Good... Morning? Or Would It Be Night?

Options
Well... I originally hadn't planned on using the forums here at all, but it's 2:40 am and I'm looking for an excuse not to go to bed immediately. So, yea! Hello! I just joined this site day before yesterday. Erm, no. Guess that would be the day before given the time. Regardless, I'd like to give a few cheers for everyone who's pushing towards their goals and I hope you all find power in your successes. I'd also like to congratulate those who have completed said goals and/or will do so soon! Whether it's ten pounds or one hundred, body or spirit, I offer my wholehearted support. :drinker:

Oh, right. This is supposed to be an introduction. Um... My name is Luna and it's a pleasure to meet you all! I have absolutely no idea what to say about myself though. I like cats and crafting, I have a degree in Psychology... And I should probably say that I joined this site aiming to improve my health. Weight loss itself isn't as important to me, but I do know that being overweight is adding to my problems. I've been forced into what's basically a starvation diet for about six years now, mostly eating one large meal around ten pm or so. My lifestyle is relatively sedate in terms of activity due to old injuries and my vitamin intake is very low. In other words, my metabolism is slow and my body hoards everything it can. Ironically, I find myself needing to eat -more- in order to lose weight. The hardest part will probably be finding healthy foods though since I'm a super taster. Bitter veggiebles, how my tongue and tummy dread you. :sick:

Replies

• Chicoryflower
    Chicoryflower Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello, welcome! why do you only eat one large meal at 10pm?
  • KaeNight
    KaeNight Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    :happy: Thank you for the welcome! My father has compared me to my mother since middle school. She, of course, is 4'11" and very lightly built, so her normal weight averages around 100lbs. He's been so criticizing of me since though that I felt forced to eat while he wasn't around. In other words, while he's asleep. It's the only time I feel comfortable eating, but by that time I'm also REALLY hungry. Good news of living that way is I don't have to listen to him telling me I should drink one diet shake a day for three months to "start" the weight loss process. Bad news is I'm slowly fading away by my own hands. :brokenheart:
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Hi, I think if you open your diary then it will be easier to provide you with positive comments by fellow MFpers
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Hi, I think if you open your diary then it will be easier to provide you with positive comments by fellow MFpers
    I definitely agree.
    Also, hello! I love your name. :smile: Welcome to MFP and the forums. There's plenty of supportive people, but there's also a LOT of negative people on here, to tend to do nothing but bash others. I hope you learn a few things here, and gain more confidence to eat more than a meal a day. In the long run, your body with thank you (and in the short run, too).
  • Got2BMini
    Options
    It's still night here, I'm a nurse and get off work at 6 am, another 30 min's. It's hard to keep from snacking during the night! snack machines on every floor!
  • LupaNera
    Options
    Hi, welcome!
    I saw that you are 25 years old and I think that it is the right moment to start to care for yourself (the same was for me, when i was your age just something clicked).
    It is not easy to overcome parents relationship problems, I'm still fighting mine but it is a big step you did here, wanting to care for your health and loving yourself. Often parents just are unable to understand that they are hurting us.
    I still thin that if I ever get to have my own kids I will just try to be better than my parents were.
    You need just to learn how to be free to make your own choices. From my experience the relationship with parents simply can't get worse than already is. Actually it could improve.
  • KaeNight
    Options

I'm actually -really- nervous about doing that right away, partially because of what Daisy said with some people being hyper critical. Not only against me, but also against themselves. At base line though, there are three big reasons:

