Runner's HELP! Foot/Heel/Arch Pain

Options
Hello to all you runners!

I have been running for about a year now. Nothing long distance...only about 5 miles a day (averaging about 7mph). I got married and went on my honeymoon and thus, took a month or two off from daily running.

Since I've returned to running, I've developed this sharp pain in the bottom of my right foot (in the lower arch, right above my heel). This has been going on for a few months. At first I thought maybe it was just a strained muscle from being out of shape, and then I googled it and all sorts of things popped up. In general, it doesn't hurt at all when I am actually running...but rather, it hurts when I walk and ESPECIALLY in the morning when I get up after sleeping all night.

I know no one can diagnose it, but I am just curious if anyone else has had this issue? Has it gone away? What was it?

Replies

• chestnutbrown
    Options
    could be plantar fasciitis - the tendon that runs from your heel bone to the ball of your foot can get over stretched and start to pull away from your heel bone causing pain that is often worse on standing when you've been off your feet for a while. I think it's also linked to a tight achilles tendon.

I had it for a long time, it's hell. the only thing that helped me was orthotic insoles from a podiatrist, they support your arch and lift your heel slightly, easing off the overstretch. The also recommended gentle calf stretching exercises.

Go to a podiatrist, even if it's not plantar fasciitis, they'll be able to diagnose and treat it. look after your feet and they'll look after you! :wink:
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I'm actually having this problem as we speak - I also have a little knot/bump in the area where it hurts. I talked with my boyfriend (who's an Exercise Physiologist) and he said it's probably Plantar Fascitis (I know I prob spelled that wrong). So I WebMD'd it and at home treatments include rest, ice, NSAIDs, better fitting shoes, and stretching.
  • jobee3
    jobee3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Plantar Fascitis. Stretching really helps.

Try rolling a golf or tennis ball over the area to help break it up (ball on floor, you roll it around with your foot). It made a world of difference for me.
  • oldsalty1
    Options
    Have to agree with the ball and rubbing your foot over it...for several minutes a few times a day...
    Also...stretch...stretch...stretch...Make sure you use the stretch that includes pulling you foot up to as close to your butt as you can...same arm on same foot...make sense...This exercise cured my problem...
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    What kinds of shoes do you wear when you are NOT running? I am a high heel addict (I could buy a house with what I spent on shoes). I suffered with PF and Achilles issues for months, and the sports chiro said that foot issue are really common with women as we wear crappy shoes with no support, we wear heels, and then slip on running shoes afterwards.

So I dont wear my heels as much any more and I am more conscious about the support my everyday shoes offer. Right now, as it is casual Friday, I am wearing my Z coils. Ugly as sin but have really made a difference!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Foam roll your calves, work on flexibility and strengthening your lower legs and lots of stretching. I have a golf ball and a Rubz ball I massage my facia of my feet out with every night. Walk barefoot more to make your feet stretch and strengthen as well.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Pain in the morning or after sitting for a long time is classic plantar fasciitis. I've had it for years. And my doc says, do mega stretches, wear a night split to keep it stretched, wear good quality insoles, don't run on pavement if I have another option (dirt trails, treadmill) and he's pushing for me to get cortisone shots in my heels because mine is pretty severe. It sucks. I feel your pain.
  • jobeth527
    Options
    Ice and Advil! That's what I have to do daily and it's getting much better! Still hurts but bearable now ~ a week ago I was hurting so bad to walk that I was almost crying with every step. Hope you find some relief soon!
  • kellys444
    kellys444 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've also had this pain for over a year now. I use a rolling pin to stretch and massage the bottom of my foot. I find it works better than golf or tennis balls. You can also use the pin the massage your shins and calf. It is painful, but helps to loosen the muscles.
  • Lillyrose125
    Lillyrose125 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You probably have plantar fascia which I'm the queen of! Suffering from it again right now. The biggest sign of this is pain in your heel(s) first thing in the morning. You have to do some special stretching exercises for this and ice it. There are little pads you can wear around the middle of your foot with your shoe that will give you some relief. The other thing is a heel spur which is something a podiatrist could tell you.

Keeping your calves stretched and limber is a big part of not getting PF.

