Listening to my Body & Not Counting Calories

Options
Okay so I have found the ability to log food and carefully count my calories on this sigh has actually NOT been beneficial to me, is anyone else in the same situation?
So instead, I have decided to get into the habit of listening to my body and eating for FUEL rather than to balance out my calorie numbers, So i was wondering if there's anyone who does the same, and if anyone has any tips to help get where I want to be!

Good Luck everyone! x

Replies

• tiffanympm
    Options
    We count calories for discipline. Most of us are overweight because we like to eat or we like foods that don't supply what our bodies need. Some have a slight addiction to sugar and have trouble stopping with it. We have trouble noticing when were full or knowing when were emotionally eating. If you have a weight problem it may be from one of these reasons.
  • DrJeep
    DrJeep Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that now I have started counting calories, eating healthier and excercising more my body will tell me when it needs fuel and when it can do without. This is something new to me as I used to have both no "hunger feeling" nor did I have a "satisfied" feeling.

The main reason for me to log and keep counting is indeed discipline, accountability, and just the sheer realization of the amount of crap we put in our bodies if we eat processed foods. That was a real eye opener for me.

I would never advice anyone to go against their feelings, if you feel this is right for you then you should. There are many ways that lead to the same result, and everyone is different.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I can mostly pay listen to my body to maintain my weight, but I have better results paying at least a little attention to calories and especially to macros. My body would think it was happy if I ate Auntie Anne's pretzels or pancakes for every meal, but it performs better and looks better if I get at least 100g of protein a day.

My body has never said, "Hey, you know what's a good snack? Broccoli."

My body is pretty much the little kid having a temper tantrum in the candy aisle of Walmart, screaming, "BUT I WANT IT!!!!!!!!!!!" :laugh:
  • misswager
    misswager Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    We count calories for discipline. Most of us are overweight because we like to eat or we like foods that don't supply what our bodies need. Some have a slight addiction to sugar and have trouble stopping with it. We have trouble noticing when were full or knowing when were emotionally eating. If you have a weight problem it may be from one of these reasons.

completely agree, if you want 'fuel', you need to eat foods with high biological value, sausage rolls, oreo's all those tasty foods are not good sources of fuel
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    If that works, fine, but most people become overweight in the first place because their intuitions aren't accurate. At the very least, I would try to eat only known low-calorie foods.

You also would need to weigh yourself regularly. You can't be in denial.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

This.

I tried the "listening to my body" stuff for years, and I just gained. Diligently tracking taught me how to control myself.
  • jtebeest
    Options
    Why is it our mind will scream for the chocolate or salty foods even though we know fruit or veggies would be a good choice. Love the walmart and candy comment. Right on target with that.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I logged my food and exercise diligently for 18 months. During that time, I learned proper portions and developed a taste for whole foods over packaged foods. I tend to eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day, so dinner is my only real diverse meal. 3 months ago, I stopped logging to see how I would do. In that time, I have done a lot of traveling and eating more of the foods that I normally would not have indulged in. However, I would go back to my healthy eating habits once I got home. I also stopped working out as intensely as I had been. Prior, I was doing cardio 7 days a week and strength 3 days a week. I was getting totally burned out. Now I do cardio 2-3 times a week and strength train 2-3 days a week.

In those three months, I have not gained any weight at all. If I feel like I am having a hard time getting back on track, then I'll likely start logging again for a while. I feel healthier mentally and physically than I have in a very long time.
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    My body is pretty much the little kid having a temper tantrum in the candy aisle of Walmart, screaming, "BUT I WANT IT!!!!!!!!!!!" :laugh:

Lol. That's soo me!

Back to OP, personally I think it would only work if you were eating really clean and not ingesting much sugar, unhealthy fats, etc. Much easier to control what you're taking in when its things like salmon and brocolli. Listening to my body as I eat chewy chocolate chip cookies I'm sure would be dangerous and I refuse to live in a world without chewy cholocate chip cookies, so I log. :)
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from. I don't count calories anymore. It made me a miserable person. I became so focused on the numbers I was actually over depriving myself.

Now I focus on making meals that are nutritionally balanced, and as least processed as possible. I am still mindful of what I eat, and I plan my meals so I don't have moments of weakness resulting in a binge. I am still consistently losing weight, and able to give the time I was spending on counting calories to my family.

I was so focused on the numbers before I would make bad choices because the food was low cal, but I would still be hungry. Now I am choosing foods that keep me satisfied longer. Do a little research on the glycemic index to help you understand what will keep you fuller longer.

