Incredibly Frusterated!!

Options
Hi All, This is my first post, so bear with me.

In January of 2008, I decided that at 5'9", and weighing in at 222, and squeezing into a size 16, that it was time for a change. I began a calorie restricted diet, and with that first month I had lost 20lbs! It was great, I had finally found something that worked for me. I was able to count my calories, and did moderate exercise, and the wieght actaully came off! I had been heavy all my life, and in the summer of 2010, I reached the weight of 138, and was wearing a size 4 or 6 depending on the brand.

In March of 2011, I decided to quit smoking, by December of 2011, I weighed 168. Then, to my absolute joy, I found out I was pregnant. And then the cravings hit!!

This Augest 4th, I gave birth to my beautiful baby boy!! But.... I went into the hospital weighing 240lbs!!

I'm down to 209, and doing my calorie counting again, but the weight is not "falling off" like it did when I began my diet last time. Its incredible frusterating! I haven't been given the ok for exercise yet, because I had a C-Section, and I am really hoping that once that ok is given it will get better.

Its really hard to look at myself anymore. All the hard work that I put in, to FINALLY have gotten thin, only to get heavy again. I have no clothes other than maternity that fit me anymore, and I don't even want to buy any, because I dont want to be comfortable at this weight. I have even contemplated starting to smoke again. I'm just really discouraged, and my self-esteem is getting lower and lower, and then I want to stress eat.

Any suggestions are welcome to help get my body back. Does your body want to "hold on" to the pregnancy weight? Do I need to calorie restrict more? I know myself, and I need to start seeing results or I'm going to get discouraged and quit, and I really don't want to stay this size, and am worried that that is what's going to happen.

Replies

• fredf2112
    fredf2112 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    First, welcome and congratulations on your new son.

I can’t answer you about “pregnancy weight” but I would suggest talking with your doctor and coming up with a plan together. As you know, this is a good site for counting your calories, setting goals, sharing your triumphs (and the occasional set back) and mutual support. As for the smoking, I don’t think that will be a solution. It seems to be substituting one thing for another and I’m sure you don’t want to smoke around your son.

You are obviously a strong person who has fought and won this battle before so I know you can do it. If I can be of any help (encouraging, nagging, etc…) please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Please don't be so hard on yourself! You just had a baby and major surgery. You need to give yourself some time to heal before worrying about weight loss. Take care of yourself and your baby and put things into perspective.

When I had my daughter with a c-section many years ago, I had only gained 20 lbs because I had morning sickness all day long for the entire pregnancy. I walked out of the hospital 5 lbs. over my prepregnancy weight. It still took me over a year to get back in shape because of all of the changes that happen to your body and your skin. Was it worth it to have a baby? Absolutely.

The thinnest woman I know had a baby and I gave her the same advice about waiting a year to get the body back and she thanked me for it after her son was a couple of years old because she had the same experience with skin tone.

Just take it one day at a time and start getting back on track. You can do this, you've done it before and you will be better than ever before you know it.
  • banks89202
    Options
    Ok your story sounds like mine, I am almost 5"10, I lost a bunch of weight before I had my daughter but now after I had her I gained it back and some, It seems it is harder to lose it after you have a baby.
  • Tanimom
    Tanimom Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I know this is so discouraging! Add to that the sleep deprivation and hormonal shifts that come with a new baby and it's a real challenge. I'm hoping your nursing your baby. That helps as they comsume around 1000 calories a day. But if not, be kind to yourself, make small changes and be patient. You have alot going on and it will come with time.
  • glacier81
    glacier81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am a stress eater as well so I know that struggle! But, I also know how miserable I feel when I give in and binge. Don't do it, it's not worth it and you'll end up just feeling worse!

Please don't start smoking again! You want to be around a very long time for your baby boy. Stay smoke free for him and his health as well!!
  • Hadiyeh
    Options
    If you are in fact breastfeeding, please speak to your doctor before dropping your calories. If you don't eat enough while breastfeeding it will affect your milk supply. Your body actually requires more calories while nursing than pregnant! No joke.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    if you stick to 1800-2200 (BF and minimal exercise) you will lose weight. Please don't start smoking again.

Good luck!
  • neon7girl
    neon7girl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I know its frustrating, but you are going thru ALOT of hormonal changes, lack of sleep, maybe some post partum depression. When you are cleared for exercise, go out and walk with the baby stroller, small steps will make you feel better. What you don't want to hear, but you will understand one day is it took 9 months to have the baby, it takes 9 months to get back to feeling like you did before you were pregnant. I lost weight but gained with my second pregnancy and with an unsupportive husband, never lost the weight -got rid of the husband, now I'm losing. :wink: . I'm telling you this to have patience because you can and will do it, but it may not be the right time. Let recovery happen first, and build back to where you were pre-pregnancy.
  • Jenn082110
    Options
    Wow, I cannot believe how many responses I got so quickly. Thank you all for the supportive words. I can be a little....okay very "type A", and I'm learning that things don't always go the way I want/planned them to go. Just still sad that I gained so much weight with the pregnancy.
  • bopanee
    bopanee Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the baby! Feel free to add me! :)