Is it ok to weigh every day?

Options

Replies

• fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    It works for me - down="yes, doing well", up or constant = "ooo, must try even harder tomorrow".
    Others may get dispirited and give up if they don't see figures going down when it's actually natural body fluctuations.
    I'm the same way. I weigh every day and no matter which direction it goes it motivates me to either press on harder or makes me very happy. Either way its a positive thing for me. Some of my friends are the opposite and get really depressed and throw in the towel at the slightest increase and even a loss of weight will make them down in the dumps because they swear they thought they lost more than what the scale says. If your the type who is never happy no matter what with unrealistic expectations then stay off the dang thing :laugh:
  • Prodigga
    Options
    I weigh weekly. Oh and before/after taking a crap, just for the lols.
  • claporte69
    Options
    If you do weigh in every day do it at the same time. You body can gain up to two pounds in a day with food and water.
  • mets86champs
    mets86champs Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself in the morning right after I wake up, and i record it daily. It helps me learn the right mix of foods and exercise.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    People who weigh daily have a higher success rate but in the end, it's individual. If you can do it without becoming obsessive or discouraged by fluctuations, it's a great way to stay on track. I do much better when I weigh daily.
  • Nina1007
    Options
    It can help me stay on track when I weigh everyday but all the fluctuations really screw with my head sometimes too. So I don't weigh everyday but I do check the scale more then once a week and that helps me know where I'm at too.
  • mowrie
    Options
    I personally dont. I find i get too despondent if that little needle of fiendish-design, doesnt move as far as I want it to. once a week is fine for me. though this app/website is the best thing I've ever found to help with weight/fitness goals. its my concience, and means that if I want a treat.. i.e today i have had 2 slices of home made caramel shortcake.. oops!, but I dont need to bust my own chops about it cos ive already earned over 500 calories with exercise. :D i think it made my cake taste even better...!

you'll find what works best for you. ;)
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Weighing every day can make some people nuts. Personally, I only weigh every week or two, not because it would make me nuts to weigh every day but simply because I don't feel the need to do so.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I had no problems
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I did simply to understand water weight.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I do it every week. Everyday is just asking for trouble. Weight fluctuates on a daily basis and it might get you down for no reason, I dont think its a good idea but thats just me
  • shellydd
    shellydd Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    i weigh and record everyday. it keeps me on track and motivated!!!
  • shellydd
    shellydd Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It can help me stay on track when I weigh everyday but all the fluctuations really screw with my head sometimes too. So I don't weigh everyday but I do check the scale more then once a week and that helps me know where I'm at too.

though i do weigh and record everyday for motivation.....i agree....it can screw with your head sometimes :)
  • dq_diva
    Options
    I weight daily and log only Friday mornings. For me it's interesting to see how my weight fluctuates based on different food, exercise, week of the month etc ...

^^ this AND it keeps my 'head in the game'. I'm a major procrastinator so it if I don't weigh in everyday, I'll eat poorly thinking I can 'make up for it' later in the week.

It's a personal preference ....just do what works for you :)
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    depends on the person,

If you are fully aware of the fact that weight will fluctuate depending on many different factors and all that matter is that the overall trend is going in the right direction then feel free to weigh everyday.

I saw a thread on here not too long ago with someone saying that their weight had gone up by 300grams and what to do about it. That sort of person should just leave the scale alone.
  • Legend2point0
    Options
    I wouldn't drive a car without a speedometer...

I check everyday but try to log success or loss every week.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, record when I loose.

Weighing daily helps keep me focused and motivated.
  • mjc65
    mjc65 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I used to do it every day until I realized I was probably starting to obsess. However I now go every other day, which is probably still a little OCD.....not sure it helps too much to be honest but my weight fluctuates in a very narrow range so just a slight change has magnified effects.

From my perspective I don't think my weighing pattern is problematic.

Now excuse me while I rearrange the keys on my keyboard and keyboard mapping from QWERTY to the proper ABCDEF...
  • mrsoz22
    mrsoz22 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This is the first time in my history of dieting that I have been weighing myself every day and I am finding it helps. I hold myself accountable this way, but also understand that the minor fluctuations are meaningless as long as there is a general downward trend. I think if you can approach it from a similar mindset, weighing every day is a good thing.
  • SavingFaith65
    SavingFaith65 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every time I go into the bathroom. Sounds strange but I like to see if not eating half the day or after what I ate affects the number. I like the number in the morning whenI wake up, not so much the number when I get home from work. Weighing once a week is more affective to keep you motivated, I believe. You're able to really tell how well that week went and will help boost your eagerness to continue or to try harder.

All in your preference and if you can take constructive criticism from the scale.