Dieting While at College??

Options
Hi everyone, I've started MFP last week, and as you can guess by the topic, I am currently attending college. I am living on campus in a dorm, and I am having difficulty coming up with exercises I can do in such a small space. I also was looking for anyone else who might be in a similar situation? How have you managed to keep weight off when you are living in such a small area with limited options for food? Thanks!

Kerri

Replies

• reallyally1
    Options
    I'm also a college student losing weight. Every campus has a FREE athletic center - use it! Also, steal fruit from the cafeteria.
  • kl3w
    kl3w Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I did low carb while at college. It kept me full enough that I wasn't going for the junk food in the caf. Also, progresso weight-watcher soups are great!!! You can microwave them, so you can make them in the dorm, they taste great, and they're low in calories and filling! They're also relatively inexpensive and you can catch them on sale every so often for like 2 for $3.

Definitely steal fruit from the caf too and keep something healthy in your backpack at all times so you don't run for the unhealthy snacks that abound.

As far as exercising, see if your rec center offers any classes. Mine always had a free yoga class, and for a few semesters they had kickboxing and water aerobics. And a few mornings a week they had free personal training.

Hope this helps!
  • softball93
    Options
    See, the weird thing about my college is that our rec center/workout area used to be the YMCA (we had free memberships as students). But then this year they cancelled that contract, and I haven't looked into/don't know if I could afford a membership. But as far as the fruit from the cafeteria, I am definitely doing that. Apples and baby carrots are the main things and really only healthy option that I can find up there.
  • softball93
    Options
    I will also look into the progressive soups, great idea!
  • Spencevoss
    Options
    It's also the little things that count. Is your dorm multifloor? Go and do an extra lap on the stairs. It may not seem like a lot but if you do that twice a day it will add up in the end.

College was when I started to put on my weight and its taken a while to get most of it off. It's good that you're trying to get going on it now! I wish I'd done the same!
  • kl3w
    kl3w Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well if you've got enough space for a yoga mat, you can do yoga in your dorm. I did it all the time. Our RA's used to walk the building when it was cold outside. We had three floors and 2 flights of stairs so they would walk up one flight, cross the hall, and down the other flight to do it again. If the weather is nice, you can just walk campus or find a nearby park with walking paths. If you can buy some 3-5 lb free weights there's a lot of toning you can do in your room - sometimes you can even find them at thrift stores for much cheaper than regular stores. Just make sure you keep moving - walk to class, take the stairs, anything that keeps you active.
  • softball93
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the tips and ideas! I will definitely be looking into getting some weights for my room, and also look into yoga. (: Thanks!