Advice needed from you guys

Options
So I've seriously never had a boyfriend and considering I'm 19 it's a pretty sad life haha I always get told to be myself and I'll find the "right one". I couldn't care less if he is "the One" right now, I have the rest of my life to figure that one out. But I don't even have many guy friends who would be willing to answer this one for me. I'm not a regular girl, I love my xbox, am currently working my way through the original stargate series considering I finished Atlantis a while ago, own skyrim, Halo and am about to go buy Left 4 Dead. Is this all a complete turn off? I usually don't talk about what I do in my spare time because all my girlfriends either watch make-up videos on youtube or gossip girl and are hell girly. I like that stuff too but not 24/7. So I guess my question is, should I really be myself when around guys my own age or keep this stuff to myself and just get drunk and hook up with randoms like my friends seem to enjoy?

Replies

• philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    You do what works for you! Guys may not know you're available without being in social settings. Talk to people. Random hookup with guys is NOT the answer, just a good way to get yourself in trouble.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Just be yourself.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    So I've seriously never had a boyfriend and considering I'm 19 it's a pretty sad life haha I always get told to be myself and I'll find the "right one". I couldn't care less if he is "the One" right now, I have the rest of my life to figure that one out. But I don't even have many guy friends who would be willing to answer this one for me. I'm not a regular girl, I love my xbox, am currently working my way through the original stargate series considering I finished Atlantis a while ago, own skyrim, Halo and am about to go buy Left 4 Dead. Is this all a complete turn off? I usually don't talk about what I do in my spare time because all my girlfriends either watch make-up videos on youtube or gossip girl and are hell girly. I like that stuff too but not 24/7. So I guess my question is, should I really be myself when around guys my own age or keep this stuff to myself and just get drunk and hook up with randoms like my friends seem to enjoy?

There's plenty of single guys out there that would love to find a beautiful girl like you with your love and passion for gaming. At your age I too was into video games, sci-fi stuff and disliked going out drinking, the bar scene etc etc. I would have loved to have found a girl that was into what I was into. Don't change for others. Be yourself.

Also just incase you haven't found it, MFP groups that may interest you.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3566-the-geek-squid
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/19-mfp-gamers

p.s. join us, we have cookies >.>
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Just continue to be yourself, you will find Mr. Right Now and Mr. Right Forever by doing that. The right guy is going to have similar interests as you and he is going to want a girl that he can hang out. Not having had a boyfriend at 19 is not a sad life. I never had a boyfriend until I was in college and even then my longest relationship until I met my husband was 4.5 months. I can tell you from experience that hooking up with random guys might make you happy for that night and maybe a day or two afterwards but in the long run you will just be wondering why none of these guys stick around. My advice is to do what makes you happy and the boyfriend that you are looking for will appear, just don't waste your life waiting on him.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    My son, 28, is looking for a woman who likes to game. He is unable to work, so spends lots of time gaming, and wants someone he can talk to about it. So just be yourself. And don't do the hook up thing. It shows you don't care about yourself and it will make you feel worse about yourself. Better to be strong in who you are and wait for the right one.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Left 4 Dead is an awesome game...

If you have to change who you are for someone to notice, there's really no point in them noticing you... it is no foundation for a relationship. Never pretend you're someone you're not.

I don't know what works for guys :P not my sort ha

I'm sure there are loads of gamer guys out there looking for a gamer girl who gives a crap about what they're talking about!
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Just be yourself.

This ^^^
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Sound pretty awesome to me. A gamer chick is one of those rare treasures you can spend your life searching for :D
  • brookjodie
    brookjodie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Um, you sound like you would be a great catch to any gamer guy.... But, since you are obviously a gamer girl you might not be socializing enough to meet a great guy. Let your friends set you up with someone and be yourself always. Oh and don't settle for someone that wastes your time because you look beautiful in your picture and deserve to find someone that deserves you. Good luck!
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    TIP: Hang around the science departments at your Uni-lots of gamers there and few girls.
    (BTW-Where were you when my son was 19? Too bad...)
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    This seems like a silly question... I can't even take this seriously...
    Obviously guys don't care about girly crap...

Do you honestly think that guys like you for youtubing make up videos?
    Or would they rather a girl they could have fun with playing videogames with?
  • Aquarian
    Aquarian Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Having boyfriends or being girly is in no way superior to being a rock-star gamer! Be yourself, and don't let your friends influence you into being somebody else. I know several guys who are into gaming, and I am sure that your interests won't be a turn off for the right guys. Being with wrong guys just for the sake of having somebody is just the beginning of lots of needless agony.

Enjoy your freedom, girl!
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    The guys that are interested in you are probably very shy heh.
    I love me a gamer nerd. You just have to let them see past your pretty looks (which can be very intimidating for many men) that you are a genuine girl gamer. If you aren't already headsetting DOOO IIIITTTT.
    I know people that have met over games and are happily married. My partner also met his best friend online and they used to live together.
    Hang out in gaming stores and get to know people, go to LAN hook ups and stuff. Ya know... where the guys who can appreciate your LEET skills are. And trust me, nerd boys can be very hot.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I wish I could introduce you to my son he is a 19yr old Sophmore at Purdue and he is into gaming and working out. seems like a good match.
  • rdyne1
    Options
    TIP: Hang around the science departments at your Uni-lots of gamers there and few girls.
    (BTW-Where were you when my son was 19? Too bad...)

haha I never thought of that! Great idea, less competition :p
  • rdyne1
    Options
    I wish I could introduce you to my son he is a 19yr old Sophmore at Purdue and he is into gaming and working out. seems like a good match.

haha sounds good to me! Unfortunately I do reside in Australia :( and my guess would be you guys are American
  • rdyne1
    Options
    The guys that are interested in you are probably very shy heh.
    I love me a gamer nerd. You just have to let them see past your pretty looks (which can be very intimidating for many men) that you are a genuine girl gamer. If you aren't already headsetting DOOO IIIITTTT.
    I know people that have met over games and are happily married. My partner also met his best friend online and they used to live together.
    Hang out in gaming stores and get to know people, go to LAN hook ups and stuff. Ya know... where the guys who can appreciate your LEET skills are. And trust me, nerd boys can be very hot.

Yeah see I thought about headsetting after I played COD at a mates house, well, technically it was her brothers, and from what i can tell they love having girls around but can't stand it when they lose because of them... haha
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    you are going to be a godsend when a lonely nerd gets the nerve to talk to you..
  • rdyne1
    Options
    This seems like a silly question... I can't even take this seriously...
    Obviously guys don't care about girly crap...

Do you honestly think that guys like you for youtubing make up videos?
    Or would they rather a girl they could have fun with playing videogames with?

This super adorable guy at my work, who is also unfortunately very conceited, made a face when I mentioned that I played Skyrim to one of the other guys, and legit it was like all respect was lost from his voice when he said "you play video games?"
    Pretty humiliating :\
  • rdyne1
    Options
    you are going to be a godsend when a lonely nerd gets the nerve to talk to you..

Yeah well it seems like I have to be the one who asks. Why are they so shy, I sat through the American dubs of Hellsing, AND asked to borrow his mangas so that he would spend more time with me. Hellsing is good but I would have been happy just spending time with him.