What made you realize you needed to lose weight?

Options
emaildianeb
emaildianeb Posts: 55 Member
I was in my cousins wedding a few years back and when I went for my final fitting, they had to let the dress out. Ugh! I didn't really even realize how bad I was until I saw pictures of me from her wedding. Gross.

My sister and I call those types of pictures our 'have another cheeseburger' pictures. Ugh!

What happened that made you realize you needed to lose the weight?:bigsmile:

Replies

• Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    i'd climb the three flights to my apt and be out of breath, or i was tired just showering and putting on lotion,
    WORST of all i could not comfortably wear my heels any longer.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    When I realized I couldn't wear strappy sandals because I couldn't reach to fasten them. When I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without catching my breath. When my ankles started getting big (I carry all my weight around my stomach I have always had small legs and tiny ankles so it was a shock). And when I realized if I walked to fast my circulation got weird and my legs turned purple and itchy because I didn't have the vein structure to get through the fat on my body. I made a change and I haven't weighed yet but I already feel much better. I do stairs every day now.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    When my unhappiness affected others...and had to buy XL and XXL. That was my turning point.
  • ajohn252
    Options
    First time in my life my clothes were getting uncomfortably tight
    also I noticed walking around my campus was literally killing me
    and I was a sweaty mess by time I got to class.
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    My FAT
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Not being able to get up a flight of stairs without being completely out of breath.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    When I read all the complications obese women can have during pregnancy and delivery.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    My overall discomfort with my body size (clothes fitting or not fitting, the scale, how I looked in a bathing suit, my overall breathing and health)
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I realized that now that I figured out WHY I was gaining (thyroid), I'm on medication and I actually am physically able to change it. I've known I was fat for some time now, but I literally could not lose before I knew this was my problem. I tried and failed, tried and failed. Busted my butt just to gain more.
  • cmpollard01
    Options
    Which time? :wink:

Last year at my grandfather's memorial service, I went to the restroom and the hook & bar closure on my too-tight pants went flying-it just ricocheted off the walls.

But what stuck in my brain and really made me get off my butt?! When the nurse practitioner at my doctor's office didn't want to adjust my thyroid meds (even though levels indicated it was necessary), but did ask if I'd ever considered lap band surgery. Instead of calling her what she was being at the moment, i've just buckled down and shed 48 pounds since that day!
  • byronguy74
    Options
    Health issues (cholesterol, blood sugar, and other issues), clothes not fitting any more, and (probably the biggest motivator) making the x jealous of what she no longer has! :)
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    The fat was hanging over my jeans.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The internet.

Seeing candid photos of me being posted online for all the world to see. I had no idea how awful I looked. What I saw in the mirror every morning (hey good lookin'!) was simply not what I looked like in real life (whoa!).

This was several years ago when I made my first attempt (and lost 50 pounds, which I've maintained). Now I want to lose the rest. And now that I'm no longer obese, I eat a great diet, am active fairly regularly and I'm totally healthy (all biometrics #s are all excellent) it all comes down to how I look in pictures. Again. I'm down to a size 12. I'd like to get to 10, or even an 8.
  • holly2234
    Options
    I saw a hideous fat photo of myself. My mum gave my husband a photo in a frame of me and our daughter and im massive! The photo has never been put up because i dont like looking at it. The ultimate goal is to replace is with a better (50lb lighter!) photo.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Trouble tying my shoes lol. Trouble walking up the steps at home. And the real kicker....I hated what I saw in the mirror!
  • davidr730
    davidr730 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I had a heart attack in February. I signed up for a nutrition class at community college right after. Best thing I ever did.
  • white_horse
    white_horse Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When some routine bloodwork from my doctor came back and showed I was pre-diabetic along with high cholesterol and blood pressure. I have in-laws who are diabetic and I refuse to go down that road. With the changes I've made so far my last 2 lab results showed normal glucose levels along with my cholesterol coming down. High blood pressure is partially genetic but I'm hoping to be able to cut back on those meds as I continue to lose weight.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    So many stores...
    1) Not being able to shop for clothes I LIKE and find them for a decent price. Or finding what I like but having the sense that it just would not look good on me.
    2) Detesting stairs at all costs... they were evil, made me out of breath. Oddly enough I was MUCH worse in school when it was one flight, compared to now with three flights to my apartment and I'm heavier now then than.
    3) Realizing I'm in this awkward place where plus is too big, normal is too small...
    4) Realizing how long it takes to shave my legs... I have more area to shave and then realizing how hard it is to reach the back of my thighs and feel like I got everything.
    5) Dreading shorts, skirts, or anything where I could see my thighs. Calves I gave up on, that was partial soccer. They're the only muscular thing on my body.
    6) Catchnig a glimpse of my growing arms in the side view mirror... that was the last straw. I am NOT getting wings.
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    First my knees screamed at me, (but can't exercise with hurting knees right?) , then my feet chimed in...another great excuse to be a couch potato. Then the 'new' jeans in my panic size....*sigh*. I DO want to be able to play with and enjoy my grand kids. Yep time to do something, my doc saying walking wouldn't do any damage sealed the deal.
  • dadof2boyz
    dadof2boyz Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The mirror every morning - but the final "straw" was the scale - when it showed I had hit 278 lbs - heaviest in my life - I actually scared myself. Attitude adjustment came right after!!