Fitness apps that give back....

Options
Most people with a smartphone that run or walk or bike or do any type of exercise with "distance" that can be measured typically uses an app to track their distance/pace/speed/splits/whatever....anyway, i use runkeeper and have for over 4 years...anyway, i saw on FB a friend kept posting activities thru an app called charity miles so i went to check it out....it is an app that you start when you start your runkeeper or timex or whatever and it tracks your time, distance and IMPACT towards whatever particular charity you have chosen to receive a donation from thru that activity...there is aspca, achilles international, autism speaks, feeding america, the global fund, habitat for humanity, the michael j. fox foundation for parkinson's research, the nature conservancy, pencils of promise & world food programme...anyway, after you complete your activity, you hit finish, then accept sponsorship and the miles/time converts into an IMPACT.....this morning i was only able to get in 2.33 miles but that run was able to provide 5.825 meals to hungry people as i chose feeding america this am to receive my donation...i switch around between autism, meals, parkinson and habitat for humanity typically....below is an email i received from charity miles today about another user and it really touched me and i decided to share and hopefully get others to participate in the program....you're doing the movement anyway, why NOT help others while you are helping yourself???? just a thought....

ps - they offer a droid and an iphone app currently...

<<<<<Dear Team Charity Miles,

Meet Alex Flynn. Alex is 40 years old and living with Parkinson's. And yesterday he ran the Badwater ultramarathon course-- 135 miles in Death Valley. It's only the most difficult ultramarathon in the world. It's so hot that if you don't run on the white lines in the road, your shoes will melt...

Oh, and he did this after cycling from Santa Monica to Mt. Whitney and climbing all 14,500 feet of Mt. Whitney...

Oh, and this is just how he starts his 3,000 mile race across the United States... which he is doing as part of a much larger journey to race 10,000,000 Metres (6,000 miles) through some of the most difficult terrain around the world. Indeed, he already raced 1,457 miles across Europe last year!

Alex Flynn, you may be the toughest man ever! With you on the trail, Parkinson's doesn't stand a chance.

We'll be following Alex as he continues this incredible adventure to help cure Parkinson's. I can also see an Alex-themed challenge in your future ;)

In the meantime, please stay the course of helping to feed 100,000 people... But just run a few extra Charity Miles for The Michael J. Fox Foundation. Alex would. #AlexFlynn

All the best,
Gene

#EveryMileMatters>>>>

Replies

• steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea. I will have to check it out when I get finished work. Thanks.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i'm going to keep bumping this because i think it is important....
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    What a fabulous idea...will investigate when I get home!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I am generally a sceptic but do we know for sure that these people really get the money?
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Where does the money come from?
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Apparently it comes from advertisers.
  • bluiz13
    Options
    i must just be an ostrich with my head in the sand when it comes to this kind of stuff because i usually just follow when someone suggests doing good for others....i went to their site and did some "research"...this is what i found and I AM going to choose to believe that it is for real and that the money is going where it is supposed to go because i believe in the good in people.....i'm running anyway so it's not hurting anything....

Here are some answers from their FAQs page...PS dont be so Cynical...be willing to help someone else out...

How does it work?
    Just launch the app, choose a charity and either walk, run or bike. The selected charity then earns money for every mile covered. Walkers and runners earn 25¢ per mile; bikers earn 10¢ per mile, all up to an initial $1,000,000.

Where does the money come from?
    Charity Miles, LLC is backing the initial $1,000,000 and issuing a worldwide challenge to see if people can earn it for the charities within a year.

When does the challenge start and end?
    Charity Miles’ challenge launches on June 1, 2012 and ends on May 31, 2013.

What happens if people earn the $1,000,000 before the challenge expires?
    That would be fantastic! In order for that to happen, people will have to collectively run, walk and bike at least 4,000,000 miles. By the time that happens, we are confident that we will have secured additional sponsors to increase the sponsorship pool. To the extent that people collectively earn more money than is available in the sponsorship pool, then, when the challenge expires, the sponsorship pool will be distributed to the charities pro ratain proportion to the number of miles achieved for each of them. (And, in that case, walking and running miles will be weighted 2.5 times biking miles.)

What happens after the challenge expires?
    We plan to have another challenge with more charities and an even bigger sponsorship pool.

How is Charity Miles going to increase the sponsorship pool?
    We are aiming to increase the $1,000,000 sponsorship pool by attracting corporate sponsors. We are well into discussions with several world class brands that see Charity Miles as a powerful way to both: (i) have a positive impact on the world; and (ii) have a meaningful marketing impact while doing so.

Who can I contact if I want to sponsor Charity Miles?
    Please send an email to: sponsors[at]charitymiles.org. (The [at] should be an “@” symbol.)

Is Charity Miles a non-profit company?
    Charity Miles is a for-profit, for-purpose company.

How does Charity Miles make money?
    We are not sure yet.

Where can I learn more about Charity Miles?
    More information and explanatory videos are available on our website and blog. You can also “like” us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Where can I download Charity Miles?
    Charity Miles will be available to download for free in the iPhone and Android app stores on June 1st.
  • peuglow
    Options
    Good for you that you believe it. I don't buy it. Esp when they tell you they are a for profit company donating money to non profits without telling you where the money comes from. Ads maybe? IDK
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it to be honest. I'm also skeptical when it comes to donating. I donated money to the Red Cross after Hurricane Katrina and was pissed when I found out the money never got to the people who needed it. I've also donated to the ASPCA and was inundated with crap from them: a blanket, address labels, paper etc. and it made me wonder where my money actually went. Needless to say I have not donated to either charity.

I will, however, donate to the fire fighters and local police charities as well as the Salvation Army.
  • bluiz13
    Options
    i am not donating ANYTHING......all i am doing is running and clicking an app and they are donating to the charities i have chosen....i'm not giving any money, i'm just running and if they pay who i say, the charities are getting donations because i moved my @ss....seriously, what is the freakin harm in this.....if you aren't interested in doing it then just move one.....there is no scam towards you...i run, they donate.........if they dont, at least i know i feel good that i attempted to help the causes that mean something to me.....seriously, it's not a big deal....i donate my actual money to charities i'm familiar with but my running time/miles they can do for me.....geeezzzzzzz...
  • peuglow
    Options
    Easy killer. Welcome to the internet, the world of skeptics and trolls.

I don't think anyone is firing at you for doing the app. Just voicing our opinions. No need to get all butt hurt about it.
  • HeidiSnow
    HeidiSnow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would verify that they aren't using it to get access to all your info in your phone. Also, does the app turn off when done? I had an app for a while that would give me points for stores, but it was always on, tracking where I was at, even listening so I got rid of it. I can't remember the name of the app to give you more details, but I did find the following article when I was trying to look for it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1340107/How-smartphone-keeping-track-Apps-secretly-monitor-users-target-advertising-campaigns.html
  • jaz050465
    Options
    We're not getting at you, just ensuring that these sites aren't misleading people. It's like these emails people send round. I always check them out and most if the time they're rubbish. Don't know for sure if this is genuine or not but experience shows you can't bieve all you read.