Sugar & will power.............

Options
So my two biggest problems are sugar and will power. I want anything sweet no matter how I distract myself of try to talk myself out of it. I can NOT say no. After I eat any meal I crave something sweet! Any ideas on shutting the sugar monster up?? I have no willpower on eating either. If it's there, I'm going to eat it!
So needless to say with kids and a hubby that loves sweets and food in general, how do I stay on the right track?
Not buying it is not an option, I would have a very ill hubby!

Replies

• digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I found that increasing my fat intake and looking for nutrient dense foods reduced my desire for sweet things.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    How about finding things that satisfy the sweet tooth but aren't really "bad"? For instance, strawberries with some cool whip on top. Still a nice treat but the strawberries are good for you and the coop whip is not that much in added calories and sugar. Or greek yogurt mixed with some cream cheese, a little agave nectar, lemon and blueberries? Still sweet but healthier for sure. I guess I'm suggesting tricking yourself in to thinking you are having dessert when really it's not so bad. The best of both worlds!
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I have a major sweet tooth too. I'm not saying it's completely under control, but it's greatly reduced since I stop drinking diet soda. I started in January basically to do it for a month to just get the chemicals out of system. I totally planned on drinking it again. I noticed very quickly that my craving of sugar greatly reduced. I was a person who had 4-5 stashes of sweets around the house to dip into that my hubby and kids didn't know about. I'd eat candy, cake, cookies every day and just couldn't resist. I can actually resist and most of the time I'm not tempted. It's been freedom for me to not be chained to a Butterfinger Crisp bar. Too not have ice cream every night.

Now the DTs from quitting diet soda took about 2 months. Not so much my body craved it, but I had little rituals tied too it. Kids are down sit and relax with a glass of ice and diet soda. While waiting to pick kids up from school need my 2 cans poured over ice in my plastic cup with straw. Things like that. Water was hard at the time. Now it's no big deal. I don't have artifical sweetners in anything. I now treat it like I have an allergy to it.

I'm not a big coffee drinker, but I occasionally have it I use sugar. With my unflavored unsweetened yogurt I use honey.

I drink a lot of water. DH drinks a lot of herbal tea.
  • brandypinky22
    brandypinky22 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Instead of trying to rely on willpower instead use the strategy that you will just have something as a substitute. A piece of fruit can actually make for yummy dessert after a meal. If you know you are going to want a little something sweet plan it into your daily intake. Making a plan that you can live with long term doesn't mean never eating what you love but moderation is the key to everything. Try eating half the portion you normally would or just a few bites. Often you will find your craving is satisfied after a few bites and then you don't go overboard.

If you want to work on cutting down the cravings, try eating all whole wheat grains, lean proteins, and fruits and veggies for one week. When I eat like this my sugar cravings go away or at least get better.
  • Kris1997
    Options
    I have stopped drinking soda's completely not even diet. Coffee I drink black, and the green tea I drink I use splenda for that. Fuits are good for sugar but I tend to want to put chocolate on EVERYTHING! LOL
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    On days I can't live without something sweet, I will eat a small portion of whatever it is that I'm craving, and follow up immediately with something delicious but sugar-free. That way I'm not craving sweets/chocolate and the taste doesn't sit in my mouth reminding me of the delicious chocolate I can't have! 9 times out of 10 I end up craving what I ate after the sweets. It's my secret weapon to get rid of cravings.
  • Courtney_7790
    Options
    I have a major sweet tooth too. I'm not saying it's completely under control, but it's greatly reduced since I stop drinking diet soda. I started in January basically to do it for a month to just get the chemicals out of system. I totally planned on drinking it again. I noticed very quickly that my craving of sugar greatly reduced. I was a person who had 4-5 stashes of sweets around the house to dip into that my hubby and kids didn't know about. I'd eat candy, cake, cookies every day and just couldn't resist. I can actually resist and most of the time I'm not tempted. It's been freedom for me to not be chained to a Butterfinger Crisp bar. Too not have ice cream every night.

Now the DTs from quitting diet soda took about 2 months. Not so much my body craved it, but I had little rituals tied too it. Kids are down sit and relax with a glass of ice and diet soda. While waiting to pick kids up from school need my 2 cans poured over ice in my plastic cup with straw. Things like that. Water was hard at the time. Now it's no big deal. I don't have artifical sweetners in anything. I now treat it like I have an allergy to it.

I'm not a big coffee drinker, but I occasionally have it I use sugar. With my unflavored unsweetened yogurt I use honey.

I drink a lot of water. DH drinks a lot of herbal tea.

This was really helpful to me! I never used to have sugar cravings at all, i was feeling really healthy and down to a size 4 and i was mantaining for about a year...then i started drinking diet soda now it became a regular thing as well as sugar free goodies...and since then i crave sugar and candy all the time i cant go a week without it! Im going to give this a try and see if i can get control of this...thanks!