OMG PMS!!!

Options

Replies

• Lisame11
    Lisame11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I find that I am more hungry during, though I crave chocolate and just stuff really the week before. When I take a vitamin supplement with magnesium I am a lot better. My recommended it to me and it really seems to help. :)
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! I have massive pain and exhaustion for at least three day and I used to take Motrin ahead of time which can help me but now days vary, testing says I am parimenopusal~!:noway:
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I have some strategies. It may sound weird but I've been tracking my symptoms on an app called "P Tracker Lite". I note when I have cravings, moods, etc and the following month I know exactly when to expect those cravings. I will plan for a walk on those days, or a visit to some local low-key attraction.

Also, I can't promote nuts enough. I swear, when I've eaten a 300 cal. lunch I KNOW I will be starving by 4pm and will give into my cravings. So, I plan my calories by meal and often add a Trader Joe's handful bag of almonds or cashews and I promise it keeps me full and the cravings at bay.

Strategies, you need strategies to deal with that time in your cycle but first you have to know when to expect the symptoms, so track!

Good luck!
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Protein and really dark chocolate usually works for me.

I generally allow myself a "day off" dieting on the first day of PMS (the worst day). Obviously don't go eat 5000cals or anything, just be a bit less strict and if you are hungry, go friggen eat something.
  • Starla_86
    Options
    I have massive sugar cravings a few days before and during!! it's really annoying!
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    So glad to know I'm not the only one. :)
  • pegtoledo
    pegtoledo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You had to mention Mr. Goodbar.... ;)
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You had to mention Mr. Goodbar.... ;)

:laugh: :wink: :ohwell:
  • 67butterfly
    67butterfly Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I always want candy. Candy, candy, candy. Swedish fish, taffy, bit-o-honey, kit kats, black licorice, red licorice etc etc... I have noticed lately for about the past 5 months or so, i have had this craving for milk. It seems like i can't get enough milk. I am getting older, so i wonder if my body is just needing the extra calcium, or vitamin d.
  • kerryjudson
    kerryjudson Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    same for me, i call it my hungry week. i try to eat loads of veg to try to fill me up but often give in to toast in the evening. try to exercise so you have lots of extra calories :o)
  • scgbball
    scgbball Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Your body is speaking to you! Don't go crazy, but if you're body needs extra fuel, feed it! Just try to be as healthy as possible :-) Personally I tend to have no appetite at all the first 2 days of my period, so I feel like it all evens out.
  • banks89202
    Options
    Yep it sucks! I eat goldfish crackers to try to fill me up 55 fishys only 140 calories and keeps me feeling full for a little while!
  • chefswife1975
    chefswife1975 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I ate healthy yesterday and nothing seemed to fill me until I broke down and had shrimp cakes, that were fried. Immediately I felt satisfied. I guess I was craving fried foods!! Tada! Today I feel fat and can't fit into anything because I have to go to a charity event. It doesn't help that it's 7:15 and it's still about 90 degrees and humid. Southern California feel like Charleston, SC!! Blech!
  • marylovehellokitty
    Options
    I know the feeling
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Want to eat ALL. THE. TIME!!!
    Every month I just want to eat all the time for the few days leading up to my period, then I'm back to normal. I don't have to have fried or fatty or sweet, but I am hungry constantly for three days or so. It's so difficult to stick to the calories. I still go to the gym and do my workouts, I have no problem staying motivated I just want food.
    WORST feeling in the world...so glad that beast woman only comes out once a month or I'd go bonkers.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Im feeling pretty depressed, eaten desert and more desert today... Could nearly cry... So now im having a beer... Its taking all my willpower to not drink more beer and eat more tarte au chocolat
  • Yuukigirl
    Options
    I usually have the conundrum of knowing I need to eat but my body says "No! Don't! I'll punch your insides!" *punch*
    I also have (usually) very mild anemia that also gives me MONSTER cravings for red meat(saturated fat,anyone?). And my period is irregular(a commonly occurring side effect of being very overweight) so I don't know what's going on until I'm writhing on the bathroom floor in pain hoping I caught a stomach virus. Hopefully, I'll get better control over everything now that I've got a new period tracker app on my phone(MyCalendar is the BEST).
  • chefswife1975
    chefswife1975 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Im feeling pretty depressed, eaten desert and more desert today... Could nearly cry... So now im having a beer... Its taking all my willpower to not drink more beer and eat more tarte au chocolat

We all have days like that. Tomorrow is another day. Don't fret. You didn't undo everything.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    There is science behind this. Here is an article about a study done on women and food cravings during PMS: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/judith-j-wurtman-phd/dr-oz-rubber-wristbands-a_b_785512.html

Basically, it says that the hormones that bring on menstruation also mess with brain chemistry, making it harder for the brain to get the proper serotonin levels.

Serotonin is boosted by non-fructose carb consumption. Unfortunately, we crave all carbs at that time of the month, fructose or not. Eating fruit won't help, but eating chocolate will. A cookie or other high carb snack will help the brain get back to normal.

The article goes on to say that 30 grams of carbs is all that is necessary to beat those cravings. Avoid protein when the carb cravings strike and grab a granola bar or something instead. When the craving has passed, then eat your usual proteins.

Protein will short circuit serotonin production, that is why you should stick to non fruit and non-fructose carbs when the craving strikes. Dark chocolate, a piece of bread (no jelly or peanut butter) with butter, a bowl of cereal (without fruit or nuts), a roll or some pasta will get you feeling better and back on track quickly.
  • kaclaire
    Options
    Yeah I just began my period today and it's such a struggle always. It's also hard because I always gain weight and bloat when I'm on my period and it just makes me feel even worse. I did have 2 squares of dark chocolate today and I'm going to try really really hard to let that be it this month. All I want are sweets!