Stress NOT eaters

Options
When I am really really stressed I tend to feel very sick and not eat :( ATM I am really struggling to get DS2 to school and I have 2 hours of cajoling and shouting every morning...this is not good for my mental or physical health and I keep feeling really nauseous. I am trying very hard to keep to my 1500 calories a day though.

Anyone else suffer this way rather than by over eating?

Replies

• jenniejoy07
    jenniejoy07 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. When I am stressed out I do not eat and I get sick to my stomach. I think of it as a cursing and bless. At least i'm not gorging myself on chocolates and sweets like other people do when they are stressed, but then I struggle to read my daily caloric intake on those days. I'm in optometry school and am constantly taking exams and in the clinic so it's very stressful. With national board exams coming up in the spring I can't imagine what my eating habits are going to be like. I just try to plan super healthy meals and eat them whether i'm hungry or not if I know i'm stressed out.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    That's me exactly, stress makes my stomach shut down, it's like it clamps up tight. Trying to force food down makes me feel nauseous. The only thing that seems to work is to try and drink my calories.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    yup. i hear you.

stress and anxiety makes me lose my appetite.

when i'm happy and carefree and haven't a care in the world, i'm like 'GIVE ME TACOS AND COOKIES I LOVE ALL TEH THINGS!!'
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Here I thought I was the only one. I tend to not eat when I'm upset or stressed. My stomach gets to where it says "Nu uh." There have been times when I have forced myself to eat when stressed and usually ten seconds later i vomit, literally. All i do is either workout or drink water until i feel hungry again.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I'm another one that can't eat when I'm stressed. I'm just not hungry, AT ALL. Blech!
  • lisasch67
    lisasch67 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've fallen into this category. I can't eat now when I am stressed. It ruins my appetite, I get sick. I'm just realizing it now from tracking my food. I used to be the other way, a huge over eater, but now that I have put so much work into losing weight I freak out and don't want to stress eat it back so I shut down and barely eat anything... like lunch today was pretty bad. I am actually going to get something else to eat because my protein is so low and I feel awful. I am trying to figure out a better way to deal with this.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Here I thought I was the only one. I tend to not eat when I'm upset or stressed. My stomach gets to where it says "Nu uh." There have been times when I have forced myself to eat when stressed and usually ten seconds later i vomit, literally. All i do is either workout or drink water until i feel hungry again.

i hear you on the vomit thing.

i have an anxiety disorder and i DO literally lose whatever's in my stomach when my anxiety is very high. i also get uncontrollable gagging. the slightest bad smell or thought will literally make me gag.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I lose my appetite too - a big part of joining MFP for me has been trying to get my eating patterns more stable. Eating little or nothing, sometimes for days, with Chinese takeaways and alcohol as replacements did me no favours whatsoever...
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    When I am stressed I don't eat either! My stomach is either too upset or my brain is overloaded with thoughts (what's causing the stress) to even compute hunger.

Although, it takes a lot to stress me out---so usually it's not an issue.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    Big time. I'm having a hard time with it right now. But I'm trying.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! When i was studying for the bar exam i lost 12lbs that summer just because i stopped eating like a normal person and felt nauseous all the time. It was great for my post-bar trip to the beach though! When i'm experiencing stress like that I just try to stick to bland foods. I figure it's probably not good to just not eat....