JUST FOR THE GIRLS: has anyone had ablation done

Options
I am going in next week and wanted to know if you think it works. It is being done on Thurs and the nurse said I could work on Friday but some have had cramping after. Any help would be great

Replies

• ireneag
    Options
    I had an ablation 4 years ago. It was an outpatient procedure (I went home same day). There was some cramping the day of and day after but not horrible. I guess pain is relative because I had periods that kept me in bed for 3 days with cramps prior to the ablation.

What are you having ablation done for?
  • Susanohoro
    Options
    if you are having procedure done for bleeding from uterine fibroids there is another procedure called uterine artery embolization which is very effective in treating bleeding
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I had an ablation done about 4 years ago to prevent heavy bleeding. I would take the next day off work as they do put you under. It worked for me for about 6 months and then I had all my problems again.
  • TiaJas
    TiaJas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had an ablation 2 years ago. The post op, as far as cramping goes was minimum. The hardest part of the recovery for my was the effects of the anesthesia - I had them put me under and it took me three days for the effects to wear off. I almost feel down a flight of stairs the day after...tried to go to work on day 2 and ended up going home. Took day three off and was more clear headed after that. Two years after the procedure, the bleeding is much less and only lasts for 2 days. The cramping however can still be tough for me. Good luck!
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I had one done a few years ago and it was the best decision I ever made! Post op cramping etc was pretty minimal - mostly just a great opportunity to cuddle up, snooze and catch up on a few good movies. Just take the time to pamper yourself for a day or so. Drink lots of water and sleep just to 'detox' a little from the anesthetic. I had a spinal, so that wasn't an issue for me.

I went from "flooding'' so badly, I almost went on transfusions for anemia to just a little spotting. What a gift!!! I don't know why they don't offer this more commonly once you are past child bearing - too many of us suffer unnecessarily!

BTW since this is just a 'mechanical' procedure, it doesn't affect hormones or anything, so it had absolutly no effects on pms, weight, etc - for good or bad - just so you can manage any expectations you might have on that front.
  • esther63
    esther63 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had ablation done 5 years ago. I remember I did take the next day off - but I was fine.
    It really has solved all my heavy bleeding problems. I did get periods for a while - but for the last few years I've only had a couple of periods a year! Seems like I'm still PMSy though. I really think it was the best thing I could have ever done. My sister had an emergency hysterectomy (for the same kind of problem) and certainly this procedure is minor compared to that! Good luck!
  • toribug
    toribug Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help. I am having it done for heavy bleeding. I heard it does nothing for cramping(too bad) but I was hoping that I won't have to wake up in the middle of the night with "that yucky feeling" and having to change. Or being at work and having to get to the restroom quickly. I think the hardest part was knowing I wouldn't be having any more babies. It's weird because I know that in my mind but even at my age many women still have them. The doctor was like are you sure your only 38. But, my oldest will be 20, then I have a 17yr old and a 11 yr old, so I have lost weight, and have a new life without wee ones to watch, and now my husband and I can enjoy each other. He was fixed a long time ago.
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I think that it's normal to feel a little loss at not being able to have babies anymore. I was in the same boat as you were 3 kids in late teens/early 20's and even though I knew I wasn't having any more it really did feel like the end of an era. Trust me once you spend a month or two where your period is now a non issue, the 'lost' feeling will pass :bigsmile:

I ended up having a total hysterectomy a couple of years later, 'cause for me it was bad fibroids that took cramping to new levels, but by then I was over the no babies part, so it was no longer an emotional decision. Like the say in the lottery commercials "Imagine the freedom!":drinker:
  • ireneag
    Options
    I had mine for heavy bleeding also as well as bad cramps. I was only 26 when I had it done (couldn't do the whole 3 days of missed work/school anymore). I have not had a period or spotting since having it done (crossing my fingers it stays that way). I was told by my doctor that potentially I would have to have it done again around 36 because the lining may regenerate with time. I think the most important thing is for the doctor to make sure they got all of the lining otherwise you will still bleed some. I don't have any cramping but occassionaly I feel a slight pinching feeling in my abdomen which I believe is my ovaries when I'm ovulating.

Good luck with your procedure!!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I had similar symptoms to yours, toribug. My doctor mentioned this procedure as a possibility, but told me that I could still end up needing a hysterectomy with in a few years, if it didn't solve all my problems. When I discovered the cost of the ablation was about the same as a hysterectomy, I said let's do it right the first time. I had my ovaries removed at the same time, as the research I did seemed to indicate that keeping them is just an invitation for trouble--specifically ovarian cancer.

I learned something very important about HRT. Research is out there that shows those who start HRT as soon as they have their ovaries removed don't have the issues that women who delay starting HRT until they have menopausal symptoms can have.

In my case, it has been a year since the surgery. I am taking a minimal dosage of estrogen. Once I got past the surgical recovery, which wasn't too bad, since it was done laparoscopically, I have never felt better--no more monthly ups and downs, and I have been able to consistently follow a program of healthy eating and exercise without being at the mercy of my monthly cycle.

I don't want to start a riot here, but if you have the time, since you already indicated your child-bearing years are behind you, II would ask your doctor why not solve the problem permanently and consider a full procedure. It will definitely save you money, and future grief if you end up not getting the results you seek with the ablation.
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    All I can say is, "discuss your questions with your doctor, and consider getting a second opinion" before you make any decisions. Especially when it comes to surgery. Not all of the comments above about medical procedures are applicable to everyone else.
    Be well, and good luck.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I learned something very important about HRT. Research is out there that shows those who start HRT as soon as they have their ovaries removed don't have the issues that women who delay starting HRT until they have menopausal symptoms can have.

I had a full hysterectomy 2 years ago and the menopausal symptoms happened immediately. I cannot take HRT because I have a very high risk of breast cancer.