Waking up EARLY to workout?

Options
Lately I've been struggling with actually getting up early to workout. By 'early' I mean waking up anytime before 7am. I just have the hardest time actually opening my eyes and getting out of bed to do it. I think I am the type of person that requires a lot of sleep because I have VERY busy and active days so when I try to wake myself up before 7am, it just usually doesn't happen because I still feel like I need to sleep more.

Anyone have any suggestions for me to get out of bed? Any tricks you've tried? I have considered leaving my alarm in my bathroom so I have to get up to turn it off...?

PS - I know before 7am is not EARLY for most of you but for me it is because my typical workday either starts at 9 or 11am, so I don't really wind down until 11:30 or midnight.

Replies

• lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Go to bed much earlier is the only way; you need your rest
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I have to get up at 6:30 for work but my body's natural rhythm likes to get up around 7:30 so I would be interested in hearing some tips too...
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I used to think I wasn't a morning person. Then I started going to bed earlier. Now I get up at 5am and leave for work at 7am.
  • zingaravh
    Options
    I started putting my phone on the highest volume, setting the alarm and putting it in the hallway outside the bedroom. I find that if I have to get up and look for it to turn it off, it wakes me up a bit and then it's easier to stay out of bed.
  • Girl_du_jour
    Girl_du_jour Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Daylight helps me wake up. I read it's a much better way to wake yourself up. In summer it's fine to leave the curtains open, but in winter you can use a special light alarm - try googling Natural Light Alarm Clock.

I know it's tricky to wind down and feel like you have enough time in the evenings, but sometimes you have to. I have to leave for work at 7 and I often don't get home til late, then stay up late just to feel like I've had some time to myself, which makes me really tired byt he end of the week. At first it does feel like you're cheating yourself but I found that if you go to bed early just one night per week (say mid week) it really makes a massive difference in your energy levels and you can still have downtime on the other nights.
  • robin820
    robin820 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Its like everything else, it takes time. Start getting up 15 minutes earlier then the day before, for a few days and each day after a little earlier. You have to train your body, just like anything else. It does get easier, until you sleep in one. I get up at 5:00am to do my workout before the rest of the family gets up at 6:00.It feels great to get it out of the way for the day, then sometimes I have extra energy at the end of the day for a walk. Goo dluck, it takes time! :O)
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 and workout before my 12 hour shift. I find it's easier to do if I get to bet earlier (and I've worked out, so I'm tired) and make it a habit. It's hard the first few days, but if I push through, I find it easier.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I haaaaaaate getting up early. I work from 10:30 - 7:00 every day, and I'm never up before 9:00. (Today is my early shift. Boo.) Since I have more energy in the evening, I work out after work. I don't wait too long, though, since I need time to shower and get sleepy. I usually work out after dinner, a few hours before I go to bed.
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Maybe you aren't meant to exercise in the morning. Is it hard for you to exercise later in the day? If it isn't hard to fit exercise in during the day, then stick with what is working.
    If you really want to try and make it work in the morning. Try just doing 15 minutes earlier at first until you get accustomed to it. Then maybe in a month try 15 more minutes.
    I get up at 5:30 every morning during the week, and get exercise in. Now, I don't feel right when I don't exercise in the morning.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Do you need to exercise in the morning? Perhaps another time of day will work better for you.
  • mattsdad1961
    mattsdad1961 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    A couple of points might be worth considering...I found the only time I could make exercise "fit" into my schedule was to hit the gym before I start work at 8AM. Otherwise, other priorities (son's homework help, laundry, mowing the lawn, an extra hour on that *hot* work project, ect) overtook my committment to myself. I also found that by starting my day with a good workout, I was able to wind down earlier so I could still get a minimum of 7 hours of GOOD sleep because I'd developed beneficial hormonal rythms. For me, I found I really need to stop fighting the idea that my health is as important (maybe more so, but I'm not at that point yet) as my relationship with my wife or my responsibilities to my 14 year old, or my responsibility at my firm or anything else. I'm worth my committment to me. I'm a long way from my ulimate goals, but I've got a plan, I've got committment and I've got support from my fitness pal friends.

