Turkey Bacon?

Options
Is Turkey Bacon OK to eat? The nutritional breakdown is great, but look at all the other stuff in it.

ingredients: TURKEY, WATER, SALT, SUGAR, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM LACTATE, CANOLA OIL, SODIUM DIACETATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATES, SMOKE FLAVOR, SODIUM ASCORBATE, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, SODIUM NITRITE, DEXTROSE, SOY LECITHIN. CONTAINS: SOY

Replies

• sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    sodium lactate is flavoring for saltiness
    Sodium diacetate is a flavoring additive for salty flavor and vinegar flavor
    sodium phoshates are used as a preservative
    sodium ascorbate is a preservative and has been shown to be a anti carcenogen
    sodium nitrite is a preservative and safer than sodium nitrate
    dextrose is for sweetness
    soy lecithin is used for the oil factor in the bacon.

Overall turkey bacon is healthier than pork bacon due to nearly zero saturated fats. I have it occasionally and limit myself to 2 slices at a time.
  • AsaraFuriosa
    AsaraFuriosa Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation! Turkey bacon is awesome! Just don't go eating a pound of it everyday ;-)
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    The nitrate free turkey bacon from Trader Joe's is yum. I like it more than bacon.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    its NOT bacon and should not have the name bacon. It is processed junk made into strips that resemble the real bacon. There is nothing wrong with the fat in real bacon.

Eat for taste and get real.

Turkey bacon should be shot on site.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    this is just me I would not touch it with a 10 foot poll, way too much crap in it. Its more chemicals than food! But to each his own I guess
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    If you compare to regular bacon you are better off with regular bacon. Just not a lot of it. Just like turkey burgers, they are NO better than regular hamburger for you. (I know, I was surprised too!)
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    its NOT bacon and should not have the name bacon. It is processed junk made into strips that resemble the real bacon. There is nothing wrong with the fat in real bacon.

Turkey bacon is a gift from G-d to his followers who can't eat pork.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options

Turkey "bacon" should be shot on site.

Ha ha you stiill called it bacon....

To the OP Turkey Bacon is a better choice over Pork bacon....

AND like a lot of foods you should eat in moderation because of the sodium nitrite and nitrate....HOWEVER

You can find Turkey Bacon without the Sodium Nitrite or Nitrate and no by products...

So to all the Turkey Bacon haters ......don't even try it.
  • EyeLikeTacos
    EyeLikeTacos Posts: 324 Member
    Options

:drinker: Heck yea!
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone get the app "Fooducate" and zap the bar code! It's an enlightening application that not only gives you a "grade" on the food you are zapping, but lists healthier alternatives (if any) plus a break down of some warnings about said food and what you should be paying attention to. Of course, it does share things you may not have wanted to know, like how a certain flatbread uses duck feathers and/or human hair as preservatives. =S gack.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon (per slice) - Calories 35-Fat 3-Protein 2- Sodium 180
    Pork bacon (per slice)- Calories 42-Fat 3-Protein 3- Sodium 192

I think I'll take real bacon FTW (If you are that worried about 7 more calories then by all means eat the turkey)
  • jwh225
    jwh225 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Is Turkey Bacon OK to eat? The nutritional breakdown is great, but look at all the other stuff in it.

ingredients: TURKEY, WATER, SALT, SUGAR, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM LACTATE, CANOLA OIL, SODIUM DIACETATE, SODIUM PHOSPHATES, SMOKE FLAVOR, SODIUM ASCORBATE, AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, SODIUM NITRITE, DEXTROSE, SOY LECITHIN. CONTAINS: SOY

Thanks all who responded. I think I'll stick to regular bacon.
  • JlenniferL
    JlenniferL Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I buy 98% ham. The ham is about 40 calories per ounce. We use it for breakfast sandwiches, work sandwiches and in our salads.
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

^^^True that!
  • fueledbychange
    fueledbychange Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It's ok, just like normal bacon is ok. Everything in moderation, right? The only reason I would prefer to eat turkey bacon over normal bacon is because I don't eat red meat. If you do eat red meat though, you'd be better off with normal bacon. Unless you like the taste better, I guess. Just don't over do it, that's all!
  • mrsyee313
    mrsyee313 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try center cut bacon. Same nutrition as turkey bacon, but really tasty. It's a little pricier than regular bacon though.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I get whatever is on sale bacon here is so expensive
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon (per slice) - Calories 35-Fat 3-Protein 2- Sodium 180
    Pork bacon (per slice)- Calories 42-Fat 3-Protein 3- Sodium 192

I think I'll take real bacon FTW (If you are that worried about 7 more calories then by all means eat the turkey)

Yessss!! Unless you don't eat pork for religious reasons, just eat regular bacon!! It's friggin' delicious!!
  • dbevisjr
    Options
    I buy Applegate Naturals turkey bacon. Ingredients: turkey, water, less than 2% of sea salt, celery powder, maple sugar, onion powder, spices. That's it. No casein, no gluten, no antibiotics, no animal byproducts, no nitrites, no nitrates. Made from whole thigh meat and retains the meat texture. NOT pulverized into powdered turkey scraps and pressed into a slab like most turkey bacon.

Per slice (about 1oz)
    Cals- 35
    Total Fat- 1.5g
    Cholesterol- 25mg
    Sodium- 200mg
    Protein- 6g
    Carbs- none
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options

I LOVE YOU

um, I will accept that as one of those really platonic 'in general' like we should love our neighbor type of things, cause in that profile pic, i'm not the girl. But somebody had to say it.