Looking for other venison ideas!

Options
This is kind of urgent, seeing as I have an 8 pointer taking up 2 coolers on my porch at the moment.
I've already done 5 lbs of sausage, going to do 5 more lbs tomorrow.
I'm planning a stew but have grown tired of looking at online recipes.
Just would like to see what other's are doing with this year's harvest or
previous harvests. GOOD venison recipes are hard to come by and most
have to be perfected with trial and error in my recent experience.
Any input appreciated. Like, how do you prepare your burgers? Roasts? Etc.

Replies

• allnaday
    allnaday Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    we make jerky!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Motley Meatloaf
    Submitted by John Gleason.

~ 2 lb’s ground deer
    ~ 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
    ~ 1 medium onion, finely chopped
    ~ 3 cloves garlic, minced
    ~ 1 medium carrot, grated
    ~ 3/4 cup couscous
    ~ 3/4 cup water
    ~ 2 tbsp mustard, jalapeno mustard optional
    ~ 2 tbsp bbq sauce
    ~ 1/4 tsp sage
    ~ 1 tsp seasoning salt
    ~ 3 tbsp vinegar
    ~ fresh ground black pepper

In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil. Add the onion, garlic and carrot and sauté until tender.

Bring the water to a boil in a sauce pan. Remove from heat and stir in the couscous.

When the sauté mixture is ready, pour it into a large mixing bowl. Add the couscous.

Add the remaining ingredients except the pepper and mix well. Use caution because it can be hot.

Shape into a loaf shape and place in a greased 3”x9” loaf pan.

Sprinkle with pepper to taste.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 – 60 minutes.

Serve and enjoy.
  • suenix24
    suenix24 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    something quick and easy...venison tacos and venison sloppy joes!! my kids love them. :)
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    My husband is going to try canning this year. I am not a fan but he has tons of recipes including BBQ, venison salad instead of chicken salad, chili, stroganoff recipes to try this winter.
  • Kendie1
    Options
    We mix our venison with ground pork. We use a ratio of 1 part port for every 3 parts venison. When we mix it like this, no one can tell that it's not ground beef. Our favorite recipe for venison is below:

Korean Venison BBQ

Marinate 1 lb venison steaks for 15-60 minutes in mixture of:
    1/3 c soy sauce
    3 T sugar
    2 t minced onions
    1/2 t ground ginger
    1/4 t garlic powder
    ground pepper to taste

Transfer meat to skillet on medium-high heat. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.

Note: This goes well as a main dish or in a stir-fry
  • amyschintler
    Options
    We usually mince the venison and I make Spagetti Bol or Lasagne. It makes the best Lasagne. So tasty. Make a heap of spag bol sauce which can be used for both bol or lasagne and freeze. Take out when needed :)
  • onehurt
    onehurt Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I make burger using 3 lbs deer,2 lbs ground beef and 1 lbs bacon. Grind it all together. It makes a very good burger, and some awesome meatloaf. If I have it figured right it is still a few less calories the store bought hamburger.

I also mix 50/50 with pork and use seasonings to make breakfast sausage!

Mark
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    just had venison liver and onions tonight! yummy!!!
  • schubbj73
    Options
    try taking the tenderloins or back-straps or really any good cut of deer (that can be used for steaks) and marinate in buttermilk for a couple hours... rinse off the excess buttermilk and you will have the most tender steaks EVER!!! Also, alot of sports themed stores (Academy, Bass Pro, etc..) have some great seasonings especially for wild game.. season with what you like, throw on the grill with some veggies and enjoy!
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Lucky! Season opens for me tomorrow. Got the muzzleloader ready to go.

I like cutting the heart into bite size strips. Marinate in balsamic vinegar, rosemary, salt, cracked pepper and olive oil.

Cook medium rare so its not too tough. I sear about 60 seconds each side in a skillet with olive oil.
  • SandraBaumeister
    Options
    I don't have a ton of experience with venison but I do like to cook my roasts in my crockpot, long and slow. I usually do little to it. Maybe one time I will add a bit of Montreal Steak Spice. Next time, some soy sauce, and maybe a packet of french onion soup mix. Or rub a bit of olive oil on it, brown all sides and then into the crock pot. Serve with some horseradish and a beef gravy. Yum yum.

When I make meatloaf, I like to soak some bread crumbs in egg and milk for a couple of minutes. I add alot of my seasoning to this mixture as well. I put in some dried basil or worcestershire, soy and garlic. It keeps it moist and yummy. I do not cook it in a loaf pan. I shape it and bake for about an hour, or put it in a crockpot on low.

I hope these make sense. Really, I understand the 'try and perfect' attitude. Needs to be done.