Not every person can be up at 4:30AM...some people's rythms are different. I have heard that exercise right before bed inhibits sleep, but maybe that's the only time some folks can do. I'm not sure if I'm offering anything helpful, other than my opinion - but this is what works for me.

One fo my favoriite post-it notes to myself (stole it from a friend on the web) "I'm not promising it will be easy, I'm promising it will be worth it!"

Best wishes to you for all the success you deserve!
  • hello50s
    Options
    Wow, sounds like I wrote your post LOL

I get up at 5am (maybe a bit earlier than you but before 7am none-the-less) I work out at about 6-6:30 and do weights as well. I wind down about 11-11:30 most nights (my own fault, I get into bed and want to watch a movie, well I start to, to relax after the day).

There are days I struggle to get up. I have an hour drive to work three days a week and I have to be there for 8:30, and with 3 kids and a dog to boot, it is a struggle to get everything done and out the door.

I find if I get all the lunches, clothes prepared, etc done at night, set my coffee to automatic so it`s ready at 5am and then try not to hit snooze, I can usually do it. Now that the fall is settling in, it gets harder to get out of bed. The idea that I will miss my workout usually gets me out of bed. I do a different machine alternate days, listen to music I love, and that usually motivates me.

I like the idea of going to bed early one night. That really helps me. High volume on alarm clock is good too. I drink a lot of water before bed and that gets me up too :)

Good on you for trying to workout first thing though. I find it sets the tone for the day.
  • daizy1080
    daizy1080 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I went to bed early because I also require an obsene amount of sleep. I woke up yesterday at 5:30 in order to get my workout in before I had to get my daughter off to school. Yes I was tired at first but after I started moving I felt better. I also ate a little something first so I wasnt moving and grooving on an empty stomach. I felt like I had so much more energy than I usually do, to get through my day. :)
  • StudioMaid
    StudioMaid Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I work out four times a day 30 minutes each. I try to do my first one by 9 am then by noon (just before lunch) then around 4:30 and the last one by 7 pm. I don't work right now so this works best for me. :smile:
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Wear your workout clothes to be. All you have to do is get up and put on your shoes and you are ready to go. Other than that getting to bed earlier and prepping your day before you go to bed are very helpful. I am up between 4 and 4:30 a to feed the dog so that she can digest before we head our running at 5am... Now MY bladder is so well trained I always wake up at that time 7 days a week.
  • mustikas6
    mustikas6 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That's really early! How many hours on average you get to sleep?
  • D3vAnge1
    D3vAnge1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I agree with several of these posts. Had one heck of a time getting moving in the AM; however, I made it a habit of setting the alarm for 0430 every day & weighing myself (thus making it a habit to empty my bladder) at this time as well. It took a few wks (roughly 3), but since, no matter what time I turn in at night (rarely before 2300) I wake up (with or without alarm) nlt 0530.

Everything comes in time. Don't put too much stress into it, just keep it consistent...iow, keep it up 7 days/wk, not just on work days. Granted you will have a day or two when you really want to sleep in, but stick with the routine you desire to keep for the most part. After you weigh, wash up, eat, workout or drink your coffee, if you want to lay back down for a spell--go for it!
  • LuxHappens
    LuxHappens Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Gulping down VERY cold water will wake you up right away! Try it.

I also find that I feel much more motivated throughout the day once my workout is over with. If you can stick to it for just a couple of days, you will see what I mean. (I am also struggling with getting up early to work out but hate coming home after work to the obligation.)

Since we are friends, I can help you stay accountable! Let's do this!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I just gave up. lol. I prefer working out at night. Working out before bed makes me sleep better, too.
  • Williamj
    Williamj Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've found out over time that by working out in the morning it gives me energy for the rest of the day, and working out after work just feels like a half *kitten*'d workout.

Also I make a mean cup of coffee, which is the first thing I do after waking up.