Peanut butter vs. other nut butters?

Options
I don't eat much peanut butter but I've seen and heard about other nut butters before and I wondered...Is there much difference? Is it a taste issue or are there benefits to other types of nut butters vs. PB, other than obvious ones like allergies...? I mean, you've got your regular PB and it's varieties, Sunflower seed butter, Almond butter, Nutella...is that even made with nuts? Phew! I never knew peanut butter issues could be so pressing! :laugh:

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I love PB, but it's incredibly high in sodium (at least the one we get). I recently switched to Nutella (which is made with hazelnuts), and the sodium is MUCH lower than regular PB. Plus... IT'S CHOCOLATEY!
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    calorie wise, there's not a whole lot of difference. i think the main thing is allergy issues. nutella does have nuts...hazelnuts....and a lot of sugar....but it is very good!!!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Loooove Nutella. For peanut butter I use naturally more peanut butter with flax seed and omega 3.. delicious, the 2 together are amazing! Since nutellas so sweet and the naturally more is lower in sugar (also the lowest calorie I've found) it's a really nice balance! I've been tempted to try the almond butter!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Loooove Nutella. For peanut butter I use naturally more peanut butter with flax seed and omega 3.. delicious, the 2 together are amazing! Since nutellas so sweet and the naturally more is lower in sugar (also the lowest calorie I've found) it's a really nice balance! I've been tempted to try the almond butter!

I use the naturally more too - it's almost like a less sweet version of a crunchy pnut butter with the flax in it...it's very peanutty. mmmmm.
  • sstrouse
    sstrouse Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have tried almond butter and think the taste is bland and horrible, plus its expensive where I'm at. not worht it.
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Thumbs up on Nutella but it's sweet...Less salt than regula pb though but sugary...

Thumbs up on the Naturally More with Flax...tastes extra peanutty...

Thumbs down on the almond butter...

How about sunflower seed butter? Anyone try that before? I just saw it for the first time the other day.
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options

I use the naturally more too - it's almost like a less sweet version of a crunchy pnut butter with the flax in it...it's very peanutty. mmmmm.

me three!! love Naturally More!!
  • melanieann48111
    Options

me three!! love Naturally More!!

That's IT! I'm buying Naturally More ASAP! :laugh:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Naturally More...absolutely LOVE that stuff!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I actually had naturally more for lunch with walden farms (I believe that's what that's the brand) strawberry spread.. no cals, no sugar, no fat, no cholesterol, no preservatives, for a sandwich! with apple slices I felt like I was 10 again! lol
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Options
    I actually really like almond butter, but I also usually have natural unsweetened PB...so if you like the unsweetened PB almond butter's okay :) Almond butter has a little less saturated fat and has more vitamin E. I usually have it with a banana or with jam on bread (with the sweeter jam you can't notice it's unsweetened!)
  • vanessadawn
    Options
    I agree with acureese I love almond butter, bit dryer but more robust in flavour so something a bit different. I don't normally eat much peanut butter or nut butters as they are high in calories, whereas I can get protein from other sources. But man I love the taste!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I've never even HEARD of this Naturally More brand. I MUST hunt it down on the next grocery trip.

EDIT: I just checked their website, and they don't sell it in my state. So sad :(
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    I've never even HEARD of this Naturally More brand. I MUST hunt it down on the next grocery trip.

EDIT: I just checked their website, and they don't sell it in my state. So sad :(

Luckily, they sell it at WalMart here in Michigan BUT you can order online from their website. Just an option.:drinker:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I eat it with naturally sweetened (juice only) Polenar Marmelade or Jelly. What a heavenly breakfast on some Nature's Own CInnamin Raison bread....:love:
  • jquintinjr
    Options
    better n' butter low sodium google it