How 'nutritious' is haggis?!

Options
2»

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Every once in a while I'll cook up a batch of scotch eggs. Dust them with some BBQ rub and toss them on the smoker for about 2 hours over some apple wood. Yummy goodness. It's a high protein treat.

I've had haggis once. I was in Scotland and I decided to give it a shot. I asked my English friend what it was exactly. He smiled and said, "It's a traditional Scottish dish". OK no real answer. When the waiter arrived I asked him about describing haggis. He smiled and said, "It's a traditional Scottish dish". I ordered it anyway. Ate it. It was fine, didn't kill me. I thought it was funny that they all used the same line when asked to describe the dish. The next time someone describes a dish as "traditional" without offering up any other details - I'll think I'll pass.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yes you can get vegetarian haggis too, though you need to hunt a bit for it.
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Definitely staying away from the scotch egg (that's a hard-boiled egg with a sausage patty wrapped around it, battered and deep-fried, served sliced over a southern-style biscuit covered with a ladle of sausage gravy). No humongous strawberry shortcake, no fried dough, no shortbread cookies - but I still want my haggis with a nice Scottish ale to wash it down.

i need to find a scottish festival because that stuff sounds AMAZING!
  • PapaDunx
    Options
    Haggis is the food of gods!! It is divine. If its made properly and getting it from local farm stores gives you beautiful recipes.
    It is sheep's pluck (liver, lungs, heart); minced with onion, oatmeal, suet cooked in a sheep's stomach by slow-boiling it for hours.

It is served with Tatties and Neeps (Potatoes and turnips)

I have had it for breakfast in some big Scottish hotels, but as my grandfather is a Scot, 25th January is a celebration day.
  • DocCollins_SFA
    Options
    I loved reading through all of this just because of the cultural differences! Being from America I knew exactly what she was talking about but I can imagine being from the UK or something and being completely confused. I for one, had no idea what haggis was until I read about it here so thanks for that :) BTW, I love our American biscuits, especially covered in sausage gravy!
  • blondiedawnie
    blondiedawnie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey :)

I dunno if anyone that answered ure question was scottish?? BUT im scottish i live on the west coast of Scotland and i can tell you haggis is packed with lard or suet :) Doesnt deter me from cooking with it or eating it :) Its delicious. Haggis pakora yummmmm :) Its not only only served up with neeps and tatties ;) Maybe at one time is was a cheap filling meal but now gourmet chefs cook with it and make wonderful stuff with it.... Eat it just dont eat LOADS lol i think ure entitled to enjoy ureself :) As for scotch eggs umm i dont think there a scottish thing you can pretty much get them anywhere...

Have fun xx
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    Probably too late to be helpful, but in answer to the original question, I checked out some packs of haggis in the supermarket this afternoon.

Nutritional info (per 100g):

Calories 250
    Fat 17g, of which only 6g is saturates
    Protein 10g
    Carbs 20g
    Fibre 3g
    Sodium 0.7g

What was interesting was the variation in proportions of ingredients between the brands - the cheap ones tended to have fat as the second or third ingredient, in the better ones it was one of the last. (Don't know about other countries but here the first ingredient is the biggest quantity, the last is the smallest).

Anyway, thanks to this thread reminding me how good it is, I bought some for my dinner. Thank you OP! :drinker:
  • Kittenbit
    Kittenbit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    And Eccles cakes are welsh so not really appropriate for a Scottish themed event but, hey, it sounds like lots of fun.

I love veggie haggis. It's still high ish in fat but a small amount is really filling, so tasty.