The Master Cleanse

Options
Hi everyone!

I recently discovered The Master Cleanse from a family friend and I went out and bought a book called 'Lose Weight, Have More Energy & Be Happier in 10 Days' by Peter Glickman.

Before I take this challenge...I was wondering if anyone has completed/tried this specific cleanse and can share any success stories you might have. Or the DO's and DONT's of this cleanse. I'm really looking to clean out the toxins in my body, which I believe are the leading cause to the majority of my ailments. Just curious what others think...

Thanks!!
MaryAnn

Replies

• ractayjon
    Options
    I fell for the MC about 2 years ago....i wanted to clean out my system after years of sugar and processed foods, feel less tired and I thought it would help kick start my weight loss. I stayed on the MC for 14 days - it is very hard - it takes tons of will. My personal journey had me losing 3 pounds when it was all said and done, I never "cleaned out" the way the books tell you you are going to, my energy never changed and the salt water flush and lax tea made me feel sick daily.
    A few months after the MC I started to eat right (healthy, fresh vegetables, lean proteins and no refined sugar), i also watched my calorie intake (no exercise to speak of outside of normal summer activity) and I lost 9 pounds in the first 2 weeks and wen ton to lose 11 more the next month.
    that is my experience with it - it wasnt worth the time, $ and effort for me.
  • bkeeldo
    bkeeldo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You really don't need to do a cleanse like this because in reality, it's not healthy for you to not eat anything while you are drinking a mixture of water, lemon juice, syrup, and cayenne pepper. You'll lose water weight and muscle while doing it. You aren't getting any nutrients. Try eating fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, drinking lots of water and stay away from processed stuff to really flush your system out.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-lemonade-diet-master-cleanse-diet
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I really don't believe in a cleanse. I think eating healthy is the better way to do it. It's just another shortcut and there are no shortcuts in losing weight. I've lost 42 lbs and 44 inches in 4 months by eating healthy, cooking healthy, eating every 2 to 3 hours, getting in all my water and exercising every day.
  • Tracy9377
    Tracy9377 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I did my first cleanse about a month ago. My boyfriend and I did it together. I thought it was a good place to start, but it's not a panacea. It made me feel exhausted and weak all of the time. I was determined to give it a good concerted effort, but in the end, the benefits were not drastic. I started eating lots of fruits, vegetables, beans, and yougart after I stopped the plan. That made the difference. I consume twice the daily recommended dose of fiber, and have experienced more energy and clearer skin and several of the other benefits that they brag about. My boyfriend didn't notice any difference at all.

The short of it is, skip the cleanse and drink lots of water and eat foods with lots of fiber.

Good luck!
  • elle23
    elle23 Posts: 19
    Options
    I did the master cleanse for 7 days beginning 1/17/10. I wanted to try for the full ten, but by the 7th day I was feeling very dizzy and having blurred vision. So, I stopped. I wanted to clean my body out in preparation for a new, healthy lifestyle (which I have begun). It is very difficult for the first few days, but by the 4th day, it gets a little smoother as far as hunger goes. I know a lot of people try this to loose weight (especially after hearing about Beyonce's results) but that is really not what it's supposed to be about (just an added bonus). I ended up losing nine pounds.

I would not necessarily recommend it, but I will say, if you are going to try it to cleanse your body, don't go back to eating "badly" afterward. That's when it's a waste of time. Also, follow directions exactly how they are written, they are there for a reason. Otherwise, it will also be a waste.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I did master cleanse for 10 days (first three days were tough) and my skin cleared and I was glowing. My energy level was amazing during the cleanse, I had never been so energized in my life. I was doing the salt water flush and laxative tea and I was amazed that after 7 days of no solid foods....I was still "releasing". Also as far as ridding toxins - my tongue was coated white by day 4 or 5, it was gross but I felt like those were the toxins getting out of my body....but who knows.

After all was said and done, I did lose 10 lbs in 10 days but I tell ya....I sure did gain it all back. At the time I did it for the weight loss primary for a jump start and cleansing secondary...most people will tell you the other way around but I like to be honest.

