Appetite Suppressants?

Options
Appetite Suppressants--anyone take them? I'm not a big fan of "diet supplements" but I've heard a lot of people talking about natural appetite suppressants really helping them keep the snacking in check. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I'd stay away. Just because someone slaps "Natural" on a label doesn't automatically make it better for you. Besides, you are only trying to lose 5 lbs, so if your deficit is set up properly, your calorie restriction shouldn't be much different than normal - like cutting out a cookie or coke every day.
  • roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Don't bother. Most of the time they don't work. If you eat at least 5 times a day (3 main meals and 2 snacks) you shouldn't need appetite suppressents.
  • mskittenheels
    mskittenheels Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i have never found one that actually works, i tried to get that alli from my pharmacist as someone i know lost over a stone with them but he wouldnt let me have them.

i also tried that Adios from boots but i dont rate that either, probably best to just stick to what you are doing now and save the money you would have spent on them.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that there are so many out there, relatively cheap, and they keep coming up with new ones proves they don't work. If they worked, they'd be a million bucks, everyone would be thin, and they'd be harder to come by. There is really no pill that makes weight loss work........diet, exercise, persistence. That's all really.
  • BreeNJesse
    BreeNJesse Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Time your meals and mid meals out to every 3 hours, train your body, it may take a couple of weeks but it will happen and you will learn to eat when you're hungry, not out of boredom. That stuff doesn't work!
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My own natural appetite suppressant is tea with a splash of milk )) idk, works for me. So far.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that there are so many out there, relatively cheap, and they keep coming up with new ones proves they don't work. If they worked, they'd be a million bucks, everyone would be thin, and they'd be harder to come by. There is really no pill that makes weight loss work........diet, exercise, persistence. That's all really.

lol good point!!!
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Keep off diet suppressants - my doctor tried them on me once - no use, I didn't need appetite suppressants, I needed GREED SUPPRESSANTS. or motivation.

The best appetite suppressant is exercise

The most effective appetite suppressant is a cigarette, but that most definitely is not the 'best'
  • deeznutz777
    deeznutz777 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    nope, i dont use them. I try to get all my nutrients the old fashioned way, by eating!!! Those vitamin and supplement companies are just trying to make a buck. Dont waste your money!
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The best appetite suppressant is exercise
    ^This!
    The most effective appetite suppressant is a cigarette
    did not work that way for me )) probably why I did not gain weight when quit smoking.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Appetite Suppressants NEVER worked for me...It wasn't until i changed my eating habits (ie avoided processed food) that my voracious appetite went away.
  • misswager
    misswager Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    your body has its own appetite suppressant called leptin, stay away from additional suppressants
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    All the appetite suppressants that really work are serious medication and have serious side effect risk. These risks include cardiovascular risks, irreversible tissue damage, endocrine modification and are not worth it, IMHO. The "natural" packaged ones are so much snake oil and do not work more than water, wasabi, coffee or flaxseeds (all which do work, just a little bit). Why am I saying this? I work in pharma, I know a little bit.

My suggestion is that one should eat real food -- you can fill yourself to the brim with small portions of lots of tasty stuff -- feel free to look at my diary - I usually eat 30-40 items per day, mostly avoiding a lot of high cal processed food (I do eat a limited amount of processed food but stick to lower cal stuff).
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    If you read online about many of those Appetite Suppressants, you'd not want to ever buy one. Many hit your stomach and expand...much like a foam. That can't be good for you and what happens if it doesn't make it all the way down.? Does it expand in your throat? I just can't take a chance...
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If you read online about many of those Appetite Suppressants, you'd not want to ever buy one. Many hit your stomach and expand...much like a foam. That can't be good for you and what happens if it doesn't make it all the way down.? Does it expand in your throat? I just can't take a chance...

Blimey! Sounds like the stuff they put round my windows !! Scarey thought!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    caffiene is the main ingredient in most over the counter appetite suppressants. Drink good coffee. Learn to love it strong and black
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Eat porridge, it keeps you full for ages :) x
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Swisse brand of them are made totally natural.... that's the whole point of their brand. They work brilliantly. I love the scare tactics of some in here lol.... expand in your throat..... :-/ really?

Try the brand if you can. I'm betting some need to try the same bran but take their mood tablets.... might get rid of the anxiety.

Hardly anything to be scared of....catcus..... hmmmmmmmmmmmm yep run for the hills. Such a stimulant
  • bigknight78
    Options
    Most appetite suppressants are mild stimulants, which if used for pro-longed periods fry your Central Nervous System (CNS), which produces cortisol, a stress hormone that will stop any progress you are trying to make.

Best thing to do is make sure that if you are hungry you make better choices with your food/snacks. Is snacking on some fruit going to cause you pile on the weight? Probably not :-)