Help: Working OverNight upside down schedule.

Options
Hello everyone, I have finally returned after working the entire summer with 3 jobs and no time to sleep let alone exercise.

I'm having a very hard time(I now have one job.. That I LOVE ;)

Friday and Saturday nights I work overnight, auditing. Being as though I'm used to working early mornings it is incredibly hard for me to adjust.
In turn I'm eating anything I can to stay awake.. mainly chocolate and energy drinks -_-

I don't want to eat all night but keeping my body busy is the only thing keeping me awake
(the audit takes me an hour to do and I'm literally sitting at the desk the rest of the 7 hours)

Replies

• llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Also don't know if eating dinner at regular time is correct.
  • map502012
    Options
    I work over night also. I eat dinner at the regular time with my family and record it as such. I eat a light breakfast in the morning before going to sleep so I don't wake up mid day starving. I then have my lunch calories for the middle of the night. I make sure I pack my own lunch with lots of low calorie finger food such as baby carrots and hummus. Special K chips/crackers measured out in 100 cal bags. (Yes I count out the chips exactly), an apple sliced with natural peanut butter for dipping, cup-o-soup (only 60 cal) sandwich made with sandwich thins, chicken or tuna. Nuts. Always have protien to make you feel full. Drink lots of water.
    When not working or eating, get up and take a walk. Walk a flight of stairs if you have any at work. If aloud take a book to read on your down time or go talk to a co-worker or help some one else. Hope this helps and good luck!
  • LoneR113
    Options
    I received this information from a nutritionist when I first began night shifts.
    Eat small, regular meals with a balance of whole grain carbohydrates,
    protein, and heart-healthy fats before 1 am. Choose carbohydrates that
    are low in fat and high in fibre like whole grain bread, fruit, and
    low-fat dairy.
    • Eat a turkey sandwich on whole grain bread with a green salad or fruit
    on the side. Try mustard or hummus on the bread instead of mayonnaise,
    and substitute spinach for lettuce.
    • A frozen, low-fat, low-sodium dinner such as Lean Cuisine or Healthy
    Choice can be supplemented with a piece of fruit, veggies or low-fat
    yoghurt.
    • For snacks, bring fruit or dried fruit, vegetables, low-fat yoghurt,
    cottage cheese, whole wheat crackers, pretzels or popcorn or nuts
    • Avoid caffeine during the night. Also, be careful of portion sizes.
    And finally, when your shift is over, have a very light meal or snack
    before you go to bed. By avoiding going to bed too full or too hungry.
    You will improve the quality of your sleep.

I do try to have my dinner at home in the evening with the family before going to work. Then my lunch during my shift, and a breakfast before bed. I also try to keep them at around the same amount of hours inbetween, as I would on my early or late shifts. I find the routine seems to stop that "binge" effect coming on so much.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I was wondering why you say avoid caffeine? I mean maybe black coffee?