In hindsight...the only benefit it gave me was a new insight to eating healthier. Even after the 10 days on the cleanse you cannot just eat anything immediately, you have to gradually work your way back into solid/raw foods. After the cleanse I had no desire for certain meats or processed foods like I did before I started the Master Cleanse.

After losing weight the right way as I have on this website with portion control, better food choices and exercise....I would never do the master cleanse again for weight loss. Not worth it.

I do not knock anyone for trying anything that I have once tried myself - especially if your primary reason is for the cleansing aspect. So if you have any questions or want to know more, feel free to ask.
  • mctipton
    Options
    To quote elle23 - "I know a lot of people try this to loose weight (especially after hearing about Beyonce's results) but that is really not what it's supposed to be about (just an added bonus)."

I'm definitely NOT doing the MC for "weight loss" purposes, instead doing it to clean out my system of toxins that have been built up from years of eating unhealthy and food LOADED with sugar. As you can see by my ticker I've already lost 12 lbs in about a month just by reducing my caloric intake, making better food choices and joining this website. So, clearly I'm not doing the MC just for the weight loss, b/c I already seem to be doing something right.

I truly appreciate everyone's input on this subject and this is the exact reason I started this blog....to get the pros and cons. I am going to try the cleanse, b/c I feel everyone is different and everyone will react differently to things. (I'm also stubborn and have to see for myself how it affects me) :smile:

Thanks again! Best wishes to everyone on your weight loss journey!! :flowerforyou:
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    You might just try the first two weeks of the South Beach Diet if you are just trying to cleanse your body. No sugar, no red meat, no white carbs, etc...it does work. And you get to eat. I did it with my husband a while back and found that we both lost weight and "released" a bunch of...stuff...from our systems.
  • DoubleAA
    Options
    I was able to make it through 7 days. It was pretty rough at first. You get really irritable when those toxins start evacuating your body. And you have to really stick with the organic items. When you use the lemons you have to be careful that you drink it right away. You don't want to pre-make you lemonade drink.

If you do the Sea-Salt cleanse before hand make sure you have nothing to do for about 2 hours. Because it's going to go right through your body.

Buy a tongue scrapper. Your tongue is going to get really fuzzy and gross. They say to use organic toothpaste too.

Also, read the on-line blog. You may want to do the 3 day ease on 3 day ease off.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I did the Master Cleanse three years ago and would NOT recommend it. Don't know many doctors who would, either.

The weight you lose during the Master Cleanse will be water and poop. At the end of the 10 days you may be up to 10 pounds lighter, but very little of it is actual fat loss and most of it will come back as soon as you start eating normally.

I was very excited to try the Master Cleanse at the time because I'd read in a tabloid (yeah, I know, great source for dietary tips... yeesh) that Beyonce had done it before filming Dreamgirls and lost ten pounds. Did it, it made me sick. Tried again, made me sick again. Then, actuall did research (Silly me- why I didn't do it THEN I can't say except I was not thinking right).

The body doesn't actually need to be 'cleansed'. There is no such thing as a toxic sludge built up in the colon- that's just poop. Actually, your body will cleanse itself VERY nicely naturally if you eat lots of fibre and drink lots of water. Oh, and ease up on the salt. You will lose all that extra stuff in your colon, your skin will look more vibrant, your belly will get flatter and feel happier. And you WILL probably lose extra pounds of retained water and digestive.... crap.

And you won't be starving yourself for 10 days.

Every day more and more doctors are speaking out about cleanses in general and how bad they can be for your body. They're also pretty unnecessary and just plain scary.

As for 'toxins' in the body, doing the Master Cleanse won't get rid of those toxins. The only REAL way to undo years of bad eating is by eating well, drinking lots of water, exercising, etc. The word 'toxins' in general kind of annoys me because it's just lingo that the people who sell these cleanses use in order to scare people into buying their product.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    . "You get really irritable when those toxins start evacuating your body. "

That's probably because your electrolytes were all screwed up.

