Down syndrome boy banned from AA flight

Options
13»

Replies

• DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I would like to know what classifies as "agitated". But if he was truly out of control, there's no reason why they should've allowed him on the flight. He posed a flight risk. That's extremely dangerous to put someone like that (agitated -- not with Down's) up in the air. What if he had broken into the pilots cabin? What if he had injured someone around him?

Just because you have a disability, that's not a license for poor behavior in public.

I agree. I sympathize greatly for those with disabilities. But when you're in a confined space, especially miles up in the air, the last thing you want to do is have someone act out in a moment of agitation due to something we see as normal (but they dont' due to their illenss) and end up hurting someone. They could hurt another passenger, flight attendents, or cause such a disturbance or harm the pilots and result in even more problems. They had to think about the safety of everyone on that flight, not just the humanity of disability rights. They deserve their rights, but think about it... it as you wouldn't put someone on a plane that's disabled if it would hurt them and their health, you shouldn't if it could hurt someone else either.

**EDIT** I see some posts about the video (I can't see it at work due to blocks) but if he's just sitting there quietly then no, that's not agitation. I know parents tend to not see their child as agitated no matter what (i.e. walmart kids throwing stuff and their parents acting like it's ok). But if he's sitting there and being quiet, then that's not a flight risk unless they some how know that he has a history of spazzing out or a fear of heights or some kind of thing that could trigger a problem incident.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    You do not have a god given right to fly on an airplane. It is a private enterprise and they can choose who flies and who doesn't. Sorry, but that's how it is.

No one is asking for or expecting a 'God given right to fly on an airplane'. How about just a modicum of respect and some compassion?

Is it too much to ask?

If someone was misbehaving on an airplane, someone who DIDN'T have a special condition, I bet you'd have no issue of them getting kicked off. Just something to think about.

You're basically saying that the mentally disabled should be able to control things they can't... I guess I don't even understand your argument? It's why laws and the ADA exists to protect the rights of those that can not control such behaviors.

I'm saying it isnt discrimination like everyone seems to think. It is policy to kick people off if they are behaving in a certain way - regardless of their mental state.

I guess I disagree. You don't know if it's discrimination or not. It very well could have been, or a child with Down's Syndrome was highly agitated and a flight risk (unlikely if you understand Down's, but albeit possible). But to state that it was or wasn't discrimination is a bit presumptuous.

Oh god. Of course its POSSIBLE that flight attendant and the rest of the flight crew just really hated disabled people - but, honestly, do you think that's the case?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You do not have a god given right to fly on an airplane. It is a private enterprise and they can choose who flies and who doesn't. Sorry, but that's how it is.

No one is asking for or expecting a 'God given right to fly on an airplane'. How about just a modicum of respect and some compassion?

Is it too much to ask?

If someone was misbehaving on an airplane, someone who DIDN'T have a special condition, I bet you'd have no issue of them getting kicked off. Just something to think about.

You're basically saying that the mentally disabled should be able to control things they can't... I guess I don't even understand your argument? It's why laws and the ADA exists to protect the rights of those that can not control such behaviors.

I'm saying it isnt discrimination like everyone seems to think. It is policy to kick people off if they are behaving in a certain way - regardless of their mental state.

I guess I disagree. You don't know if it's discrimination or not. It very well could have been, or a child with Down's Syndrome was highly agitated and a flight risk (unlikely if you understand Down's, but albeit possible). But to state that it was or wasn't discrimination is a bit presumptuous.

Oh god. Of course its POSSIBLE that flight attendant and the rest of the flight crew just really hated disabled people - but, honestly, do you think that's the case?

*LOL* I'm not saying it's definitely discrimination... I'm saying it's definitely possible :)
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    If he was truly agitated, like unpredictable and out of control in his movements, I'd see their point. As far as I can see from the video, he seemed pretty calm (although the video doesn't cover the situation for the beginning, it would seem), and he never got on the plane. Whenever I fly, I see people sitting in the waiting area with their bored kids running around and making noise. THOSE kids don't get stopped from boarding the plane. I see soccer teams worth of teens/college aged kids acting up and getting a bit rowdy and loud in the waiting area, but they generally shut up when they're on the plane.

