HRM strap advice PLEASE!

Options
Is is just me, or does anyone else HATE to wear a chest strap?

I've tried my husband's older Polder but I CANNOT use it because the strap makes me insane. But maybe straps are better now? -- Anyone updated their HRM and found the strap is more comfortable? -- On this Polder the sensor part is housed in hard plastic and my bony sternum is not amused.

It should be said that I'm ultra sensitive to itchy, scratchy stuff and have to cut the tags out of my clothes before I can wear them. And the very first thing I do when I get home is take my bra off. So maybe I'm just S.O.L.?

Any bits of enlightenment would be hugely appreciated! :happy:

Replies

• lepow
    lepow Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I can't really relate. I just bought a Polar FT4 a few months ago, and the strap doesn't bother me. I just line the strap up with the bottom of my sports bra, and I don't notice it. Hope that helps!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I was aware of the strap on my New Balance N4 at first, but it didn't bother me, and now I don't notice it at all. From what I've read of various HRM descriptions, I think the Polars might have softer straps than the N4 does - the front is plastic/rubber where the sensors are, but like I said, it doesn't bother me. Like the previous poster said, I just tuck it right under the wide elastic band of my sports bra & don't even notice it.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I wear a Polar chest strap and have forgotten it's on and gone into the shower still wearing it. (thankfully they're waterproof and should be washed after each use anyway)

Also, you say your "bony sternum", are you wearing it above your breasts? My sternum is much bonier in the area above my breasts but when wearing the chest strap in the correct position, directly below the breasts/right under the band of the sports bra there's a touch more padding there and it doesn't really feel any differently than a well-fitting underwire bra to me.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I've always had Polar HRMs. Never had a problem with the chest strap, but in recent years they've come out with one that is closer to cloth than plastic and is more comfortable. They've also made shorter ones for women. I once had sports bra with slots for the transmitter strap, making the full strap unnecessary, but it didn't work very well.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I always forget I have it on!
  • marsviolet
    marsviolet Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I hate my heart rate monitor, I wore it twice and doubt I ever will again. The strap could not be any more annoying. Biggest waste of money EVER. :explode:
  • rocketass99
    rocketass99 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I believe I saw on the polar site the other day, they make a sports bra with the hrm strap built in. I love my hrm. Tells me how hard I'm really working or not working as the case maybe
  • mrsmark2010
    Options
    I have a polar, less than 6mo old. The straps are elastic with a plastic like area that detects the HR and the transmitter is hard plastic. Other than seeing the hard part below my breast, I don't know I'm wearing it.

I always leave it on until I shower. I was the strap in the shower daily to keep it clean.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    When I first started using mine, I was very aware of it. Nowadays, I barely know it's there at all. Especially once I get into the rhythm of what I'm doing.

Same goes for tight clothing... I used to hate wearing well-fitting clothing to run or work out, but now I feel much better in it than ill-fitting clothes. It still feels a little strange when I first put it on, but after a few minutes and a little sweat, it's like I'm wearing nothing at all.