HELP, just starting MFP, previously a on WW

Options
Hello everyone, I was on WW for sometime and lost 20 Ibs but somehow 10 of it found me!!! The plan started to be too costly and a friend invited me to MFP. Today is my official start day, hope it all goes well. Cant figure out how to add my liquids, duh!!! Well lets get this party started. Ive already logged in breakfast, lunch and of course snackes. I have a sweet tooth and often allow stress to lead this horse to the well. Oh well, I know I do better in a supportive environment. Any tips for this site?

Replies

• nicdilor
    Options
    Hi and welcome! If you want to add liquids to your food diary, look at the bottom of the page when you are adding your food and you will see a glass, click on it to add the quantity of glasses consumed, please let me know If this helped :) and look around the site there are lots of great tools, good luck on your journey :)
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    If you're on your phone, just click on water... it is a category just like Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner.

You can customize your meal/snack categories btw... like I have mine set up for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Morning Snacks, Afternoon Snacks and Evening Snacks.

If you want support, either post out here in the message boards or start to make MFP friends on here. Just ask and most of us (except those who have so many friends they can't keep up with them), will add you and then you can urge each other on. It's great here. I've already lost 57 pounds... and counting... and it doesn't cost me a thing. Love it!
  • kaseymei
    Options
    hi there.... i have done WW twice.... Just like you I put the weight back on. I have found this site to be way more easier to use than WW online and have had great supporters on here. I'll add you as a friend. The biggest tip I have for you is log everything. It really is about holding yourself accountable. :) best of luck
  • elopeznj
    elopeznj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been doing WW for about 2 months and I've lost 14 pounds. I just came across MFP and for some reason counting calories seems to make more sense to me than counting points. Either way, I'm going to see how MFP works with me and hopefully this will turn into more of a lifestyle change than a "quick fix." Doberdawn... your testimony is definitely encouraging. Thanks for sharing.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    WELCOME! YOU CAN DO IT!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    welcome to the group. I do WW and MFP. I like that I can see what the calories are compared to the points system with WW. That being said I only drink water and coffee so only have to chart that. Water is easy to add its on the very bottom of your food page where you add your meals, snacks etc. Scroll all the way down and look for the glass that you arrow up to add water to your glass or arrow down to reduce.
  • asiabacus1
    Options
    If the liquid is a water, as others have said you just click the "up" arrow on the water glass at the bottom of your diary. If it's a soda or juice you just enter it like a food...and if you can't find something, you can always add things to the database. Goodluck to you (:
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I would google BMR and TDEE and find out those numbers and set your calories according to that. MFP will most likely put you at 1200, which isn't alot for some people. To lose, you need to eat under the TDEE amount, but above the BMR amount to fuel your body.
    Take measurements too. Some people lose inches before pounds. Good luck!
  • jmk1967
    jmk1967 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just joined MFP this week and I have also done WW in the past. I am finding MFP to be way easier in keeping track of my food. I have always done better keeping track of calories vs. points. It is hard to figure out calories for the foods that are better for you, you know, the ones that don't come out of a can or package. I was weighing and measuring, then having to Google how many calories that food item had. MFP tools make it soooo much more easier! It's hard to believe that it is also free! Good luck on your weight loss journey. Just take the time to sit down and look around the MFP web site, to learn your way around.
  • TennisQtpye
    TennisQtpye Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This site is great. It's cheap! And effective! Add me if u like!
  • cmellowdee
    Options
    I also was on WW (just cancelled my WW membership a little over a week ago) and now exclusivly on MFP. MUCH CHEAPER! LOL.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Welcome :) I was on WW previously, I loved it but it did get too expensive...
  • tap_0072
    tap_0072 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have done WW in the past, but so far, I like MFP SO much better! I find it helpful to see what other people log in for the day too because it gives me ideas. It's also nice because all you need to know is the calories of something before you know if you can eat it or not. (I do look at other things, such as sugars and sodium to see if I'm on track though). You can add me if you want. GL!
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I was on WW too until a friend of mine told me about MFP. I have been maintaining on MFP for a little over a year and I love it! It is much less confusing than the points system in my opinion. Although I have been in maintenance mode for the past 14 months I am still very active and log my food and exercise every day. Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I've done WW in the past, too, but found it very difficult and expensive; it's much easier tracking calories. Also, I could never seem to make any friends at the meetings and I've found through MFP that friends do make a difference.

Welcome!
  • danabromley
    danabromley Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Wecome!!!! You can sdd me if you like. We can support each other.
  • mama78loosinWeight
    Options
    Hi there! Welcome to MFP! Feel free to add me, I'm all about support! And I log most every day. I have loved all the support and advice I have gotten since I have been here. I hope you find the experience just as helpful! :happy: