Why does losing weight make me feel fat?

Options
Or is it just me? But i now weigh 147lbs, i'm 5ft 6in and so far i've lost just over 18lbs so I should be feeling good about myself - but I don't! :frown:
I look at myself and see all these areas of fat that seem to have got bigger & wobblier in my eyes - even though i'm exercising 5 times a week doing both strength & Cardio training. In clothes i look great, they fit better & I feel healthier but i've noticed that i've started to micro analyse every inch of my body - even bits i've never paid much attention to before (like knees - just in case you were wondering)! And I'm sure they all look worse than before or am i just blinded by my own ignorance & they looked completely horrendous before whereas I though they looked ok???

Has anyone else felt like this or am i being stupid?

Replies

• Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I was just having this very same discussion with my sister the last day. I'm way more unhappy with how I look now at a size 10 than I was when I was pushing a size 16 (irish sizes). I look fine in clothes although I think my legs are fat (never thought that before). Maybe it just takes a while to accept our new bodies. My husband seems to love the change anyway :tongue:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    We are always our own worst critics, be proud of yourself for what you've accomplished so far and try to be objective about the things you want to improve upon. Think in terms of overall health and fitness rather beating yourself up over things that may or may not be beyond your control.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I have noticed all these wobbly bits and am quite critiical of them, am sure they werent that 'bad' before. Which is correct of course as they held up by fat..... some of the fat I have now lost, which is why I need to exercise. So I try to look on that positive note and realise that I am losing inches and toning , for me, is likely to take a while, but I am gonna do it.

Its hard to get your head around how good you are now looking. You are doing great and you are doing the right things, it is just gonna take a while. Which is why we are all here.

Good luck x
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    at that weight you sound like you are already in great shape, maybe you just haven't got used to the improved you yet? the exercise will tone the flabby bits up, I know mine are diminishing and I'm a similar weight to you, my goal is 139 so i have a way to go yet but so far so good :)

keep up the good work, you will look TERRIFIC :-D
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    It's like Maslow's hierarchy of needs… we get our basic better health back.. and then we want to improve our muscle tone/ body firmness.

I am on that life long healthy lifestyle journey… like the cartoon character Flounder…Just keep moving….

PS.. just yesterday at lunch a co worker commented on how much better even my complexion was looking… little changes every day over the last 8 .5 months add up! Even at age 53, I am improving every day!
  • GwennyH
    GwennyH Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 9 lbs so far (out of 40 needed) and I already understand exactly what you're talking about... I feel the same way, but I basically chalk it up to just an increased awareness of what I actually look like... I don't think I cared to look closely before, whereas now I'm continually analyzing it and seeing myself more clearly every day, and yes, now I see clearly that I am fatter/unhealthier than I thought I was before...

At the same time, I counter it with focusing on how I "feel" now that I lost 9 lbs instead. And the truth is, set aside the visual flaws that I'm noticing much more now and I realize that I FEEL 10 times better already! Forget how I look, I move more quickly... the waddle in my butt cheeks is dwindling... I stand taller... I breathe easier... So forget the belly rolls that I didn't realize were so big before: I feel AWESOME! And I know the next 9 lbs will feel even better! If I just keep focusing on how I feel and make sure it's good!
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i notice when i lose weight that the fat seems to redistribute, and become more "wobbly" in places. But i also love the feeling after i do some lifting and feel the soreness because i know i'm doing something right. It'll fix itself, it just needs time :) good luck
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Things feel "wobbly" because you are lacking in muscle. Lift heavy weights and everything will be firm even though the scale might stay the same and you will probably still drop another size.

Think of it this way:
    Would you rather be 130, size 10, and still unhappy with some "soft parts"?
    Or would you prefer to be 135, size 8, and tight and sculpted?

Lifting heavy weight will give you the second.
    If you can get over the slightly higher number and love your awesome new body at 135 and size 8, then pick up heavy things...often...

If you are more concerned with a NUMBER only, and not the final result, and insist on getting to a lower number on the scale at all costs, even if it's a size 10 and still soft, then ignore what I said, there's no hope for you...:wink:
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I get it. I've lost 40#. When I went to buy new jeans this drove me nuts. My old pants were too big. I have about another 20 to go so I wanted my new pants to last a bit but I absolutely hate having a muffin top now:grumble: and yet at my largest I didn't really think about it and it was a jumbo muffin top:tongue:
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have days like that too. Now that I'm focusing on being in the best shape possible I over analyze and critique myself way too much. I was just telling my husband last night that when I was 100 pounds heavier I felt smaller than I do now sometimes! I think I was in total denial about how big I had gotten. Now that I have lost the weight I find myself picking apart all of my flaws that I'm sure no one else notices but me! Just keep doing what you're doing and it will all fall into place. You have come so far!
  • MDamoun
    MDamoun Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Things feel "wobbly" because you are lacking in muscle. Lift heavy weights and everything will be firm even though the scale might stay the same and you will probably still drop another size.

Think of it this way:
    Would you rather be 130, size 10, and still unhappy with some "soft parts"?
    Or would you prefer to be 135, size 8, and tight and sculpted?

Lifting heavy weight will give you the second.
    If you can get over the slightly higher number and love your awesome new body at 135 and size 8, then pick up heavy things...often...

If you are more concerned with a NUMBER only, and not the final result, and insist on getting to a lower number on the scale at all costs, even if it's a size 10 and still soft, then ignore what I said, there's no hope for you...:wink:

^^^

This - your body muscle needs stress and strain to sculpt itself.
  • georgie181
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean, I am just a few pounds heavier then you and I also ware a size ten. I feel huge and am constantly comparing myself, more then I ever have!!! I do not execpt my new self, I know this because when shopping I still pick up size 14's!!! LOL. I don't even enjoy clothes shopping and I thought I would love it. every now and again I am at the gym in 1 of my classes and I catch a glimse of myself in the mirror and think oh actually I don't look too bad.....