1) Time stamps. To me breakfast means "breaking the fast" rather than "a morning meal". So if my first meal of the day is going to a restaurant at 5pm, I will list that as breakfast. I have no doubts that a number of people are going to get on my case for things like that, but it's not something I can change suddenly. I'm used to my breakfast and dinner being the same meal well after sunset. Even just breaking things into two meals takes some work.
    2) I'm what's considered a super taster. This makes eating healthy foods very, very hard for me because of how intensely bitter green veggiebles and citrus fruits are. I've had a primarily Carb based diet for both the easy energy and the bland taste, which is... Pretty bad for me. Finding new foods that I can actually eat without having the luxury of my own kitchen will take time. I'm hoping to start speeding up my metabolism and cure the anemia by making my body get the same benefits from Protein that it did from Carbs. Anyone who's trying to live on smoothies is probably going to cry at seeing meats on my list and I definitely don't want others feeling down on themselves just because our bodies require different things.
    3) Caloric intake. In the past three days of recording my foods, I've noticed that I have to eat -more- to reach the minimum Cals. On average I'd be stuck between 900 and 1100 Cals, so I'd have to go sifting through the fridge to find something extra. For me, this is pretty critical to ensure that my body can function better. For someone who's trying to cut back, this is probably really frustrating. Not everything I eat right now is healthy specifically because I'm trying to pick up those missing Cals.

In the end, I feel like I should even out a bit first so I don't have a bunch of people asking questions every day. If nothing else, get a better handle on necessary vitamins and find some sort of stability in what will hopefully be new eating habits. Give me a week or two first, please. Then I'll think about opening up a little more. :smile:
  • KaeNight
    Options
    I love your name. :smile: Welcome to MFP and the forums. There's plenty of supportive people, but there's also a LOT of negative people on here, to tend to do nothing but bash others. I hope you learn a few things here, and gain more confidence to eat more than a meal a day. In the long run, your body with thank you (and in the short run, too).

Thank you very much! :smile: I'm really glad that there are a lot of supportive people here. It's something new and also a little exciting. I expect to see the other side at some point too, but hopefully that expectation will help me deal with the disappointment better. It can't get too much worse, yea? I've only been here for three days, but there's a lot I've already learned: Vitamins are amazing, my potassium levels are almost non-existent, my sodium and water intake is scary at best... Some of these lessons are pretty strict! :indifferent:

The good news is, that short term "thank you" has already started. On day two I had more energy than I've had in what's probably been months. There's a good chance that it'll be a quick burst to compensate for the sudden change, but I'm hoping it'll last. I'd really like to be more active so I can actually do things again!
  • KaeNight
    Options
    Hi, welcome!
    I saw that you are 25 years old and I think that it is the right moment to start to care for yourself (the same was for me, when i was your age just something clicked).
    It is not easy to overcome parents relationship problems, I'm still fighting mine but it is a big step you did here, wanting to care for your health and loving yourself. Often parents just are unable to understand that they are hurting us.
    I still thin that if I ever get to have my own kids I will just try to be better than my parents were.
    You need just to learn how to be free to make your own choices. From my experience the relationship with parents simply can't get worse than already is. Actually it could improve.

Thank you for the welcome! I'm still fighting mine here too, but that's a big part of it. If I can build up my energy, than I'm sure I can walk farther away from the constant complaints. My father and I get along best when we barely talk to each other, even if he is trying to give me that "better life". Part of his issue is that he believes everyone should be, and in some ways are, just like him. So when he started his "health" streak, he expected everyone to go through the same no food diet in order to get the same results - more so if they wanted better results. A lot of parents are like that and it's probably based on the time period they grew up in. They don't feel they're hurting the children because they forced themselves through a fair bit too, and that by forcing their children though even -more- they produce something of greater value. Kinda like tossing a rock into a box of sand and seeing how long you have to shake it before you get a diamond. Then again, I could be hypothesizing too much!

Anyway, I digress. Making your own choices is something I've taught to a lot of other people, but haven't had the pleasure of doing much myself. In a way it's kind of scary to think about. However, like you and many others on this site, I'm starting off by choosing to become stronger in both body and spirit. I look forward to seeing the change in everyone around me and, perhaps most importantly, in myself.
  • pmontague415
    Options
    Please feel free to add me... I wont be judgmental and that's a promise! I know all about eating the one huge meal a day.. i used to do it as well. i'd even mark my first meal of the day (sometimes it being 4pm) as breakfast. we can support each other throughout this process!