low carb
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    neither.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I think that there is not one answer to that question. I personally do better on lower carb and think that fats are necessary, but others feel differently. If you choose low-fat, make sure all your fats come from good sources--nuts, avocados, eggs, lean meats, dairy. If you choose low-carb, even more important that you choose only good carbs, nothing processed--whole fruits and vegetables, plenty of leafy greens, legumes. That way you will still get what you need (or most of what you need) whichever route you choose.

Good luck!
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Both.
    I know....sorry.
    There's a lot of ifs though!
    Complex carbs: Whole grains, fruits, most vegetables
    Are generally ok for me in moderation. It's the white stuff that everyone loves, that contributes to high blood sugar, which causes pancreatic distress, and weight gain around your middle.

Same with fats, unsaturated fats are good in moderation: Olive oil, nuts, fish, lean protein...
    It's the saturated fat and the transfat which will hurt you in the long run.
    Tans fat ...well I will not eat ANYTHING with that in it anymore. It really is horrible.

And I'm all about moderation.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    neither.

This. I think balance is a much better approach, barring issues that dictate you must do low fat or low carb.
    Just having a decent balance, like 40, 30, 30, of healthy protein, carb and fat sources seems the sensible and sustainable approach to me.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    neither. try a sensible approach. eat what tastes good, is packed with nutrients, and keeps you satisfied.

maybe that means turkey chili w/ an ounce of low fat cheese and reduced fat sour cream. (notice i didn't say FAT FREE)

or perhaps a sandwich w/ 1 tbsp melted chocolate chips, peanut butter, and 1/2 a banana.

or even bacon, eggs, and whole grain toast.

you can reach your goals without resorting to any extreme measures.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I try to keep low on both but I would rather cut down on fat than carbs.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    low carb if low means about 75-125 g of veggie and dairy carbs

carbs are the only macro nutrient that the body can do without. We need good fat and protein but need very low carbs.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I try to keep low on both but I would rather cut down on fat than carbs.

the opposite is actually better for you
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think it' really depends on the person. I have to stay fairly low carb to lose weight but at the same time.. really fatty things affect my long term health. It's all about balance! The kinds of carbs, the kinds of fat..
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    For me personally, low carbs works better than low fat. Not low carb in the Atkins phase 1 sense. I'm at around 100-120 g carbs daily right now and my middle section is shrinking several inches each week. Each person is different. I don't think there is a bad macro out there, it is just finding the right ratio for your personal health.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    you can reach your goals without resorting to any extreme measures.

When I decided to experiment with cutting out grains ( I am not allergic or anything like that) I initially thought it was a bit extreme.

But now, after cutting out grains, the benefits still amaze me and it doesnt feel extreme and I dont feel deprived at all.
  • Ruthie7735
    Options
    For me it is low carbs. The carbs really stick on my hips.:cry:
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    For me personally, low carbs works better than low fat. Not low carb in the Atkins phase 1 sense. I'm at around 100-120 g carbs daily right now and my middle section is shrinking several inches each week. Each person is different. I don't think there is a bad macro out there, it is just finding the right ratio for your personal health.

This…I gave up bread, pasta, rice and potatoes…plenty of carbs in other foods. Totally agree on the "right ratio" for you personally at whatever stage of life you are in.
  • luckygohappy
    luckygohappy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Reduced-carb (not low carb) with moderate fat works best for me. I try to stick to whole grains and combine carbs with protein as much as possible (helps keep my blood sugar at a more even keel.) The biggest things I try to avoid are trans fats, added sugars (especially high-fructose corn syrup), and soy.