UK Spaghetti Squash...

Options
Just realised I posted this on the wrong board... So here I go again :blushing:

I've been really looking forward to spaghetti squash season, but I've just found out that Waitrose, which is the only place I've ever seen it, aren't going to be stocking it this year I emailed Tesco and Sainsbury and it seems they won't be selling any either.

Reason provided by them all is that they can only stock so much and Butternut is more popular. Well, we all love Butternut but it's a WHOLE DIFFERENT THING. You can't replace pasta with Butternut!

Where do you guys get it from? Or do you just grow your own?

Replies

• zoeluiisa
    Options
    Boo. Looks like it's just me who loves them then! Will have to hope that local health food shop gets some in...
  • butterflyqueen1984
    Options
    I have never even heard of them! Have you tried somewhere like Asda? They might be a bigger store than the rest? Or Morrison's?
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to find them in the UK - I think I might try and grow them next year as that seems the only way we'll be able to get hold of them :(
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Sorry, never seen them here in Norn Irn either :-(
  • Elsieblue
    Options
    I've never seen them in the supermarkets, not even Waitrose. Have you got a farmers market near you?

I get a weekly box of organic veggies delivered from Abel and Cole - they have them in stock at this time of year.

I personally don't care for Spaghetti squash - I'd rather just have the pasta.. However, I'd highly recommend the quality of produce and service from Abel and Cole... I love coming home from work to find a box of veggies outside my door!
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I live in New Zealand, so probably not much help, but we've got seeds to grow our own this year (my son is fascinated by odd and heirloom veg). The only place I've seen them for sale is at Farmer's Markets.
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I have tried too OP, I just cannot find them anywhere either. I personally think all squashes are not recognised enough, I love pumpkin and Acorn squash, would love to see them all more readily available to us.
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I have just done a goggle search as I had never heard of it before and found this http://www.holmselect.co.uk/squash they sell and deliver it but you need to buy 10 Kgs at a time. They say it can be stored for 6 weeks in a cool place, not sure if you can freeze it or you can go through 10 Kgs in that tima.

Andy
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I can tell you the Morrisons where I live in the Southeast doesn't have it either. :( I've been looking since I moved to the UK. I would also like to get some yellow crook-neck squash (courgette family) but absolutely no luck. I did try planting some from seeds sent to me by a friend but had no luck, it's not warm enough.
    Maybe I will try again.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm in Portsmouth and I get them from Waitrose. I've not yet found them anywhere else. I've tried local fruit and veg shops and all the super markets :ohwell:
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    I have never even heard of them! Have you tried somewhere like Asda? They might be a bigger store than the rest? Or Morrison's?

Good idea - didn't think of them because I don't have any locally, but I'll email their customer services and ask.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Not a massive fan of them, but will have to keep an eye out (a bit too late, it seems).

I've been using sliced leek to replace pasta and quite liking the results - 'The Hairy dieters' used complete flat bits to replace lasagne, but I've found it works ok cut in to thin strips too.
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    I can tell you the Morrisons where I live in the Southeast doesn't have it either. :( I've been looking since I moved to the UK. I would also like to get some yellow crook-neck squash (courgette family) but absolutely no luck. I did try planting some from seeds sent to me by a friend but had no luck, it's not warm enough.
    Maybe I will try again.

You shouldn't have any problem growing squashes in the UK, especially if you live in the South. You should definitely try again - it might just have been a bad year for them. I don't have a garden so I don't have that option :sad:

I think we should start a campaign - if supermarkets get enough emails they'll have to reconsider!
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I get mine from the local markets. Just discovered them. They're lovely!
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    I have just done a goggle search as I had never heard of it before and found this http://www.holmselect.co.uk/squash they sell and deliver it but you need to buy 10 Kgs at a time. They say it can be stored for 6 weeks in a cool place, not sure if you can freeze it or you can go through 10 Kgs in that tima.

Andy

AMAZING, thanks! I'm going to order a box - £19.99, but the delivery is free (thank goodness, because it must be VERY heavy). They've got lots of other lovely looking squashes about to come into season too - might get a mixed box next month and try some new varieties!

Hurrah for the squash. :drinker:
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    So, guess who's having Spaghetti Squash for lunch? I just had a brainwave and popped into a deli near me that stocks organic seasonal veggies... They had a dozen different sorts of squash, all piled high on a table looking so colourful and pretty! I bought:

Spaghetti squash
    Red onion squash
    Harlequin squash
    Custard squash
    Summer Patty Pans
    Butternut squash
    Baby pumpkin
    Confection squash

Some of them are new to me so I'm looking forward to some Googling later on!

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • GenFo
    GenFo Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Oh so glad you found them. I have one coming in my Abel & Cole veg box next week. I've been craving it for quite some time. :love:
  • Kittenbit
    Kittenbit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Red onion squash is my absolute favourite. I've only ever found the more unusual squashes at farmers markets and farm shops.
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    Red onion squash is my absolute favourite. I've only ever found the more unusual squashes at farmers markets and farm shops.

It's one of the ones I haven't had before. The man in the shop said it's got a slightly chestnutty flavour so I'm really looking forward to it! It's quite small so I thought I might just cut it in half and bake it - what do you think? Would the flavour be stronger if I chopped it up and roasted it?
  • Kittenbit
    Kittenbit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's got a lovely dense flesh. My favourite way to cook it is to roast it with shallots and rosemary but, really, you can't go wrong with it. It would be lovely baked.