I QUIT

Options
And I'm sooo happy about it! I have been trying to lose weight (and succeeded I might add) but one thing that kept dragging me back down was the fact that I've been a pack a day smoker since i was 12. Nicotine took hold of me bad and I couldn't go an hour without smoking which made keeping up with exercise EXTRA painful on my chest and made me give up and fall back into old habits alot. I tried to quit a couple of times but always ended up having pretty bad withdrawal symptoms, so I recently bought the E-cig, cuz i figured at least it would let my lungs heal from all the smoke. I got my E-cigs a week ago, threw out my reg. cigs and after two days of the E-cig I had NO desire to smoke at all, I haven't touched the E-cig or a regular cigarette in five days and the withdrawal isn't a fraction of what it was when I tried to go cold turkey. I have no desire to smoke and I have no idea why or where it came from because honestly I wasn't even expecting the E-cig to stop me from smoking real cigarettes. I'm free of nicotine and it's fantastic and I can finally get on with healing my body and getting healthy! I'm also working hard at trying to convince my mother and sisters to give up smoking (especially since I now know how BAD BAD BAD smoke smells!) That's my success! :bigsmile:

Replies

• mrsmark2010
    Options
    That is amazing. Great job!!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Wow! awesome!
  • rcalvert1
    rcalvert1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome to hear! I really need to do the same however Im just not there yet. You are a great inspiration ... thanks for sharing
  • christinet8504
    Options
    That on its own is a total life changer! Good work!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I have also QUIT that nasty habit in the last month.

I started running and it was killing me - felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest all the time and I would get dizzy just from standing up. Threw out the rest of my pack 16 days ago and never looked back.

So, AWESOME JOB!!! :flowerforyou:
  • wluyando
    wluyando Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Congrats, I have never smoke but I heard is really hard to quit, kuddos to you for taking this big step in your life that will give you great benefits !!!
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thats so great!
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I have also QUIT that nasty habit in the last month.

I started running and it was killing me - felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest all the time and I would get dizzy just from standing up. Threw out the rest of my pack 16 days ago and never looked back.

So, AWESOME JOB!!! :flowerforyou:
    Heck WALKING made my chest feel like it was going to explode if I did it too fast, my legs never got tired when I exercised but my chest couldn't take it !
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Congrats, I have never smoke but I heard is really hard to quit, kuddos to you for taking this big step in your life that will give you great benefits !!!
    Hard doesn't begin to cover it, imagine you're under water and you can't get back to the top to take a breath, that panic is what I felt every time I tried to quit, but the difference is I couldn't just "take a breath" and make it go away, the only thing that made the panic leave was smoking again :/ I have no idea why I didn't feel that way this time but I'm so glad !
  • ASH0424
    ASH0424 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic!!
    Happy rest of the journey to you!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Wonderful job.
  • marthah41
    Options
    My eyes are watery. I was a champion quitter. Just couldn't stay off those things. My first quit was 1990. My last quit was September 25, 2008. The next day I put a pedometer on and started walking. Can't say I haven't gained some weight, but I've at least be able to keep in under control. The main thing though is that all the pills, patches, and what nots are not going to help you quit unit you are really ready. It sounds like you were and happened on an aid that gave you the nudge you needed. I so wish you well.
  • Angela_2_Oh
    Angela_2_Oh Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Congrats! It will be one of the best things you have ever done for yourself.
  • caldon4523
    caldon4523 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I use to smoke. The problem I had was stress at work and a lack of any motivation or physical activity to help me quite smoking. So earlier this year I quite my job, took up jogging and quite smoking overnight. I am now training to run in next month's Columbus Marathon, half marathon division. I'm up to 10 miles. I also found a less stressful job. Congrats to you!!!
  • peachea
    peachea Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Such an amazing feat!!

I quit cold turkey nearly 3 years ago. Smoked 30 years. Horrible habit. I quit many times before I finally let it go. I still have the full pack of smokes I last used. Never got rid of them. One of these days, but keeping them around helped me immensely. Always told myself I could have one any time I wanted. Now Ive forgotten about them unless someone mentions it or I find them while looking for the engine oil.

Best wishes to you!! You can do it.
  • jbloomfj
    jbloomfj Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Great job. Its been five years since i quit and it took me I don't know how many tries before i succeeded. It takes a positive frame of mind and a desire to quit. I wish all the luck and an edded incentive is all the money that you save
  • PamL66
    PamL66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting! I lost my mother to lung cancer almost 18 years ago. I'm always glad to hear that someone has beaten this addiction! Good for you - you'll be all the happier and healthier for it!!
  • vickilm1976
    vickilm1976 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Best thing EVER!
  • NewASH2013
    NewASH2013 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!