In the end it's what works for you. Maybe at least write down what you eat. That way you can always go back and see if there was a trend causing you to stall in your weight loss.
  • Kourtne_KK
    Kourtne_KK Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    it depends, my food is very simple and usually repetitive so I dont always log b/c I pretty much memorize how many calories are in my meals but its good to log in the beginning so you can see how and why you are gaining weight. Also you could be quite surprise on how many calories are in that seemingly small piece of bread or that 'fat free' yogurt. It helps to find alternative and realize what you can live and live without.Its not a forever thing but its great to tackle our foody issues in the beginning. Best of luck!
  • cottoncloud
    Options
    if you think is fine not counting calories that is ok but always be mindful of what you eat, even if you don't count them, pay attention that you don't eat too many things with a high calorie count.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I don't count or log. Once in awhile I might (like once every 2 weeks or so) just to make sure I'm on the right track, but for the most part I don't bother. I eat when I'm hungry, I don't eat if I'm not. I usually eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day, and I'm still losing, even though I"m onto my last 5lbs that I want to lose.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Okay so I have found the ability to log food and carefully count my calories on this sigh has actually NOT been beneficial to me, is anyone else in the same situation?
    So instead, I have decided to get into the habit of listening to my body and eating for FUEL rather than to balance out my calorie numbers, So i was wondering if there's anyone who does the same, and if anyone has any tips to help get where I want to be!

Good Luck everyone! x

Yeah, I pretty much eat when I'm hungry and just log it in to keep track of my macronutrients. I don't really struggle with over eating anymore so I find that my body is the best judge of whether or not I need to eat more. So far I've been at the same weight for a year and a half so it seems to be working.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I can mostly pay listen to my body to maintain my weight, but I have better results paying at least a little attention to calories and especially to macros. My body would think it was happy if I ate Auntie Anne's pretzels or pancakes for every meal, but it performs better and looks better if I get at least 100g of protein a day.

My body has never said, "Hey, you know what's a good snack? Broccoli."

^^^This.
  • Hakarn
    Hakarn Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Be careful listening to your body because many of the signals it can give you are wrong. Yes, there are theories about craving bananas means you are low on potassium or craving milk means you are low on calcium, etc. But most of the time if you crave anything late at night it is your body misinterpreting being thirsty.

You can succeed doing it that your way, but I suggest really studying up on foods to know what you are eating.
  • lilyvale68
    lilyvale68 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes changes need to be made in stages. Five years ago I started with listening to my body (hunger and fullness) and lost nearly 100 lbs by simply reducing the volume of food I ate. That was stage one for me and I have maintained the loss. Stage two for me was exercise. I added it last fall. With the exercise I needed to start fine tuning my eating a bit...adding protein to gain muscle. It's a process that will probably evolve over time. Since we're all in different places in the process, I'm not quick to say one way is wrong and another right. Give yourself freedom to find what works best for you and your goals. :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I actually compromise a bit between the two. I only log my food Monday through Friday. Never on weekends, holidays or vacation. Sometimes I take a week or even a month off from logging. But I come back to it... because I get better results that way.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I log everything, but the amount I eat is dictated by how hungry I am. Logging keeps me eating mostly healthy because I hate logging bad days, and it gives me a damn good picture of how I have been so I don't trick myself into thinking I should be losing when I'm going over every other day.

That said, I maintain when I go off MFP just fine. Even home for the holidays. I think losing would be hard for me though, and even when I'm not logging, I find myself mentally tallying cals so I know where I stand.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. You had a pretty good week the first week of September but in general you are eating alot of processed foods that are high in fat, sugar and salt. This makes it difficult for your body to lose weight because it's not getting the nutrients it needs. If this characterizes your diet in general and if you've been eating this way for years (these are both assumptions), then you are likely pretty out of whack.

So I wouldn't "listen to my body" if I were you; I'd start with my head. Suggestion is that you spend some time learning what foods are really good for you. Cut out the packaged, processed food. Eat lean meats (if you eat meat), LOTS of veggies - in particular, greens (kale, spinach, collards, chard, broccoli), berries, beans and legumes, whole grains. There's a whole rainbow of foods out there.

Use MFP to log foods. Your protein is often high which isn't great when it's out of balance with everything else. But at this point you need to really change your diet. Just a guess but if you learn to eat in a more healthy way and get a little exercise in you will find MFP to be a helpful aid. Good luck!