Down syndrome boy banned from AA flight

Options

Replies

• Jan72002
    Options
    A decision was made at that moment. These types of decisions are made everyday. I assume you disagree with this one, but I hardy think it is a 'sky is falling' moment.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Doesn't make it right and whatever happened to a little humanity and compassion??
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    I hate when I see people with disabilities being mistreated, there is nothing worse, but I also know how unpredictable they can be at times. If he was agitated and a flight risk as they determined, I think they did nothing wrong in this situation.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I would like to know what classifies as "agitated". But if he was truly out of control, there's no reason why they should've allowed him on the flight. He posed a flight risk. That's extremely dangerous to put someone like that (agitated -- not with Down's) up in the air. What if he had broken into the pilots cabin? What if he had injured someone around him?

Just because you have a disability, that's not a license for poor behavior in public.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I would like to know what classifies as "agitated". But if he was truly out of control, there's no reason why they should've allowed him on the flight. He posed a flight risk. That's extremely dangerous to put someone like that (agitated -- not with Down's) up in the air. What if he had broken into the pilots cabin? What if he had injured someone around him?

Just because you have a disability, that's not a license for poor behavior in public.

^^^I feel the same way.
  • Michelle_Nicole
    Michelle_Nicole Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    stories like this piss me off! I dont think this kid was doing anything dangerous to the flight and putting lives at risk. I have an autistic brother who is sometimes loud and when he gets frustrated he yells and carries on but is no risk to anyones safety. People need to chill out and have some damn compassion.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Per the video... he was chewing on his hat... I don't think he was a risk at all. The mom on the other hand was clearly going bat **** crazy and more agitated than their son.

In this case alone, it does look sh*tty for the airline. Like they didn't want them in first class.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    If they're not giving a boy with Downs a hard time, they're doling it out to disabled veterans and their dogs... :angry: :grumble:

http://now.msn.com/disabled-veteran-says-united-airlines-kicked-dog-and-asked-if-he-was-retarded
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Per the video... he was chewing on his hat... I don't think he was a risk at all. The mom on the other hand was clearly going bat **** crazy and more agitated than their son.

In this case alone, it does look sh*tty for the airline. Like they didn't want them in first class.

Is he actually on the plane in the Video? I can't see it for some reason. If not, there is no way for us to say he was or was not a flight risk.
  • Michelle_Nicole
    Michelle_Nicole Posts: 95 Member
    Options

I understand what you mean and I agree that I would like to know how "agitated" he was. But from personal experiance with my brother some people exaggerate how bad a disabled persons behavior can be. I once had Peter with me at the market and he got upset when I wouldnt buy him something, he hollered and dropped tha candy bar on the ground but I calmed him down in less then 5 minutes. Some worker came up to me and told me we had to leave as Peter was disturbing the other customers and asked us not to come back. A lot of people just look at those with disabilities and assume they will do something terrible
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't see how this is worthy of news coverage. Should be between the family and the airline, and their lawyers if need be.
  • jeanzbeanz
    Options
    Puhlease. He was not agitated, was an experienced flyer and if he is 'threat' - then the airlines need to reinforce their cockpit doors. The airline also went out of their way to bar him from this flight AND placed him and his parents in the very last row in Coach class of the next flight - and made sure no one was seated around them.

I have a young adult with special needs - I don't know how this mom kept it together. Thankfully, most of the airport security and airline employees I have encountered have treated my daughter with respect, compassion and patience.

My husband was lucky enough to get upgraded to first class and was sat right in front of two screaming kids who alternated kicking the seat and running up and down the aisle. You think they got kicked off?
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I don't see how this is worthy of news coverage. Should be between the family and the airline, and their lawyers if need be.

Dude, right? I mean... Kate Middleton's boobs are all over. FOCUS PEOPLE!
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    My husband was lucky enough to get upgraded to first class and was sat right in front of two screaming kids who alternated kicking the seat and running up and down the aisle. You think they got kicked off?

Don't even get me on my soapbox about kids on flights.
  • BeingAwesome247
    Options
    Obviously the video only shows a small portion, however the parents say he's an experienced flyer and in the video, he's calmly sitting in a chair...playing with his hat.

I went to school with two boys with down syndrome and NOT ONCE in TWO YEARS did I ever see them agitated. They were two of the sweetest kids I've ever known and MAJORITY of kids with down syndrome don't have an aggressive bone in their body.

The difference between this flight and ever other was that they booked 1st class tickets....I don't think that's just coincidence

And I'm curious...being that this is a fitness site...would ppl get more upset by someone overweight not being allowed on the flight b/c they didn't purchase a 2nd seat?
  • TangledUp_InBlue
    TangledUp_InBlue Posts: 397 Member
    Options

I think I know what you're trying to say, but many kids on the spectrum (like my son) can't control their emotions and behavior like most can. He can't regulate himself like others.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    You do not have a god given right to fly on an airplane. It is a private enterprise and they can choose who flies and who doesn't. Sorry, but that's how it is.
  • odusgolp
    Options

Is he actually on the plane in the Video? I can't see it for some reason. If not, there is no way for us to say he was or was not a flight risk.

They never let him on the plane. He wasn't "removed" as a flight risk, so no... the footage is not on the plane.

But of course there's no way anyone would know for sure, she was, in fact, told she's not allowed to video the situation :)
  • BeingAwesome247
    Options
    If they're not giving a boy with Downs a hard time, they're doling it out to disabled veterans and their dogs... :angry: :grumble:

http://now.msn.com/disabled-veteran-says-united-airlines-kicked-dog-and-asked-if-he-was-retarded

I heard about this!! It's just sad :frown: and adds to my personal long list of reasons I wont' fly
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Wondering, how many people would be okay sitting in the middle seat of a 3 hour flight next to someone that was acting out on their impulses if he/she wasn't your own child or sibling?