I do see the point, though, that regardless of whether or not it's due to disability, highly disruptive behaviour should result in a refusal for boarding, until the person can be calmed down. Other people pay for a certain amount of comfort and safety on a flight, and shouldn't have to put up with such extreme disruptions, just because they result from a disability. Accommodation of a disability does NOT extend to imposing extreme discomfort on other paying passengers. I once was on a flight where a family of three was in the row behind me. The teenage boy was clearly very autistic, and I spent the better part of 4 and 1/2 hours with him repeatedly swinging his legs and kicking the back of my seat, and jostling the back of my seat in other ways, as well. His parents did absolutely zilch to control his behaviour. I should've said something, even to a flight attendant. For something like this, I think it would've been reasonable for the parents to call the airline in advance and ask for seating in the first row, which is often used for the disabled (more leg room), explaining that the seat kicking would likely be an issue, and that they couldn't guarantee that their son would not engage in this behaviour. Any reasonable airline would understand that it would be of benefit to avoid giving another paying customer a miserable experience like what I had, and would also recognize that it's just good customer service and public relations to make this accommodation for a disability.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    The truth of the matter is that they haven't publically released any footage inside the airport of the incident which PROMPTED the pilot to classify the boy as a flight risk. All we have seen is the boy sitting down AFTER it was determined the family would not be allowed to board. Yes, in the video he was sitting quietly. But what if he had just been running up and down the terminal, bumped into several people, parents yelling behind him to stop and he didn't heed their request? What if he was mumbling about an airplane blowing up? We simply DO NOT KNOW if the correct call was made in this situation or not because we do not have the whole story.
  • roachhaley
    Options

Is it too much to ask?

*LOL* I'm not saying it's definitely discrimination... I'm saying it's definitely possible :)

All I know is that generally, flight crews are very well trained. Do you think they just skipped the section on dealing with disabled people during training? Probably not. BTW - two of my cousins are autistic and I've seen them get very violent. So I know that special needs kids can get dangerous - not their fault, but doesn't change the fact that they could hurt someone or themselves.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    ***stopping the insane quotes****

I agree with that point, actually.

And really think we should be talking about Kate Middleton's boobs.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I'll respond to this the same way I respond to 99% of the news:

"That sucks, but seriously, whoopdie f*cking doo."
  • jeanzbeanz
    Options
    Anyone could go nuts on a flight.

One of the few funny quotes of this story is when a reporter asked the dad if he could control his son, the dad responded that he couldn't guarantee 100% that he could control his wife.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/22/jim-stanek-united-airlines-service-dog-sarge_n_1692951.html

This story is along the same lines, but it happened on United Airlines.

They're supposed to be trained but the few times I've flown, I found the attendants less than friendly or considerate.
    I'm surprised by these standards that I wasn't kicked off a flight b/c I went into an anxiety attack.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I would like to know what classifies as "agitated". But if he was truly out of control, there's no reason why they should've allowed him on the flight. He posed a flight risk. That's extremely dangerous to put someone like that (agitated -- not with Down's) up in the air. What if he had broken into the pilots cabin? What if he had injured someone around him?

Just because you have a disability, that's not a license for poor behavior in public.

What poor behavior? The video clearly showed hims quietly sitting in a chair, playing with his hat. He wasn't doing anything inappropriate, and certainly posed no flight risk. This is clearly a case of discrimination, and poor education (on the airline's part) on individuals with disabilities.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

What poor behavior? The video clearly showed hims quietly sitting in a chair, playing with his hat. He wasn't doing anything inappropriate, and certainly posed no flight risk. This is clearly a case of discrimination, and poor education (on the airline's part) on individuals with disabilities.

**headdesk headdesk**

We have NO idea what happened before the video started rolling. No clue. it's not clearly a case of discrimination. But AA better prepare to pony up the money for the lawsuit that's coming their way.
  • roachhaley
    Options

The video shown is not of his behaviour in the moment. None of us know how he was behaving at the time it was decided he couldn't fly.
  • Michelle_Nicole
    Michelle_Nicole Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    stories like this piss me off! I dont think this kid was doing anything dangerous to the flight and putting lives at risk. I have an autistic brother who is sometimes loud and when he gets frustrated he yells and carries on but is no risk to anyones safety. People need to chill out and have some damn compassion.