You body has its own "cleansing system" Its called your liver and kidneys. And it is done for free. These "cleansing" diets are dangerous and can land you in the hospital. Don't waste your money, and the weight loss that occurs is usually from dehydration.
  • DoubleAA
    Options
    . "You get really irritable when those toxins start evacuating your body. "

That's probably because your electrolytes were all screwed up.

You body has its own "cleansing system" Its called your liver and kidneys. And it is done for free. These "cleansing" diets are dangerous and can land you in the hospital. Don't waste your money, and the weight loss that occurs is usually from dehydration.

Or it could have been the lack of Pepsi in my system. Hmmm....\

I know some people that do the Cleanse for more than 10 days. I'm personally glad I did it for the short amount of time. I felt better after doing it. I didn't do it for the weight loss honestly. I don't feel nearly as bloated as I did before.

To each their own.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    waste of time and money
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options

I know some people that do the Cleanse for more than 10 days. I'm personally glad I did it for the short amount of time. I felt better after doing it. I didn't do it for the weight loss honestly. I don't feel nearly as bloated as I did before.

To each their own.

See, I don't doubt some people feel better after the cleanse. Less bloated, etc...

The point that a lot of people are trying to make is that cleansing is unneccessary (and potentially dangerous). Yes, it may make you less bloated by reducing water retention (if all you're DOING is drinking, yes, you'll let go of water retention) and clearing out your colon (through the salt water 'flushes' and senna tea). Yes, you may feel better after doing it.

But would you feel any LESS better if you'd flushed out 'toxins' and got rid of water retention through a good old-fashioned low sodium diet and by drinking a lot of water? Would your colon be any less 'cleansed' if you ate a bran muffin every morning and 8 cups of water a day?

It's not about doubting the PHYSICAL benefits of a cleanse (because of course it feels better to get rid of the bloat and the crap inside your belly). Rather, it's about pointing out that none of the benefits you get from a cleanse can't be gained from fibre, water and reduced salt intake. Your bowels, your kidneys, your liver- they're all fine-tuned machines quite capable of doing the job on their own. It's simply not necessary (and is potentially harmful) to go to such drastic lengths as living on a lemonade diet for 10 days.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options

To each their own.

See, I don't doubt some people feel better after the cleanse. Less bloated, etc...

The point that a lot of people are trying to make is that cleansing is unneccessary (and potentially dangerous). Yes, it may make you less bloated by reducing water retention (if all you're DOING is drinking, yes, you'll let go of water retention) and clearing out your colon (through the salt water 'flushes' and senna tea). Yes, you may feel better after doing it.

But would you feel any LESS better if you'd flushed out 'toxins' and got rid of water retention through a good old-fashioned low sodium diet and by drinking a lot of water? Would your colon be any less 'cleansed' if you ate a bran muffin every morning and 8 cups of water a day?

It's not about doubting the PHYSICAL benefits of a cleanse (because of course it feels better to get rid of the bloat and the crap inside your belly). Rather, it's about pointing out that none of the benefits you get from a cleanse can't be gained from fibre, water and reduced salt intake. Your bowels, your kidneys, your liver- they're all fine-tuned machines quite capable of doing the job on their own. It's simply not necessary (and is potentially harmful) to go to such drastic lengths as living on a lemonade diet for 10 days.

I totally agree with all of this. There is no scientific evidence out there that there is any benefit at all to these cleanses. Fiber and water will give you a good old fashioned cleanse.
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    I've done the master cleanse, I can't remember now how long I went for...10 days? I felt great while I was on it and while I didn't experience any of the "shedding mucoid plaque" or whatever I didn't find the cleanse difficult, except for resisting the temptation of pizza. I could bike to get around (my bike is my primary mode of transportation) without feeling weak, but trying to do any really strenuous workouts was a bad idea and is generally ill advised when you're doing juice fasting/cleansing like this.

I don't know if I lost weight, I didn't check. Anything you do lose on the Master Cleanse is NOT going to stay off.