Sit on a chair (3 times a week with 8 to 10 reps for first week) and put your foot across your lap. Take your toes and pull your foot back toward you. Push a little on your heel. Hold an ice cube on your heel in a cloth a few times a day. I have other things you can do. Search online and you will find all sorts of things. It can be a very painful thing. Don't go barefoot but have arch support.
  • Double_Tapp
    Options
    I actually had the same problem with my left foot and thought it was Plantar Fascitis, but I went to Elite Sports and was professionally fitted for shoes and told them about the pain. They analyzed my gate and tested my flexibility and told me that my calf muscle was too tight. They introduced me to "The Stick" I rolled in on my calf as directed and it removed the knots and tension, now I am pain free!
  • ecgwood
    Options
    could be plantar fasciitis - the tendon that runs from your heel bone to the ball of your foot can get over stretched and start to pull away from your heel bone causing pain that is often worse on standing when you've been off your feet for a while. I think it's also linked to a tight achilles tendon.

I had it for a long time, it's hell. the only thing that helped me was orthotic insoles from a podiatrist, they support your arch and lift your heel slightly, easing off the overstretch. The also recommended gentle calf stretching exercises.

Go to a podiatrist, even if it's not plantar fasciitis, they'll be able to diagnose and treat it. look after your feet and they'll look after you!

This is exactly what happened to me! And the exact treatment that made it better. I now run with an orthotic in my left shoe and have had no further problems in the past 18 months. She is right! See a podiatrist asap!
  • jwh225
    jwh225 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a Podiatrists could probably diagnose and recommend a course of treatment.
  • commandax
    commandax Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I encountered this problem for several weeks recently, about a month after I started muay thai. I was hobbling around most of the day, especially first thing in the morning, and it was really uncomfortable to get up on the ball of my foot, which is where you are during most of a muay thai workout.

My trainer told me to ice. My research indicated that calf stretching might help. Other people in the gym said that reflexologists had told them that that part of the foot (right arch) corresponds to the kidneys, and pain there could indicate inadequate hydration.

So I started doing twice daily ice baths (first thing in the morning, and when I get home from working out), stretching more before the workouts (calf raises, toe curls, forward bend, downward dog, seated hand-to-foot stretch) and tried to drink more water. Just before the workout, I also massaged the arch of my foot with a mentholated liniment to warm it up more. The pain went away within a few days, which was a huge relief!
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    First, go to a dr for a correct diagnosis. But if you want to try stretching it to see if it helps, try rolling your foot on a golf ball or something similar. It will stretch it out and may offer some relief. Also, maybe try foam rolling your lower legs. There may be some sore muscles that you are using your foot to cover for without realizing it?
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    This is most likely Plantar fasciitis I have had this for over a year. I wear custom orthotic inserts or crocs all the time, no more being barefoot for me. When it is really flaring up I freeze a water bottle and while standing roll the bottle under my foot. It hurts but the cold and pressure helps the muscle relax so that the pain will subside. I already have a sizable heel spur on my right heel from the tendon being too tight. Stretching is your friend folks! The sucky thing is that this really isn't weight related so while losing more weight won't hurt it won't really help me get rid of it either. My mom has a case of this so bad that she couldn't sleep and finally had to wear a night splint to keep her foot at the right angle. This is pretty rare though according to our podiatrist. My pain use to be so bad that I had to get a shot of cortisone injected into each foot. I'm linking a PDF from my Dr's site that has really helped me while dealing with PF.

http://www.pwfoot.com/docs/HEEL PAIN Instructions - 6.2011.pdf
  • As above, it sounds, without actually looking like it, as plantar fasciitis. There are the basic remedies; RICE. Rest, ice, compression and elevation. I would advise speaking to a Pod. as they might help you find the cause. They also can give you some home exercises to do to 'work' your foot and make the problem less occurant in the future.

If you have a sharp, stabbing pain when you get up from sitting or first get up in the morning then it will nearly 100% be PF.
  • hamartin3684
    Options
    Hey Ash,
    Have you been sized and measure for your running shoe? I had this problem and when I changed to my mizzuno's it went away!

-Heather
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    From your post it sounds like you're running every day. Bad idea. do something else on alternate days so you can recover. Vary your runs both for distance and pace so you develop and rest different muscles and systems. This will help your injury, prevent further injury, and will it will be better for your fitness.