Losing weight-Yay, losing social life-Ugh

Options
2»

Replies

• maerieanne
    maerieanne Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    two words. Vodka. water. (with lots of lemon)

same advice, you can try tequila with clight/crystal light or scotch with diet coke, thats what i'm doing today ;)
  • kebass8
    Options
    Dry wines and spirits with diet mixers, a gin and diet tonic is about 50kcals. Be the designated driver once in awhile, you can go out and not drink, and maybe others will do it too. Also, get loaded once in awhile, a sensible diet shouldn't be about deprivation

I plan on getting loaded tomorrow night :) so trying to be good tonight, running out of ideas to stay good though haha.
  • mmachick2011
    mmachick2011 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The drinking bothers other people more than it does me... I know what I want to have or not have and I can stick to my guns. BUT my husband and all of our friends LOVE to drink.... I learned that if my drink "looks" alcoholic, they get off my case and don't say anything. I drink lots of diet cokes with a wedge of lime in a small glass- yes I don't get as much for the $$ but it looks like a rum & diet and no one says anything at parties. Thankfully being the DD doesn't really bug me one way or another so i happily drive myself and my husband home.
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I just go out anyway and not drink, my friends always got drunk way before me anyway (to the point i'm too concerned whith looking after them to keep drinking, so I never got drunk), so no one has really noticed the change. Just get one drink, even a small glass of wine or something (though some bars will give you the equivalent of 2 glasses (250ml) even when you ask for a small) and nurse it for ages.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    two words. Vodka. water. (with lots of lemon)

^^^ This
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Join a hiking meetup group. Smoke pot and then go to the bar and drink seltzer.

Or this ^^^

:laugh:

But drunks tend to harsh your mellow. :frown:
    :smokin:
  • jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Plan on going out only 3-4 times a month. Work out a little extra before you go. Also drink on an empty stomach and then eat a low fat snack such as a low fat granola bar to soak it up. I sneak mine in my purse. Drinking on an empty stomach and then eating a little will actually make you feel tipsy longer. Drink vodka shots or drink gin with diet soda. Drink lots of water. Work out a little extra the next day. Ta-da! If you are healthy at other times 3-4 times of spluging a month isn't going to hurt you. You have to be happy with a healthier life. It has to be something you can do and don't feel deprived. Good luck!
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I admit I struggle with this as well. For me it's dating and I basically gave it up until I reach my goals. Before eveyone starts flaming me yes, you can go on "healthy" dates but honestly it's hard to talk and get to know somone while your biking or hiking. The best way to get to know someone is to sit down and talk with them and the best way to get people to talk is a nice dinner and glass of wine. Heck, even now lately I have just been haning out with some buddies at the bar on the weekend and it seems like a few beers and bar food easily wipes out the weeks progress. (Yes, I know thats not true but it does seem that way sometimes)

Yes, you can adjust your drinks to be low-cal but I think you need to find a balance if you go out to the bar's Friday night then see if you can go hiking together "saturday" morning. Knowing that you have to get up and hike in the moring will help you curb the Friday night drinking.

Just my two cents!!!
  • AmbieSweetz
    AmbieSweetz Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Join a hiking meetup group. Smoke pot and then go to the bar and drink seltzer.

AGREED!
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    to be honest, if you go out getting drunk every weekend, you'll probably always be overweight. at some point, you have to make your lifestyle choice.

part of the problem is that the average person's idea of a social life means going out and drinking 1000+ calories of alcohol and then some fatty foods on the way home. you need to find something else to do on the weekend, that doesn't involve drinking so much.

1. try being sober on a night out
    2. stick to 5 drinks max
    3. maybe just take 1 night off every 3 or so weeks for a proper drinking session, but don't go for the greasy food afterwards
    4. do exercise during the week without eating back the calories, to allow for drinks on the weekend

i tend to drink from 330ml bottles when i go out, as i find 5 drinks tend to last me all night.
  • runningfromzombies
    Options
    I just go out anyway. One day a week with a few drinks (the key being A FEW--learn to enjoy being buzzed, not drunk, which took a while for me, admittedly) will not ruin your progress and you'll still get to hang out with your peeps.

