Any ideas for exercise to do at work?

Options
I am a hairstylist....looking for some exercises that would not be EXTREMELY obvious to do at work. I hear ever little bit helps. So instead of sitting on my duff when slow, I would like to find something to do besides walk!

Replies

• Brendajo510
    Options
    There's always stretching and flexing. I remember when I took a belly dancing class with a friend and the instructor used to say if you are every stuck sitting somewhere, flex each thigh/butt muscle back and forth. I guess it's something ;)
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I doubt this qualifies as exercise- but I'm fidgety and I don't fight it. I have a desk job where I can listen to my MP3 most of the time, so I just bounce my leg (I try to alternate though, when I notice I'm doing it, which isn't always). But I do try to stretch out my muscles every so often, and rotate joints so I don't get stiff.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Doing hair, especially a lot of hair, is physical activity, and I think that will suffice. If you log, and I mean really log your foods, have a little patiences, and don't give up, you'll lose the weight.
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    there is stairs if u have them their, standing up sitting down, have a couple small hand weights, that u can lift when not busy with arms, stretching, flexing muscles... chest, stomoche, groin, arms etc. breathing exercises. lifting legs... get some old pantyhose and put a lb or so of sand in it.. flop it over ankle and lift leg under desk. or u cld buy the velcro weight packs... and then if ur wearing long pants or dresses u can wear them all the time. ...
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I doubt this qualifies as exercise- but I'm fidgety and I don't fight it. I have a desk job where I can listen to my MP3 most of the time, so I just bounce my leg (I try to alternate though, when I notice I'm doing it, which isn't always). But I do try to stretch out my muscles every so often, and rotate joints so I don't get stiff.

Fidgety is physical activity. If you're fidgeting all the time, you're burning more calories than a person that doesn't fidget. People with fidgeting disorders have to consume more calories than everybody else because they are constantly burning more calories than the rest of us.
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    When you walk, drop it like its hottttt, lol.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Quickiechick.com is a fun little website with a lot of exercise ideas. This page will take you to the workouts at work area:

http://quickiechick.com/category/quickie-workouts/at-work/

When I'm teaching, I walk as much as possible and add these little workouts every chance I get. Sometimes, the kids look at me funny, but I don't mind. :smile:
  • cloneme_losehalf
    cloneme_losehalf Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!!! Last year I saw a big difference just by moving my computer desk chair and replacing it with a stabalizer ball to sit on. So I know the little things help.
  • mlubbsj
    Options
    There's always stretching and flexing. I remember when I took a belly dancing class with a friend and the instructor used to say if you are every stuck sitting somewhere, flex each thigh/butt muscle back and forth. I guess it's something ;)
    I like this idea!
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I take resistance bands to work.
  • aliadd70
    Options
    I don't have much time to exercise so I am fitting it in wherever, whenever possible. I know people have walked around the corner and wonder what is up with this chic? I sit most of the day. (Now, I am not familiar with exercise names, so please don't laugh at my descriptions!)

At my desk:
    1. I will sometimes lift my foot so I am sitting with one leg straight. I guess that might be considered a leg extension? I will do about 10 of those and switch legs.
    2. Just sit and lift my knee up towards my chest.
    3. My chair is a desk chair, so it swirls around. I will keep upper body still and move hips back and forth so chair is seat is moving back and forth but wheels are staying in one place.

Now I know you are mostly standing, so....

While I am around others, trying not to seem obvious
    1. Just stand there and squeeze butt cheeks together,
    2. Stand on toes and go back down.

When I make copies, scan, get ice at the fridge, stand and bind, I do anything I can. But get red-faced when someone comes around the corner and catches me. Some of these include:
    1. Knee lifts
    2. Lifting foot up behind knee
    3. Kicks to the side

In car I even exercise, just by lifting my left leg and holding it in one place. When stopped at traffic lights, and while always while walking, I do arm exercises. Also when walking, suck in tummy and squeeze those butt cheeks!!!

Hope this wasn't too much info. I am almost embarrassed posting all this, but I felt lost when I had to change my exercise routine. So I try to find ways to fit it in whenever, wherever possible.
  • hteapot
    hteapot Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of fluids during the day...so, naturally, I am in the bathroom a lot :) (we have a one person bathroom) I take that alone time and do squats, lunges and even wall sits and incline pushups on the wall.
  • aliadd70
    Options
    Great idea!
  • misty5976
    misty5976 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    love this topic. i have a sit down job too - and am always wishing i could fit more in during work hours. im tired by the time i get home!

One thing I do - i work in a hospital and we have several restrooms. But i make effort to use one thats on a different floor. and I take the stairs to go to/from the bathroom. I park further away, and also go in the entrance that would cause me to need to climb stairs to get to my office. Instead of putting my 'outgoing' mail in the mail bin ... i take it down to the basement mail room myself about twice a day so that again - im making myself move and use the stairs. i also do leg lifts under my desk, tighten/loosen my abs/butt repeatedly when im just sitting and working... flex/unflex my ankle/foot... Stand up and stretch several times a day... and I, too, am a natrual "fidgeter" ... so i tend to always be moving even if its just jiggling my leg. i dont always log all of it though - i probably should to see how much im actually burning, but a lot of it is not even something i realize im doing. :)