Face Burns after Working Out?

Options
Hi, all! I have a question for youse guys.

After a good workout, I know it's normal for your face to flush and turn red. But my face burns really bad and feels sore and raw. I figure it has to do with the sweat because it feels like rubbing salt into an open wound.

Anyone know what causes this or how I can prevent it?

Replies

• courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I experienced this too when I rubbed the sweat off my face with a towel. I was perplexed at first, but I think I found the culprit....dry skin! I looked at the area later and it was all flaky, and it is winter, plus I have really dry skin anyway. I just put some moisturizer on it and it felt better. Get some that's hypoallergenic or all natural so it won't irritate the skin!
  • chicynth
    chicynth Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Do you or did you consume alot of salt in your diet? What type of cleanser or soap do you use? Lastly, are you using any type of topical cream?

When I cut out salt...my skin stopped burning. But I began using a prescribed med for my face and that really burned. Would have to wait several hours after exercise before using. Now, I'm okay. Maybe someone else has input. Bottom line, I've experienced that burning feeling.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I've had that too. What worked for me: using a gentler soap, a daily moisturizer, and wiping my face off with water rather than a towel.
  • rajekred
    Options
    It can be if you are dehydrated. Your body isn't able to cool itself quickly enough because you haven't had enough liquids, or you had enough liquid but too much sodium.
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Are you using any face medications? When I was using proactive and differen gel my face burned like heck after working out and I was only able to dab it with the towel because it hurt so bad...When I'm not on the medication, I'm entirely fine...
  • Emilydmo
    Emilydmo Posts: 101
    Options
    Moisturizing stopped this from happening to me! It used to burn sooo bad!! I have really sensitive skin, so cutting down on harsh face washes and using a GOOD moisturizer made all the difference for me!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    you can put hydrocortosine on it too. Its great for rosacea etc etc. Wash your face and apply. Are you consuming alot of gatorade or energy drinks etc? I have that happen alot after long runs. Mixture of sweat and salt and worse for me in cold then warm
  • Kizster
    Options
    Thanks you guys!

I'm not dehydrated, I drink over my 8 glasses a day. Also, I don't consume a lot of salt.

I DO have extremely dry skin, however, and I hate lotions, so I bet that's the culprit! I'll find some gentle lotion and see if that helps. Thanks you guys! <3