can tone it up as much as possible to show some abs underneath, but who knows. Plus since I plan on having more kids I am not worrying about it now.
  • sdurrahMpls
    sdurrahMpls Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have extra skin from my weight loss after having my daughter and I am in desperate need of motivation. My diet has been off and I haven't been exercising because I feel like it's pointless with this skin hiding any results! Have any of you women had this problem? Or do you know how to make it go away without a tummy tuck? Any pictures you have would be awesome as well. I'm really needing some support!

You don't have saggy skin with your weight loss. You have saggy fat. Skin is a few millimeters thick. Almost transparent. It's the thickness of your eye lid. You can simply gain the weight back, if it's so depressing. This is what "saggy skin" looks like

saggy-belly-fit-woman.jpg

saggy fat looks like this
    scaled.php?server=155&filename=photo1bp8.jpg&res=landing

Thank God! Finally somebody with some damn sense around here... You don't need surgery to remove if it looks like the second. you need to work hard at the gym and in the kitchen. Period.
  • girllovedcupcakes
    girllovedcupcakes Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If you think the person in the second photo can lose more weight and end up looking like the person in the first photo you are incorrect. The person in the first photo had much less weight to lose.

This is why if you look at photos of peoples before and after body lifts vs. people who had a tummy tuck due to baby weight they are totally different.
  • jessicafbeach
    jessicafbeach Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been over weight for a very long time, my highest weight being 300. Over the past 10 years I have very slowly lost weight. I am now 220 and still loosing. Needless to say I have skin issues too; arms, thighs, belly.

Things I have learned over the years about my skin:

1. While my skin may never fully recover, diet and exercise actually make a difference in the elasticity of my skin. When I am hydrated and eating clean my skin actually gets tighter.

2. I don't know how quickly you gained or lost your weight but if you did either quickly and are expecting your skin to snap back quickly it most likely won't. The good news is it will change and get tighter over time if you continue to make good choices. Whenever I see someone who wants to have surgery to repair their skin I want to tell them to stay their course for two years after losing your weight. Your skin needs time to respond to the amazing things you've done!

3. Be nice to you. I am the WORST rule breaker on this one. I know the terrible things I am capable of telling myself about my body. If anyone heard my inner voices they would accuse me of abuse. Looking in the mirror is really hard for me because of those voices. I have to make a conscious daily choice to positively affirm myself. If you fight for mind you will see change. The expectations that our society places on us are not reasonable or "normal" do not fall prey. You are AMAZING!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!