CrossFit has changed my life, FOREVER

Options
I don't care what other people say about CrossFit, it being a cult, drinking the Kool-Aid or it being dangerous. CrossFit (CF) has saved me. Being an active member of the CrossFit community has given me what I always lacked: self confidence and pride.
I was always into working out, going to the gym and being active. I have always had a muscular build and had athletic ability, but I didn't know the extent of what I was capable of until I began CrossFitting. Every milestone, whether it be a box jump, to my first pull up, or a heavy clean and jerk, it has helped me develop the person that I am and taken me beyond the goals I set for myself.
I had a major hip and back injury that limited my fitness for 3 years. I was seeing Physical Therapists, Chiropractors, getting Cortisone shots, on pain meds, everything! Olympic lifting, which is a big component of CF, is all about form and virtuosity; starting with the core then moving to extremities. I let the coaches know about my injuries and did the exercises that I could do. Through the constantly varied programming, I have strengthened my core and back and have had NO pain in over a year. This is not an exaggeration. I was sore from doing new things, but no pain from my actual injuries. Where I was spending 200 dollars a month on co-pays alone, I now spend to stay healthy, be happy and medicine free in an awesome CrossFit community.
I'm telling you this because anyone can do it. ANYONE. If you NEED or WANT to get healthy and be fit, this is for you. There is a 74 year old great grandmother at my gym. There are women who are pregnant, A man with a prosthetic leg, and former meat-heads. The workouts are infinitely scalable to YOUR level, no one else's, but everyone is there to help you through it.
Ive lost 13 pounds total, defined my muscles (but not gotten bulky) and feel better about myself than I ever had, all in one year. Hell, I can deadlift 245lbs! When I think about this last year, I am so thankful that I didnt listen to all the haters and join in on the bad talk about CF. It has changed me, forever.

Replies

• Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Good job on your progress

All this is possible with out having to step foot in a crossfit gym.
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    to be fair to the poster and the Cross Fit community, I am certain that we only ever see the idiots and bad trainers. Just with any sport, activity or training you will have your good, bad and terrible people.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    All this is possible with out having to step foot in a crossfit gym.
    Of course it's possible. For some of us, though, for various reasons, this is the thing that works to get us going.
    I had access to nice gyms for my entire adult life, and I was never successful at committing to a strength training program.
    The group atmosphere and close instruction from the trainers at CrossFit has helped me to stick with it, feel confident that I'm doing the exercises right, and even enjoy it a little.
  • ixap
    Options
    to be fair to the poster and the Cross Fit community, I am certain that we only ever see the idiots and bad trainers. Just with any sport, activity or training you will have your good, bad and terrible people.
    I think so. I'm sure you could find amusing footage of people doing any sport incorrectly.
  • EdgyMcSterious
    Options
    Glad you're having such a positive experience with Crossfit. I like the idea of Crossfit but for me, a person who likes to go on long runs and rides it's not really practical.

Just this week I was watching the Crossfit games on TV at Camp Pendelton. As an endurance athlete I was shocked to see the leaders of the "endurance" event cramping up and walking during the run after a 700 meter swim (with fins!), and only a 5 mile bike.

With the tagline "The Fittest on Earth" I was expecting more.

Don't get me wrong, these people are in awesome shape, if you're interested in a sport that consists of short explosive bursts of power. But for a person that enjoys endurance sports, it's totally wrong for me.
  • ixap
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, these people are in awesome shape, if you're interested in a sport that consists of short explosive bursts of power. But for a person that enjoys endurance sports, it's totally wrong for me.
    I actually like it BECAUSE I'm by nature an endurance runner -- it gives me the balance I was wanting in my body composition.

I do have to laugh at CF's claims about making you a better runner, especially when they claim that just doing intervals, no long runs, and doing exercises other than running are nearly as good at improving running as a traditional program.