Homemade Soup

Options
How would this be logged?? will i need to do list everything separately?

Replies

• glosalinas
    glosalinas Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes,,, I "deconstruct" my homemade recipes and list each ingredient seperately.
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I list it as individual items.
  • ddss37
    ddss37 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you are willing and you are one to make alot of homemade meals - I would purchase "Mastercook." Then, log in your recipe into Mastercook (Takes just a couple of minutes) - click on the "heart" to the right of your recipe and up pops the entire nutritional analysis. It is worth it! I just print out the analysis and create it in Fitness Pal - SIMPLE!

I have done this since I joined - it works great and you don't have to worry about the correct numbers.

Here is the website - just google and you can probably fine it even cheaper...

http://www.amazon.com/ValuSoft-10470-MasterCook-Deluxe-9-0/dp/B000B7TBNE

Donna
  • canadagirl79
    Options
    thanks guys..... i went back and listed approximately what i figured I had for my dinner and went by that..i will be having it for supper too, so i saved it as one of my meals as I make the soup every few months usually....was glad to see that the cal intake was less than what i thought...
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Yes, I list everything seperately, then I hit, "save meal" and if I made enough for a few days, I just click on that 'meal' and dont have to do it all over again.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I use www.sparkrecipe.com it allows you to put then amount and what ingredient of each then in the end you put in how many servings and it calculates all nutritional information per serving.

Life and time saver!!!
  • Nener
    Nener Posts: 116
    Options
    I just bought the 7.0 version on Ebay for less than $6.00 including shipping. Thanks for the info. I think it will be super helpful
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    Options
    Interesting that most everyone lists it seperately. I take a piece of paper and calculate everything and divide it by the number of servings. I also put it in my food or my meals as Gail's potato soup or what ever. then it is always there.
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I use www.sparkrecipe.com it allows you to put then amount and what ingredient of each then in the end you put in how many servings and it calculates all nutritional information per serving.

Life and time saver!!!

Great site - the perfect MFP companion!!!!
  • NurseMisty
    NurseMisty Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Spark Recipe calculator is awsome for recipes. I just figured out a cookie recipe. As long as you know how many servics you make, you can calculate per serving!
  • mmdoogie
    Options
    I had never seen the Spark Recipes site before, definitely will have to look at it more.

Here is another recipe calculator where you can just paste in text.
    Helpful when you are looking at recipes online; you don't have to retype the whole thing.

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

Just one thing to watch out for: when you submit it and it comes up with the analysis,
    make sure none of the ingredients have a red flag beside it.
    That is the only warning it didn't recognize that item and it still shows the result for the remaining items.

Overall database isn't as large I'm sure, but for typical ingredients it often seems to work pretty well...
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I just bought the 7.0 version on Ebay for less than $6.00 including shipping. Thanks for the info. I think it will be super helpful

:smile: I'm glad I saw this--it reminded me that I had one on my watch list! I bought it for less than $6.00. too !:happy:

We do LOTS of home cooking and I'm sure this will really come in handy!:happy:
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I had never seen the Spark Recipes site before, definitely will have to look at it more.

Here is another recipe calculator where you can just paste in text.
    Helpful when you are looking at recipes online; you don't have to retype the whole thing.

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

Just one thing to watch out for: when you submit it and it comes up with the analysis,
    make sure none of the ingredients have a red flag beside it.
    That is the only warning it didn't recognize that item and it still shows the result for the remaining items.

Overall database isn't as large I'm sure, but for typical ingredients it often seems to work pretty well...

Yay!!! i had used this site awhile ago and didn't bookmark it, so I couldn't remember what it was. Sometimes if you get a red flag, you just have to re-think what you are calling the ingredient eg. it didn't like "boneless, skinless chicken thighs" but when I changed it to "chicken, thighs, boneless, no skin" it was fine
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I used that calorie count recipe analysis for a while, but I've come to hate it. It does not recognize any other cuts of meat besides whatever the default meat is. If I enter "1 lb. chicken, thighs, boneless, skinless" and then click "view", it shows "calories in chicken, breast meat only". I have the same problem with beef. All beef, no matter what you put in, comes up as top sirloin.

I've switched to the Sparkpeople recipe analyzer and like it much better.