Down syndrome boy banned from AA flight

Options

Replies

• jeanzbeanz
    Options
    You do not have a god given right to fly on an airplane. It is a private enterprise and they can choose who flies and who doesn't. Sorry, but that's how it is.

No one is asking for or expecting a 'God given right to fly on an airplane'. How about just a modicum of respect and some compassion?

Is it too much to ask?
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    You do not have a god given right to fly on an airplane. It is a private enterprise and they can choose who flies and who doesn't. Sorry, but that's how it is.

No one is asking for or expecting a 'God given right to fly on an airplane'. How about just a modicum of respect and some compassion?

Is it too much to ask?

If someone was misbehaving on an airplane, someone who DIDN'T have a special condition, I bet you'd have no issue of them getting kicked off. Just something to think about.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

And I'm curious...being that this is a fitness site...would ppl get more upset by someone overweight not being allowed on the flight b/c they didn't purchase a 2nd seat?

Nope. I've sat in a seat with someone else spilling into my seat. I asked the Stewardess to move me. I didn't pay for my seat to be shared with someone else.

Besides, being overweight is, mostly, a choice. Having a mental disability, is not. Apples and oranges.
  • jeanzbeanz
    Options

Is it too much to ask?

If someone was misbehaving on an airplane, someone who DIDN'T have a special condition, I bet you'd have no issue of them getting kicked off. Just something to think about.

That's my point. (two points actually) He wasn't misbehaving and there are plenty who DO misbehave and aren't kicked off.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Is it too much to ask?

You're basically saying that the mentally disabled should be able to control things they can't... I guess I don't even understand your argument? It's why laws and the ADA exists to protect the rights of those that can not control such behaviors.
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Just want to point out that this "news" story was reported by Perez Hilton. That's all.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    stories like this piss me off! I dont think this kid was doing anything dangerous to the flight and putting lives at risk. I have an autistic brother who is sometimes loud and when he gets frustrated he yells and carries on but is no risk to anyones safety. People need to chill out and have some damn compassion.

I would agree, but it's not always easy for the onlooker to have the same level of insight that you have regarding his level of threat or risk. An autistic person doesn't have any particular distinctive appearance that would clue the onlooker to the disability (like Down's Syndrome does).

What looks to you like your harmless autistic brother having a passing tantrum may look to me like a "normal" person screaming and freaking out. That's the kind of thing that makes the flying public very very nervous.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I would like to know what classifies as "agitated". But if he was truly out of control, there's no reason why they should've allowed him on the flight. He posed a flight risk. That's extremely dangerous to put someone like that (agitated -- not with Down's) up in the air. What if he had broken into the pilots cabin? What if he had injured someone around him?

Just because you have a disability, that's not a license for poor behavior in public.

THIS. Without knowing exactly what classified as "agitated" and why the call was made, it's hard to determine if I agree or disagree with the choice or not. If they truly felt he posed a flight risk because he was agitated, then removing him from the flight was the right call. I've first hand witnessed the temper tantrums mentally disabled can throw, and they can very easily become violent and out of control without warning. I worked at a camp where we literally had to lock a fourth grader in the bathroom (not by himself, obviously, with two or three other adults) because he was out of control and that was the only way to contain him until his mother came.

If it was just based on his disability alone, then that is obviously wrong, But if he looked like he could potentially pose a flight risk then yes, it was the right call.
  • ncprasad
    ncprasad Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just because you have a disability, that's not a license for poor behavior in public.

I think disabled people deserve a little more tolerance and I wish people were more educated about people with mental disabilities before they comment.

From Wikipedia, "The average IQ of young adults with Down syndrome is around 50, compared to children without the condition with an IQ of 100"

The video doesn't suggest that there was anything extreme with his behavior and I really don't think the boy with limited cognitive ability was using his disability as a license to make trouble.
  • roachhaley
    Options

Is it too much to ask?

That's my point. (two points actually) He wasn't misbehaving and there are plenty who DO misbehave and aren't kicked off.

Really? Youve REALLY seen someone misbehaving on an airplane that wasn't thrown off? Just the other day I saw someone get kicked off because they were talking rudely to a flight attendant. It isn't discrimination - it's policy.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

I think disabled people deserve a little more tolerance and I wish people were more educated about people with mental disabilities before they comment.

From Wikipedia, "The average IQ of young adults with Down syndrome is around 50, compared to children without the condition with an IQ of 100"

The video doesn't suggest that there was anything extreme with his behavior and I really don't think the boy with limited cognitive ability was using his disability as a license to make trouble.

The video doesn't suggest it, no. He's sitting quietly, chewing on his hat. But we have no idea what happened before the video.
  • roachhaley
    Options

Is it too much to ask?

You're basically saying that the mentally disabled should be able to control things they can't... I guess I don't even understand your argument? It's why laws and the ADA exists to protect the rights of those that can not control such behaviors.

I'm saying it isnt discrimination like everyone seems to think. It is policy to kick people off if they are behaving in a certain way - regardless of their mental state.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I don't see how this is worthy of news coverage. Should be between the family and the airline, and their lawyers if need be.

I dont' really see how the royal wedding was worthy of news coverage
    Or the olympics to be honest
    Kate Middleton's breasts
    Snookie
    Honey boo boo

I stumbled across this news report while looking something else up and it just struck a nerve for me personally.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Just want to point out that this "news" story was reported by Perez Hilton. That's all.

*LMAO* So true :)
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

No, he reposted the news report....It was covered by the REGULAR news outlets
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options

I saw this too, but then did look at other news pages and it seems to be getting some actual press.

As a niece to an Aunt who had down syndrome, I totally can understand the "agitated" aspect of it. My aunt could not fly, as she would get agitated and cause issues in that sort of setting.

However, I have to wonder what their definition was. I have seen plenty of children screaming and carrying on, running around before going on a plane and yet were able to board the plane.

It's sad that this family had to deal with this, but if it was a necessary situation, than it was just that, necessary. However, if it wasn't, it really disgusts me.
  • odusgolp
    Options

Is it too much to ask?

I'm saying it isnt discrimination like everyone seems to think. It is policy to kick people off if they are behaving in a certain way - regardless of their mental state.

I guess I disagree. You don't know if it's discrimination or not. It very well could have been, or a child with Down's Syndrome was highly agitated and a flight risk (unlikely if you understand Down's, but albeit possible). But to state that it was or wasn't discrimination is a bit presumptuous.
  • jeanzbeanz
    Options

Is it too much to ask?

Really? Youve REALLY seen someone misbehaving on an airplane that wasn't thrown off? Just the other day I saw someone get kicked off because they were talking rudely to a flight attendant. It isn't discrimination - it's policy.

Yes, really. One who wouldn't take his correct seat. There's always several who won't turn off cell phones when asked - including one who left his on for the entire flight. One who decided to stand in the aisle next to the cabin crew after being asked several times to take a seat.

It's policy when it's convenient to be policy for the airline.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

I stumbled across this news report while looking something else up and it just struck a nerve for me personally.

LOL!

Off topic, but this last sentence made me laugh.

There's a thread about a person who's daught's boyfriend was looking up meth and several are thinking that the kid is the meth worlds answer to Jackie Brown.