I would agree, but it's not always easy for the onlooker to have the same level of insight that you have regarding his level of threat or risk. An autistic person doesn't have any particular distinctive appearance that would clue the onlooker to the disability (like Down's Syndrome does).

What looks to you like your harmless autistic brother having a passing tantrum may look to me like a "normal" person screaming and freaking out. That's the kind of thing that makes the flying public very very nervous.

I agree that having a brother with autism and being around others with disabilities I have more insight and patience than others. I guess what bothers me is with so many people out there being diagnosed with Autism of DS or any other disability we as a society still can not open our minds and try and be more respectful towards them. Too many people dont understand these disabilities and dont care to learn anything, they just judge and discriminate. I actually had a woman (grown woman around 40) tell her son not to sit near my brother and one of his class mates at a picnic because...wait for it........he may catch what they have and be a retard.
  • GRAYSONMOMMY1211
    Options
    I am a mother to a 4 y/o son who has autism. At first sight, when most ppl look at him, they "ASSUME" that he is a "normal" child. I haven't had the chance to fly with him yet, bc i'm not sure if this would be a good mode of transportation for us. BUT we have done car trips etc. Sometimes, while out in public, he has outburst, melt downs, etc. And the stares that are given from strangers are hurtful and even cruel at times. At the end of the day, everyone voices an opinion about situations but until you have walked in the shoes of the person with the disability or their parent/caregiver/teacher etc you wouldnt understand this world. NO, i don't look for sympathy about having a child with autism bc despite his labeling he is my blessing and a true gift!!! Like it's been stated in many responses, that some ppl have been asked to leave and others have not until everyone understands what disabilities are and how to deal with them, i'm sure there will be more stories like this reported. It's sad BUT very true!!
  • DoomCakes
    Options

Just going to state the obvious here since I got to read this one as well.

1) I still can't click the video. But the parents are sooo smiley and look to be LOVING the press attention from the first glimpse thing I get.
    2) They state in the report that the boy was running around and screaming in the GATE AREA (not in the parking lot where I'm seeing people say the after footage was taken). That they ASKED the family if they could calm their son down and they could not.

That there is why they said he couldn't fly. Not because he was a down syndrome kid in first class (which if he was agitated him being in first class puts it in MORE trouble being closer to the cockpit where he could cause a scene, slip by attendents, and run in). They did it based off safety, not discrimination. Just based off the report.
  • Babygirl928
    Babygirl928 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    as a person who works for differently abled people such as this young man, i am DISGUSTED bu AA. This is a shame and a disgrace :grumble: UNBELIEVABLE!!!!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Just going to state the obvious here since I got to read this one as well.

1) I still can't click the video. But the parents are sooo smiley and look to be LOVING the press attention from the first glimpse thing I get.
    2) They state in the report that the boy was running around and screaming in the GATE AREA (not in the parking lot where I'm seeing people say the after footage was taken). That they ASKED the family if they could calm their son down and they could not.

That there is why they said he couldn't fly. Not because he was a down syndrome kid in first class (which if he was agitated him being in first class puts it in MORE trouble being closer to the cockpit where he could cause a scene, slip by attendents, and run in). They did it based off safety, not discrimination. Just based off the report.

I have to agree with you on this.

We're just seeing a snippet of video from the mother and while it does show the child sitting on the chair playing with his hat we don't know what happened before the video was taken. We don't even know how the parents were reacting, if they were reacting at all and trying to calm the child down. We're just getting their side of the story. No one interviewed any of the people who were waiting there for the plane with them to find out what went on as well. Right now it's a 'he said she said' finger pointing fest.
  • DoomCakes
    Options
    I also just want to add: I think ANY person (disabled or abled) should not be allowed to fly if they can't control their temper and prove to be unstable or pose a risk to flying. That's part of the conditions. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't want to be in a thousand mile high small death trap with a potential explosive violent person. This means any kid that just wants to act out and throw a fit, or adult for that matter.