Can't do a pushup to save my life

Options
So what can I do to work up to doing one? (well, like, 3x12) I struggle on my knees to do one a well. :sad: Does plank help??

Thanks!

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Actually, women who are top heavy have a very hard time doing pushups. I can only do them on my knees. I wouldn't worry about it. You could use light weights and start building up some upper arm strength though to help.
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    Thanks, I'm also wondering which muscles need to get stronger- core and triceps?
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If you struggle with being on your knees, you could do wall push-ups. Not quite as effective, but definitely better that not doing any.
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    if you want to work up to doing pushups, start with a light bench press and work your way up. make sure to have a spotter!
  • iRebel
    Options
    if you want to work up to doing pushups, start with a light bench press and work your way up. make sure to have a spotter!
    will dumbells work?
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    A number of great things you can do. Do a static pushup. Hold it as long as you can and work up to 90 seconds. Another way, do the pushup standing up -- against a wall or kitchen sink. Also, you can do a pushup on a fitness ball. All these give you every single benefit of a standard pushup without the wear and tear on your knees and without the struggle. For example, a 90 second static pushup equals 90 regular pushups, according to the author of The 90 Second Fitness Solution.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    It is easier from your knees because you are lifting a smaller portion of your body weight. You can make it easier by standing and doing pushups against a wall or counter. The higher your hands relative to your feet, the easier it will be. You can gradually lower your hands until you are able to do one from your knees. Then you can work on transitioning to doing pushups from the plank position. Form is very important to protect your shoulders.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    So what can I do to work up to doing one? (well, like, 3x12) I struggle on my knees to do one a well. :sad: Does plank help??

Thanks!
    Start out with some wall ones in good form, you'll not only gain strength but confidence that you can do them! Check out youtube for the proper stance. Wall ones are tough if done properly, some think they're wimpy but not when done correctly. Plus you can jump up and do some during commercials!! :wink:

It's tough to start out when you don't feel you have upper body strength but I think you'll do great!!:wink::drinker:
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Push-ups work the abs, the triceps and the pectorals among other muscles when executed in proper form. I am sure someone else has a deeper understanding.

Start with trying to do one push-up in proper form.

Here is a video about proper form: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipTxex5zX0U

You can work your way up to that by starting from the knees, but eventually try to do one proper push-up. When you achieve that, go for two, etc. You can do it.
  • iRebel
    Options
    A number of great things you can do. Do a static pushup. Hold it as long as you can and work up to 90 seconds. Another way, do the pushup standing up -- against a wall or kitchen sink. Also, you can do a pushup on a fitness ball. All these give you every single benefit of a standard pushup without the wear and tear on your knees and without the struggle. For example, a 90 second static pushup equals 90 regular pushups, according to the author of The 90 Second Fitness Solution.
    really? thanks, that's awesome! I think my main problem is that doing pushups is so awkward. the static pushup sounds like a great idea.
  • iRebel
    Options

Thanks!
    Start out with some wall ones in good form, you'll not only gain strength but confidence that you can do them! Check out youtube for the proper stance. Wall ones are tough if done properly, some think they're wimpy but not when done correctly. Plus you can jump up and do some during commercials!! :wink:

It's tough to start out when you don't feel you have upper body strength but I think you'll do great!!:wink::drinker:
    awww, thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • EdgyMcSterious
    Options
    Do you have stairs in your house? If so, you can do them on the stairs. For example, your feet are on the floor at the base of the stairs, put your hands on the stairs in a pushup position. You'll be at about 45° or so. Do your pushups. As you progress move your hands down the stairs. Before you know it, you'll be doing them on the ground. Good luck!!!
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    will dumbells work?

yes, as long as you keep the right form

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFcU-d5uDmM
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    JUST KEEP TRYING! ChaLEAN Extreme and P90X have forced me to do push ups and I'm doing more on my toes than I ever thought I could and yet 6 months ago I could only do them on my knees...I can bang out 15 standard pushups on my toes no problem now...b/c I was determined! They are quite possibly the world's perfect exercise. We've all been there mama..you can do them if I can...I have really bad shoulder issues from a car accident!
  • Iceman1800
    Options
    Do one on your knees and keep doing sets of one until you get 10 total reps. Each day, try for that 2nd rep instead of stopping at one. Keep building up this way until you get 10 non stop reps on your knees. Then try extending further out almost to a plank position and try to do a rep.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a Smith machine at a gym? Set the bar at a height where you can knock out 12, then gradually lower it as you get stronger. You can also use a weight bench. This is how I started - now I can do the 3x12 on the ground :)
  • iRebel
    Options
    JUST KEEP TRYING! ChaLEAN Extreme and P90X have forced me to do push ups and I'm doing more on my toes than I ever thought I could and yet 6 months ago I could only do them on my knees...I can bang out 15 standard pushups on my toes no problem now...b/c I was determined! They are quite possibly the world's perfect exercise. We've all been there mama..you can do them if I can...I have really bad shoulder issues from a car accident!

Thanks! after i do 5 or so on my knees I start shaking.... my arms give out, pretty much. If I keep it up, I'll get stronger.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Planks are great! Pushups are just adding movement to the balance of planks!

To work up to doing a pushup, you want to build overall arm strength - so put together a combination of moves that will help stregthen them. If you have a gym do the circuits there on the machines. If not at home you can do any number of bodyweight exercises.

A good progression of *types* of pushups you can build up to :
    Wall pushups - Push off against a wall
    Elevated surface pushups- Find an elevated surface such as a low bench or chair, ideally something below your waist
    knee pushups
    'full; pushups

Once you are confidently into about 5 pushups, you can check out "Hundred Pushups.com" for a challenge. I started at 6 last summer and I'm up to 5 sets of anywhere from 25 to 36 pushups and about 40 if i go to exhaustion!
  • iRebel
    Options
    Do you have access to a Smith machine at a gym? Set the bar at a height where you can knock out 12, then gradually lower it as you get stronger. You can also use a weight bench. This is how I started - now I can do the 3x12 on the ground :)
    I have a multi gym, but not a Smith machine.