I don't know if the Master Cleanse does anything more than just clear out your guts for two weeks, I'd like to believe that after 10 days my liver and shiny brand new and my digestive tract was polished and ready for a fight. Other types of Juice Fasting have been used to promote overall health, but those are usually best done under the supervision of a professional.

As well, there are tons of other types of cleanses, their efficacy are all debatable. The meaning of life and the answer to health is not in a lemonade concoction, sadly.

I should note, though, that I'm actually quite fond of the lemonade concotion. I use TONS of cayenne and not much (if any) syrup. It's good for clearing up sinus or chest congestion when you're sick, too.
  • CareyT
    CareyT Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have done the Master Cleanser 3 times in the last 5 years and I think it has good points and bad. Twice I made it for 7 days, once for 14, and one time I quit after three days because it was my TOM and I felt so exhausted I had to call in sick to work.

The most important thing to realize is that this is not about the body nearly as much as the mind. By choosing not to eat for 10 days, you will see how much of your daily thoughts, routines, and social gathering are centered around food and drink. You will notice when other people eat and turn down food. You will be hyper-aware of your bodies digestive and elimination processes. For people who have spent a lot of time focused on eating too much of the wrong things and ignoring the parts of digestion below the stomach, this can be a very good reminder that eating is just part of the process.

For me, when it worked the best, I was not very busy, it was a warm time of year where I was, and I had enough money not to stress out about the costs of Grade B Maple Syrup and organic lemons. I definitely recommend getting the proper syrup. You can order it from a health food store if it's not there. If you want to do it, do it right. Spend your time not cooking and eating doing yoga, going for walks, meditating, relaxing, going to a sauna or hot springs or swimming pool, or walking in nature. It can be a really refreshing, trying experience, but it can also be rewarding. Once you have finished the fast, that first drink of orange juice is the most delicious thing you will ever drink. It makes your whole body tingle and you feel like you could fly.

The most important thing about fasting is how you start and how you come off the fast. Actually listen to the advice in the book about what to eat before. Stick to raw veggies and fruits, broths and juices for a couple of days before. It will be so much easier the first three days if you gradually get into it.

The cleansing every morning... it is a necessity. You must drink a strong cup of laxative tea. I have always used Senna leaf tea. Yogi teas makes one called Smooth Move that tastes great. In the morning wake up early and slam down a quart of warm salt water. Make sure it's measured exactly. If it's too salty you'll throw it up and if it's not salty enough, you will have a terrible stomach ache. I have always found it to go pretty much right through me in an hour, but it's different every day. You don't want to be at work or in a public restroom for this event. Trust me.

All that being said, I think it can be a rewarding experience. You won't lose any weight that won't come back, but if you really want to examine your life, you relationship to food, and start with a clean slate, it's not bad. From me and all my friends who have done it over the years, no one got sick, had any permanent damage or went to the hospital.

But, a week of raw fruits and veggies is also really difficult to pull off and a great cleanse. A week of brown rice and raw veggies, or a few days of vegetable juice are also really good at getting your digestion and metabolism moving. If you adopt a new healthy eating plan and stick to it, it's not going to be easy. Doing something where you get to eat good things all the time is probably better for your body in the long run and as soon as you get started changing the way you eat, the better. Taking a break from eating is not going to help you change what you crave. Good luck!
  • mctipton
    Options
    I have done the Master Cleanser 3 times in the last 5 years and I think it has good points and bad. Twice I made it for 7 days, once for 14, and one time I quit after three days because it was my TOM and I felt so exhausted I had to call in sick to work.

The most important thing to realize is that this is not about the body nearly as much as the mind. By choosing not to eat for 10 days, you will see how much of your daily thoughts, routines, and social gathering are centered around food and drink. You will notice when other people eat and turn down food. You will be hyper-aware of your bodies digestive and elimination processes. For people who have spent a lot of time focused on eating too much of the wrong things and ignoring the parts of digestion below the stomach, this can be a very good reminder that eating is just part of the process.

