Ok I am officially confused (eat cals back or not?!?!)

Options

Replies

• eyebex
    eyebex Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    MFP currently has me eating 1760 calories in order to loose 1lb per week.

I eat SOME of my exercise calories back but only IF I feel hungry. If I am not hungry I don't eat. At 1760 calories per day I don't have any concerns about getting enough nutrition.

I rarely eat ALL of my calories back for two reasons:

1. If I had not done any exercise my body would still burn some calories just resting so the NET extra calories burned in any given exercise is actually slightly less than what any particular activity burns in an amount of time.

2. Determining calories burned during exercise is tricky and really only a rough approximation at best. There is a decent chance that exercise calories may be over estimated and to eat them ALL back could result in exceeding my daily goal of 1760.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you that I do eat mine back, and its working fine for me. I also wear a HRM so that I have a more accurate calories burned count.

^This!

I eat ALL my exercise calories because:
    1. I know what my calorie burns are (HRM)
    2. I set my activity level to sedentary
    3. I log only "real" workouts ..... not walking the dog
    4. I want to lose fat and NOT muscle (too high calorie deficit ... & you will lose muscle)
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Not to speak for him, but I took his comment to mean this: there is a search function that anyone can use to find threads about this. Not sticking up for anyone, just giving my opinion.
    While that may be true, each person has a choice as to whether or not they want to take part in these forums. If a person finds it so exasperating to see the same questions asked, that person has the option of not reading the forums, and their response is certainly not required. If the thought of seeing a completely understandable question bothers that person so much, perhaps he out to take responsibility and stay away from the message boards or refrain from responding, rather than expecting anyone else to avoid asking questions that annoy him.
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Not to speak for him, but I took his comment to mean this: there is a search function that anyone can use to find threads about this. Not sticking up for anyone, just giving my opinion.
    While that may be true, each person has a choice as to whether or not they want to take part in these forums. If a person finds it so exasperating to see the same questions asked, that person has the option of not reading the forums, and their response is certainly not required. If the thought of seeing a completely understandable question bothers that person so much, perhaps he out to take responsibility and stay away from the message boards or refrain from responding, rather than expecting anyone else to avoid asking questions that annoy him.

Gotcha
  • gingerjen7
    Options

Gotcha
    Wow; I'm used to less mature responses. Thank you for a surprisingly pleasant exchange.
  • RenfieldX
    RenfieldX Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Whether or not you eat them back is completely and totally dependent on how you set your activity level when you were setting up your profile/goals with MFP. If your activity level includes exercise/workouts, then you SHOULD NOT be eating them back. If it doesn't account for exercise, than you SHOULD be eating them back.

Further reading:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/383956-exercise-calories-explained

^^^This

While there seems to be a lot of debate on this subject, I can say that I've personally had success by eating them back (with my activity level in my profile set as sedentary). Once caveat: I feel that MFP overestimates the number of calories burned, so I tend to only eat back 1/2 to 3/4 of the exercise calories most days.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I eat ALL my exercise calories because:
    1. I know what my calorie burns are (HRM)
    2. I set my activity level to sedentary
    3. I log only "real" workouts ..... not walking the dog
    4. I want to lose fat and NOT muscle (too high calorie deficit ... & you will lose muscle)

DITTO!! I'm set at 1330 per day NET and Number 3 is a biggie!!

ETA: I also found that when I net too low, I would plateau big time!! I also felt weak, tired, and grumpy. I'm much more consistant and 'stable' now! :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Does that then imply that it's not also completely understandable to hope that people will search before posting, or at the very least read through the first page of the forum topics before posting?

And yes, I do understand that new people join all the time. Do you/they understand that I answer this question daily? So while you ask me to be more understanding of new people, perhaps you should be a little more understanding of the repetition some of us deal with in answering these questions in an attempt to help people.

Furthermore, I do understand that I don't have to participate in the forums if I don't want to... but "so exasperating"? Seriuosly? I participate in the forums because I like helping people learn, and if it weren't for people like me trying to teach (for lack of a better word), the forums would be full of "it works for me so you should do it to" advice, which is bad in almost every way possible.
  • gingerjen7
    Options
    Does that then imply that it's not also completely understandable to hope that people will search before posting, or at the very least read through the first page of the forum topics before posting?
    It is understandable to hope that people will search the board, but it is not understandable to expect people to search the boards first. You can only control you, and if you have expectations for a bunch of strangers on the internet, you are going to find yourself disappointed a lot.
    Do you/they understand that I answer this question daily? So while you ask me to be more understanding of new people, perhaps you should be a little more understanding of the repetition some of us deal with in answering these questions in an attempt to help people.
    No, I do not understand that. If you don't want to answer the question, don't answer it. Are people specifically seeking you out and asking you this? If not, then you've nothing to complain about because you're the one choosing to participate. You absolutely do not have to deal with anything. You are making the choice to, so that's on you, not on other people.
    Furthermore, I do understand that I don't have to participate in the forums if I don't want to... but "so exasperating"? Seriuosly?
    You made a distinct point of expressing exasperation with the topic coming up by including your *sigh* in your response.
    I participate in the forums because I like helping people learn, and if it weren't for people like me trying to teach (for lack of a better word), the forums would be full of "it works for me so you should do it to" advice, which is bad in almost every way possible.
    If you like helping people, that's fine. But if that's the case, don't act like you don't like it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It is understandable to hope that people will search the board, but it is not understandable to expect people to search the boards first. You can only control you, and if you have expectations for a bunch of strangers on the internet, you are going to find yourself disappointed a lot.
    Do you/they understand that I answer this question daily? So while you ask me to be more understanding of new people, perhaps you should be a little more understanding of the repetition some of us deal with in answering these questions in an attempt to help people.
    No, I do not understand that. If you don't want to answer the question, don't answer it. Are people specifically seeking you out and asking you this? If not, then you've nothing to complain about because you're the one choosing to participate. You absolutely do not have to deal with anything. You are making the choice to, so that's on you, not on other people.
    Furthermore, I do understand that I don't have to participate in the forums if I don't want to... but "so exasperating"? Seriuosly?
    You made a distinct point of expressing exasperation with the topic coming up by including your *sigh* in your response.
    I participate in the forums because I like helping people learn, and if it weren't for people like me trying to teach (for lack of a better word), the forums would be full of "it works for me so you should do it to" advice, which is bad in almost every way possible.
    If you like helping people, that's fine. But if that's the case, don't act like you don't like it.

