sugestions

Options
Ok I realy need to loose weight but i need a excersize programe that wont hurt my back in the last year i have found out i have 3 things wrong with my back that makes it hard for me to move and in this year i have gained all my weight back that took me so long to loose any sugestions please

Replies

• gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Can you walk? Start there, or ride a stationary bike.
  • ilovemacdonalds
    Options
    hi, my suggestion to you is walking, its really good Ive tried walking on treadmills , which seems to be quite difficult. However i can burn 200 calories in 20 minutes with a medium pace around 3 mph.
  • PatrissiaLu
    Options
    Our Cardio-Boxing coach always tells us that punching/boxing is a great workout for people with back problems. Get a little punching bag and punch it as long as you can or you can just punch into the air... try punching straight out, across, up, down... :-)
  • debyjo1
    Options
    I agree with gsager, Start with walking. It doesn't matter what you do as long as you move. You will gain strength and stamina to increase in time. Do what your body feels it can do. Only you know what that is. When done with your exercise you think, that wasn't too bad, try a little further or a little faster the next time. After awhile you do want to change it up to confuse the muscles.

I am a victim of back injuries myself. I have had surgery on the L4/L5 and am trying to not to have surgery on L4/L3 and C7/C6. It takes time but you can get there. I started with walking. I have joined a gym 2-3 days a week doing the treadmill and bikes. I am now going 5-6 nights aweek. 6 months ago I barely could do 30 minutes on the elliptical or run both because of my back. I have done 3 5K's since March (only 1 did I jog the whole way), and I am now doing 1.5 hours on the elliptical 3 days aweek. burning over a 1000 calories each day. Treadmill one day aweek, and I take classes like pump (core strenghtening and dumbells), Zumba and I am even able to do the step classes now. 2 days aweek. My back has gotten so much stronger. The key for me was to strengthen the core to support the back so I could strenthen the back as well.

In Feb I joined the biggest thriver. Our local gyms version of the biggest loser. Our coach, really push these rules, move every day no matter what it is, min 25 grams of fiber, max 25 grams of fat, and a min of 64 oz of water a day. when the weight came off we were not allowed to say we LOST it. We changed our vocab to we took off, shaved off, dropped, or what ever worked for us. When you lose something you usually find it. we don't want to find the weight we worked so hard to shave off.

I wish you well and the best of luck. If you would like to friend request me so we can encourage each other thru our journeys to better health that would be great.

Journalize everything you eat. "IF YOU NIBBLE IT SCRIBBLE IT"
  • twilightlvr79
    twilightlvr79 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I started out with the elliptical. I have issues with Sciatica (sp?) which have calmed down tremendously with the loss of nearly 40lbs but I found that was the easiest for me at first because it wasn't as much stress on my back. For me walking was hard because it actually aggravated the condition.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I started out with the elliptical. I have issues with Sciatica (sp?) which have calmed down tremendously with the loss of nearly 40lbs but I found that was the easiest for me at first because it wasn't as much stress on my back. For me walking was hard because it actually aggravated the condition.
    This. Ellipticals are great because there's very little to no impact. You might also want to consider swimming. Maybe try to do the Couch to 5K program using the elliptical to increase your endurance.
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    When the weight comes off you will feel better. Walk as much as you can. Talke the steps when you can...You can do this...no excuses!
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your back problems. You're not alone. If you have trouble moving at all perhaps your doctor would prescribe some sessions with a physical therapist. He/she could teach you some exercises to increase core strength without hurting yourself.
    If you are able to walk then walk every day. If you can walk 5 min, then that's where you start.
    If you have access to a pool, and enjoy the water, you might try water aerobics which is less stress on all your joints. I like going to the pool at quiet times and moving in the water in any way I am able. Ani
  • strawberrypj78
    Options
    Thanks im waiting right now for the approval for my physical therapy and i have a appointment for pain managment and i so wish i had a pool but don't I do excersize when my body allows me but their are more days now when i am in pain then with out and when i do excersize i hurt more for about week .... I wish it was just sciatica but they have found out that i have neuropathy through my hole body , arthritis throough my back, and degenerative disc disease plus i have carple tunnel in both hands all this from a car accident i had 5 years ago the hardest part is im only 34 .... and i was doing zumba before my back problems and i loved it and i was walking every where ...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I would recommend strengthening your core..planks, sit ups, crunches, obliques, etc. Also do pull ups and chin ups. Not sure what the nature of your back problem is...but I think - and this is jus me thinking - that if you did back excercises with proper form that that would actualy help your back...but your should probably check with a personal trainer or your physical therapist...

You could also do interval training..sprints ..o just walk andthen jog walk/jog....
  • worldofme
    worldofme Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    So, I am an expert by no means....but in my personal experience (previous back fracture) when I started (at 282 pounds, 309 at my largest) I couldn't do anything but walk and that still hurt my back. However, the paraspinal muscles and the abdominals work together to keep the core strong. When people hear 'core' they only think of abdominals but that is not the case. Abs are only 1/2 of it, paraspinals are the other. So, concentrate on abdominals and as you strengthen those muscles you will be strengthening your paraspinals as well. This will help keep your back from hurting when you walk. Do your ab workout on your bed not the floor to keep the pressure off of your spine. Now as far as walking, I suggest the Leslie Sansone Walk at Home DVD's or Debra Mazda Shapely Girls DVD's. This was the only workout that I did in the first 40 pounds lost. You can go to Leslie's website and try some of the free routines she has on her website before you decide to purchase anything. Check out Debra's stuff on Youtube. Currently I am hooked on Debra's step video. I also do a lot of toning with hand weights and in between sets I do air punches.

Like you, I started knowing I needed to move but not knowing how to do it without further injury. Plus, I was so large that I really wanted to know what 'big' girls did. That is how I came across the walking DVD's. I think I did some search on youtube and then just found stuff I could do. Just start small by moving each day. The next day, move a little more than the day before.

~Sandi
  • strawberrypj78
    Options
    Thank you so much i will look those up its nice to have someone with knowing what back pain is to give me advice right now i try to just do like 5 / 10 min a day if i can its just so hard to stand i have been big for years annd it has been a struggle to loose it becouse my body gets to a certain weight and stops but i never had back pains this bad before and i know if i do something wrong i can just injure myself more ..
  • worldofme
    worldofme Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Preventing injury is paramount! Listen to your body, it will tell you when you need to change up routines.....
  • strawberrypj78
    Options
    I looked them up thanks im going to start them after i get over this flu my son brought in and the hole house has been sick all weekend have a great day