How long did it take for the hunger feelings to go away?

Options

Replies

• heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    How much and what are you eating? I think you should maybe join one of the groups here like " in place of a road map ". There are lots of people here successfully losing weight on 1200 cals a day, but right now I'm eating over 1500 cals a day and losing weight faster than I did at 1200. And I feel much better and am not generally hungry. I wish I had done it sooner. Increasing protein was hard for me, but it really does help. Good luck!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    A few weeks for me, I barely knew what hunger was before.
  • bluebug53
    bluebug53 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If you work out and eat a Plant Strong diet, It is very hard to eat enough! I never feel hungry, and I hardly ever get all my calories in! Engine 2 diet!!!!!! Give up the meat, the oil, and the dairy! Make a positive lifestyle change, and your body will reward you for it!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this a lot as my hunger feelings went away but now they are back, but in a good way.

I learned that when I lowed my carbs a tad (40%) and mixed high glycemic foods with proteins I didn't get hungry. So things like quick oats in the morning or waffles were filling, but I'd be starving 2 hours later. I just don't eat that any more. I have muesli with yoghurt, which takes longer to digest.

So once I figured out a lot of foods I liked that kept me satisfied, the hunger pains were absolutely gone for several months. If I got a bit peckish I'd grab a few cashews and that would make me happy until it was time for my next meal.

Then what happened was I just got too good at eating a lot without eating a lot of calories. So I would hit 11:30 and just absolutely want to have lunch. Or 4:00 and just want to eat. The problem was, I wasn't eating ENOUGH calories. Like the last two nights it was 9PM, I'd already had my meals and an ice cream snack and after my exercise calories (just an hour of walking) I was still netting 900.

Not surprising I was hungry! So I ate something.

Frankly, every single time I am hungry - from the beginning to the end of this - I eat something. Often, though, it's not very much - like a few cashews. I use that information to shape what I eat so that I am satisfied, eat enough, but stay within my goals.

Sorry for the complicated answer!
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Im always hungry. No matter if I eat 1200 or 1800. I can eat like a pig and be hungry an hour later. One of the reasons I joined MFP. I just drink as much water as I can when I get hungry if I have just recently eaten. Not really an answer to your question but for me I am convinced that it will be never! lol
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Subway sandwiches (why??).
    Me too! I'll have a footlong and 20 minutes later I'm still unsatified, yet a teeny burger and small fries with hold me over for 4 hours.

It's the huge roll. It has an incredibly high glycemic index. I split one with my son the other day (he had 4/5, me the rest) and I was SHOCKED to see it was over 700 calories for the whole thing. Wow!

The big roll and also the sauce and cheese all have high carbs so it spikes your blood sugar. You get a big insulin surge, which stores all that blood sugar in your cells as fat (temporarily). It also keeps you from burning fat while that's going on. But of course you need sugar to run your body. So you get hungry because your body can't use the fat it has stored.

Low blood sugar is what triggers hunger.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    If you eat good clean food, you won't feel hungry. Lots of fruit and veggies, add in some nuts, like raw almonds, and you will feel full. This idea of a calorie is a calorie is true. But, it leaves out very important details. One of the awesome side effects of eating clean and healthy foods is you are never hungry and it's kind of hard to eat all your calories.

Subway is not really good. It's not bad, but that's exactly the wrong type of food or a long term full feeling. It's good in a pinch, but I never eat there. The bread is horrible for you from a feeling full perspective.

It really requires a complete change in the type of foods you choose to eat everyday.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I never felt hungry when I dropped the calories BUT most of my calories were from pop ( I got fat eating 1 meal a day for years), so when I cut my calories and cut out pop I was actually struggling to get enough calories for a while. Even now, when I "feel" hungry I drink a big glass of water and that usually makes the feeling go away. I've never had a healthy relationship with food and never really learned the difference in my bodies response to hunger vs thirst, so my first step is always a drink of water.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are amazing at what they can do and adjust to. But, you want to make sure you are still taking in a healthy amount of calories. I mean, that your calorie deficit is a reasonable one for you.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    You shouldnt ignore legitimate hunger. Ever.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    So, how long did it take for each of you to finally not feel that tugging feeling when you were hungry from your trimmed calorie diet? I'm currently on week 3 of my diet and exercise plan and I still feel hungry at times. Right now my stomach is a bit achy even though I have almost met my limit for today and have been making decent choices.

Will I eventually get used to it?

I'm never hungry. How many cals are you allowing per day? Hope you arent cutting too much since you look kinda lean in your photo.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I started skipping breakfast. It took 2 weeks for me to no longer want breakfast. ( I usually do leangains style daily fasting)

i used to try the protein route too but it didn't matter. I'd still be hungry 2 hours after breakfast. IT didn't matter if it was healthy irish oats or egg veggie omelet. I'd be hungry with either.

So two weeks and I no longer wanted breakfast. Amazing because I am usually hungry ALL the time.

Then again...there are some weeks I will have breakfast like regular people and be hungry all the time! This was one of those weeks.