I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the worst. You're very good-looking. I'm not attractive.
  • jroselive2012
    Options
    If you are losing pant sizes and inches AND looking better who cares what the scale says! Don't let the scale dictate how you feel about yourself and don't fixate on one specific number!

As for eating back your exercise calories - you are going to get a ton of answers on this pros and cons. Personally I eat my exercise calories back. Here's a response that I recently posted on a similar thread - I eat my exercise calories back - (example) If you eat 1400 calories and then burn 500 through exercise your NET for the day is only 900. (1400-500=900). Logic, Science and my own body's intuition tell me this is too low. That's why I subscribe to the idea that you need to eat above your BMR and below your TDEE. I have in the past eaten below BMR and wound up hitting a long long plateau. Once I upped my calories I saw the type of results I'm looking for. This is just what works for me and my goals.

I will put a word of caution out there for those of you eating below BMR - sometimes it works great for awhile but eventually you may hit the mother of all plateau's (lol I know I've been there). Too few calories can cause the body's metabolism to slow way down to accommodate the constant shortage. Instead of losing fat you start to lose lean muscle mass, result soft and doughy. And the kicker is you don't feel hungry either.

For me it was definitely worth upping the calories! To each is own

^^^ This, for sure.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    eat
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are following MFP's caloric intake guideline, the Yes. If you are using cals from a professional or from another site, most likely no as they would have given you much more than MFP did.

As an example say MFP gives you 1450 calories to lose 1 lb/week, and you plan on exercising 5x/week for an average of 400 cals per workout. well MFP will tell you to eat 1450 on the days you don't workout and 1850 on the days you do whereas a "professional" may tell you to eat 1700 everyday regardless if you workout.

So for the week MFP will have you eat 12,150 (1450*2+1850*5) whereas doing it the other way will have you eat 11,900 (1700*7) almost the same number of cals for the week (250 dif). The issue in not following MFP is if you don't workout the full 5 days or burn more or less than planned. If that is the case you may lose more or less than your goal, whereas MFP will have you lose your goal amount regardless how much you actually workout.

What many MFPers do is take the low 1450 and not eat back exercise calories which is wrong, if you are not eating them back then your daily activity level should reflect the higher burn with would be covered in the 1700/day above.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Yes, exercise calories taste better.

No one can tell you what to do, you can choose to follow MFP's recommendations (eat the exercise calories) or not. Maybe try both ways and see what floats your boat.
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I would say try it and see. It does NOT work for me, but it DOES work for a LOT of people here. If it worked, I would be all over it :) So I would do trial and error. See what happens. Also, as others have said, maybe eat only half or so back as they seem to be overestimated. GOod luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would say try it and see. It does NOT work for me, but it DOES work for a LOT of people here. If it worked, I would be all over it :) So I would do trial and error. See what happens. Also, as others have said, maybe eat only half or so back as they seem to be overestimated. GOod luck!

The only way it won't work for everyone is if:
    You have a hormonal issue (i.e. Thyroid);
    Have less than average muscle mass, for your gender, age, weight, height (lower BMR);
    over estimate calories burned from exercise (most machines and MFP over estimate);
    Under estimating what you actually ate (If you don't measure liquids and weigh dry food then you are probably under estimating);
    picked the wrong activity level; or
    picked a much too aggressive weekly weight loss goal, that given your stats your body just can't lose that fast
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    here's what i do...i set my cals at maintenance, eat that, workout, but don't eat back cals. that way if i stay at maintenance AND workout i know i'm at a deficit. the only time i will eat back is if i have a ridiculous burn that day (600+) so that i at least stay over 1200 cals for the day.

And I'm kind of the opposite...I eat about 500 under my (sedentary) TDEE and then (generally) eat back my exercise calories. So, on my rest days I'm still eating under and (hopefully) losing about a pound a week.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'm stupid. You're smart. I was wrong. You were right. You're the best. I'm the worst. You're very good-looking. I'm not attractive.

LOL! I was wondering when people would just give up with her..I was having fun watching.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    If you want to preserve lean muscle mass and lose weight a little more slowly, eat them.

If you want to lose muscle mass and lose weight faster, don't.
  • gingerjen7
    Options

This is the sort of thing I was referring to when I said I'm used to less mature responses.