Plus, you're in a better position to care for yourself AND them when you're closer to the sober side. :laugh:
  • runningfromzombies
    Options
    I admit I struggle with this as well. For me it's dating and I basically gave it up until I reach my goals. Before eveyone starts flaming me yes, you can go on "healthy" dates but honestly it's hard to talk and get to know somone while your biking or hiking. The best way to get to know someone is to sit down and talk with them and the best way to get people to talk is a nice dinner and glass of wine. Heck, even now lately I have just been haning out with some buddies at the bar on the weekend and it seems like a few beers and bar food easily wipes out the weeks progress. (Yes, I know thats not true but it does seem that way sometimes)

Yes, you can adjust your drinks to be low-cal but I think you need to find a balance if you go out to the bar's Friday night then see if you can go hiking together "saturday" morning. Knowing that you have to get up and hike in the moring will help you curb the Friday night drinking.

Just my two cents!!!

My boyfriend doesn't drink, and somehow we still had a great first-date conversation that lasted four hours--over a nice dinner that didn't put me over my calorie allotment, no less. :drinker:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Honestly I would still go out, get a diet coke and watch the drunks. You cant distance yourself from everyone because that's unfair to your bf and to yourself. So why dont you two come up with a game plan like, go out to the bars twice a month, and twice a month you can go to the movies or stay home?

I'm with this. And for that matter, I still incorporated the occasional drink in my lifestyle.... and since I've lost weight, ONE drink goes a lot further than it used to!

Most liquors are about 70 calories per ounce. So a 1.5 oz shot in a zero calorie diet beverage is about 100 calories. I recommend whipped cream vodka in diet cola. Yum.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Unless you want the weight loss to be temporary, you need to find a way to make it fit into a long term life-style.

That could include the suggestions you've already thought of and a few more...

* drink, but less and don't eat out (eat before)
    * have people over for dinner, a picnic, grilling in the backyard or a tailgate party
    * host a games night at your home (serve beer or wine if you feel like you must, but your friends might like a break from drinking too)
    * stay in for a romantic night
    * dance when you go out
    * go to a concert or ball game instead of a bar

Mix and match. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing choice.

P.S. When you drink alcohol always have at least one non-alcoholic drink (8 oz of sparkling water?) for every alcohol equivalent (shot, bottle of beer or glass of wine). Alternate. It has multiple good effects... you stay hydrated, you don't drink as fast, makes it much less likely you'll have a hang-over or any other after-effects, fills you up so you're less tempted to have too many drinks or food that wasn't in your plan, and helps meet your water target for the day.
    And whatever you chose to drink or eat while you're out, TRACK it.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    At some point, you have to ask yourself -- "Is alcohol the only thing I have in common with these people? Do we have fun hanging out together sober?"
    You can budget for some low-cal drinks & nurse them all night. But if you don't like being around them when they're drunk and you're sober, it may be time to branch out a bit and start adding some friends to your life that have more in common with you now.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I am 41, married and don,t go out much, also a light weight as far as alcohol goes a couple of glasses of wine and I feel rubbish the following day. I do still drink though (I will never learn). I hate the feeling of being hungover though so never drink to excess, i tend to budget in the claories perhaps doing a bit more exercise that day (not hard as I exercise a lot anyway). Life after all is for living and you can,t hide away because you are losing weight. When I was 23 (yes I can remember that far back) I worked in a university city after several months of drinking pints of beer every night I had piled on weight and didn,t like it. I used to go to the student bar and stand their with a diet coke not great but I was determined to lose the weight. I still had a good time, i danced a lot and I could actually remember the night, that was a novelty. I probably have a couple of glasses of wine 2-3 nights a week and am still losing weight. i am working on cutting back but it is a habit, as long as my husband and i have been together we have had a bottle of wine after the kids have gone to bed. Don,t stop going out lifes too short.