Other times..i won't touch breakfast at all.

I find that when i am about to start my period, I want breakfast. When it's over- i am fine and not as hungry.

So it never REALLY goes away. It can come back. I just find that I know there are times i will be able to control it and sometimes i cannot.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    So, how long did it take for each of you to finally not feel that tugging feeling when you were hungry from your trimmed calorie diet? I'm currently on week 3 of my diet and exercise plan and I still feel hungry at times. Right now my stomach is a bit achy even though I have almost met my limit for today and have been making decent choices.

Will I eventually get used to it?

Part of this is figuring out what foods are more satiating than others and you haven't been doing it long enough to have that figured out. One of the best ways to start is make sure each meal or snack has a good mix of fat, fiber and protein. And tricks like drinking something hot (tea or coffee) help with hunger when you know you shouldn't eat.

You will get the hang of it eventually.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I felt the exact same way at first...took about a month and a half for me to adjust to my lower cal daily intake and exercise. I was eating way too much before and not exercising so it took some getting used to the reduction as well as making better choices.

I eat pretty much all of my calories and most of my exercise cals everyday now and actually feel uncomfortably full when I go over on the occassions that I go out to eat/drink with friends! Give yourself some time and don't beat yourself up if you go over...just continue to imrpove your choices and try to stay on track..eventually it will be second nature!
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    When I only ate 1200 calories, this is what I did and it worked:

- Eat more veggie type foods, higher volume/lower calorie
    - Try including more protein or fiber (The stuff that 'sticks' to you)
    - Drink more water/tea/coffee (Anything that isn't full of sugar and calories that can help you feel more satisfied)
    - Chewing gum really helps
    - Space your meals out so you eat every 2 hours

When I ate this way with 1200 calories I wasn't often hungry, I got used to it but I had also been eating that way for months..now that I've raised it to 1600 I'm defiantly not hungry and way less miserable thanks to the energy boost. I also lose more! It still helps to eat this way, I feel like I can stick with it now.
  • bethann4486
    bethann4486 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I went from around 2000 calories a day, I'm sure sometimes more, all the way down to 1200 and it was definitely an adjustment but I also started walking 4 miles every day and always found that just the exercise itsself would help with the cravings, usually once I came back from my walk it woudl take me a long time to be hungry and ready to eat. Filling up on more protein and fiber though will help to keep you full even if they have more calories it's worth every one to not have that nagging feeling in your stomach.
    I've been doing this for over 6 months now and there's no way I could ever eat the way I used to, making the change is hard but SO worth everything in the end. Just keep up the good work! :)

18769506.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I never felt hungry. It was a matter of cutting out certain foods/drinks and instead eating more balanced, whole foods. Just being wiser with choices.
    The times I DO get hungry, I listen to my body and eat more.

*To add to what others are saing, I eat protein and good fats (love avocado) and I try to eat 5 - 6 meals (I usually have a morning and afternoon snack, as well as a dessert)
  • DG82
    DG82 Posts: 105
    Options
    I find I have the same problem too, maybe I should start adding protein to each mean/snack to keep me over... I've been trying really hard to make a huge effort in drinking a LOT more water since I pretty much existed on coffee prior to getting back on MFP. Good luck! We can do this!! :-)
  • profgal43
    profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I will agree with others; protein and healthy fats helps stave off the hunger for me. I love avocado on everything. I have also learned to eat more frequently. When I am hungry I eat something: a greek yogurt, cottage cheese, a piece of fruit... Maybe I 'm wrong but I don't thing you should be hungry all the time. If you are maybe you need a bit more food. I have fallen down in the past because I could only go hungry for so long. I know I can keep this up for the long run because I am not hungry all of the time. Best of luck!:smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    First, I had to differentiate between hunger and boredom. The desire to munch on something isn't the same as true hunger. If I wanted to eat, for instance, an entire bag of Butterfingers, that wasn't hunger. When I'm hungry, I just plain want to eat, not just a craving for a particular food.

Choosing the proper weight loss rate and activity level mattered a lot, too. 1200 calories, even with exercise calories, was too low for me. I never had enough weight to lose to choose 2 pounds a week anyway, so when I moved to one pound a week, and then a half pound a week, it afforded me enough calories to satisfy my hunger.

Having more protein than MFP suggests made a difference, too. Not so much in my appetite, but in my energy and fitness levels. Once I started aiming for 100g of protein a day, I was able to run faster and longer, hold planks longer, do pushups from toes instead of from knees... everything just got easier. And it takes our bodies longer to digest protein than carbs, so we stay feeling full longer. And I love carbs, but their for quick energy... like lighter fluid. Getting more protein and fat is like having a slow burning log catch flame.

Once I figured those things out, I was only hungry when it was time for a meal or a snack. If it was between meals, I had a snack, like a piece of fruit or a protein bar, sometimes a candy bar or ice cream or pretzels. But usually no more than 200 calories. If it was close to meal time, I'd just wait til meal time.