For me, when it worked the best, I was not very busy, it was a warm time of year where I was, and I had enough money not to stress out about the costs of Grade B Maple Syrup and organic lemons. I definitely recommend getting the proper syrup. You can order it from a health food store if it's not there. If you want to do it, do it right. Spend your time not cooking and eating doing yoga, going for walks, meditating, relaxing, going to a sauna or hot springs or swimming pool, or walking in nature. It can be a really refreshing, trying experience, but it can also be rewarding. Once you have finished the fast, that first drink of orange juice is the most delicious thing you will ever drink. It makes your whole body tingle and you feel like you could fly.

The most important thing about fasting is how you start and how you come off the fast. Actually listen to the advice in the book about what to eat before. Stick to raw veggies and fruits, broths and juices for a couple of days before. It will be so much easier the first three days if you gradually get into it.

The cleansing every morning... it is a necessity. You must drink a strong cup of laxative tea. I have always used Senna leaf tea. Yogi teas makes one called Smooth Move that tastes great. In the morning wake up early and slam down a quart of warm salt water. Make sure it's measured exactly. If it's too salty you'll throw it up and if it's not salty enough, you will have a terrible stomach ache. I have always found it to go pretty much right through me in an hour, but it's different every day. You don't want to be at work or in a public restroom for this event. Trust me.

All that being said, I think it can be a rewarding experience. You won't lose any weight that won't come back, but if you really want to examine your life, you relationship to food, and start with a clean slate, it's not bad. From me and all my friends who have done it over the years, no one got sick, had any permanent damage or went to the hospital.

But, a week of raw fruits and veggies is also really difficult to pull off and a great cleanse. A week of brown rice and raw veggies, or a few days of vegetable juice are also really good at getting your digestion and metabolism moving. If you adopt a new healthy eating plan and stick to it, it's not going to be easy. Doing something where you get to eat good things all the time is probably better for your body in the long run and as soon as you get started changing the way you eat, the better. Taking a break from eating is not going to help you change what you crave. Good luck!

CareyT...thank you so much for your post. While I respect the views of others who are against this cleanse....it's enlightening to see someone who has had success with it...albeit a short while. I couldn't have said it better myself, when you said it's more a mental challenge than anything...which is my ultimate goal....to retrain my mind/body into eating what is RIGHT for my system and help with the craving of the bad stuff. My eating habits are so bad that I can't continuing to show this bad example to my children....so I'm putting myself through the test. Thanks again for your input!

-MaryAnn :smile:
  • knewton3033
    Options
    The reason why its so hard at first is because if your overweight and youve been eating processed foods for years your kidneys and livers have a hard time keeping up, the toxins are being released so its going to be rough for the first part!
  • ttova
    ttova Posts: 11
    Options
    I am on the master cleanse right now.. I have done it two to three times a year for the last 3 years..
    It is an awesome kick start to a new season.. I do it whenever I feel like I am losing control over my eating..It gives me back focus and somehow gets rid of my sore knees and ankles and other arthritic symptoms.
    In the past I have done about a week each time.. the most I have ever done once was 10 days. As others say the first 3-4 days are tough.. But after that it is a piece of cake.( bad analogy.. I know)
    This time I decided to read the book again and do it right.. I want to really detox fully. I am at day 19 and my tongue is still coated white and metallic tasting. So I am forging ahead. I am sure I will not make it to the 40 days they say you must never go beyond.. But I know I am not done quite yet.
    My bodily fluids are fascinating. I've gone days without releases and am now shedding all sorts of old looking mucous like matter. I broke out in facial pimples my second week but those are all cleared up now. I do not do the salt water flush as I suffer from IBD and that would hurt me but I do take an herbal laxative tea on weekends when I have time to sit around and let them do their thing.
    My energy is awesome. I have worked steadily throughout. but have not gone to the gym. I think that would put me over the edge.
    I know this is nit for everyone but I know doctors who do this cleanse a few times a year... Most holistic practitioners I know will recommend a cleanse yearly for all the right reasons. I see it as a tune up.. You clean out your car's systems once or twice a year , why not our own?
    And yes I think the body does cleanse on it s own quite well but not if you are living in an urban environment with all the stresses of modern life. Sometimes we just need a little help.