excersie with back problems

Options
hi just wondering if anyone has some ideas for cardio exercise with lower back pain? did something to my back at work this morning and want to keep doing something rather than rest.

Replies

• NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    HEY THERE
    callenetics was an exercise system made for people with back problems. callen pickney damaged her back so she invented callenetics...they now have a aerobic dvd too...may be worth a shot. also swimming is perfect as your whole body is supported by the water .good luck
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    i have a messed up back. for years i just sat by waiting for something to help it get better and it never did. so i started working out again any how. martial arts, walking etc.. i started with gym.. there are a lot of exercises that you can do sitting down or laying down. as mentioned before swimming is great for pain issues and weakness plus u can burn a ton of calories swimming.
  • MamaWalkingBear
    MamaWalkingBear Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I herniated a disc in my lower back almost two years ago, with loss of feeling in one leg and ongoing sciatica issues. I also have three additional bulging ones. I've learned to do cardio while sitting, moving my legs, just like the videos I have. I've been doing a chair version of zumba since found out about it after herniating the disc. I also do strength PT with bands. I ice after I work out to help reduce inflamation.

So far so good. I'm still losing weight. :)

Good luck!!
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    For short term, if it doesn't hurt I suggest getting on an exercise bike. Just keep moving in some way or another until it eases, remember to use heat packs and have hot baths as its possibly just a muscular spasm.

Long term, I have Spondylolithesis (a spinal fracture) but manage everyday activities and can run / lift weights etc... so anything is possible.