Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor - A Review.

Options
I recently got a Polar FT4 HRM, and was requested to write a review once I had used it for a bit. So here it is. :) It's long, but I figured it'd be better to write an in-depth review. :)

This is what it looks like:
Polar%2Bft4.jpg

If you're not into pink (or purple/pink, as they call it. *snicker* Where's the purple?!), the watch comes in orange/black, silver/black and bronze/silver as well.
Before the actual review, here's a few points I thought you should know beforehand. :)

What You Get In The Box:
-The watch
-The chest strap
-The Wear-Link (the device that records your heart rate)
-A Get Started guide.

Here's the major thing I dislike - the Get Started guide is exactly what it says it is. It's ONLY a Get Started-guide. Where's the full manual, you ask? On the Polar website. Kind of annoying. If anyone is interested, the manual can be found here:
http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/support/User_manual_for_Polar_FT4_in_English?product_id=22999&category=manuals

Features & Specs:
Copied from the Polar website, because I'm a lazy bum. ;)
Measurement features:
Automatic age-based target zone – bpm / %
Average and maximum heart rate of training
Heart rate – bpm / %
HR-based target zones with visual and audible alarm
HRmax (user set)
Manual target zone – bpm / %
Polar OwnCal® – calorie expenditure
Polar OwnCode® (5kHz) – coded transmission

Recording features
Totals
Training files (with summaries) – 10

Training features
Graphical target zone indicator
HeartTouch – button-free operation of wrist unit

[/u]Watch features[/u]
Backlight
Date and weekday indicator
Display text in English and a metric poop-ton of other languages
Dual time zone
KeyLock
Low battery indicator
Time of day (12/24h) with alarm and snooze
User replaceable battery
Water resistant – 30m

THE REVIEW:
I'll review the parts one by one.

The Watch
From what I can gather, the watch is excellent for the price. It doesn't have the features that high-end watches have, like GPS and online tracking, and it can "only" hold a maximum of 10 work-out files (so I write my sessions down in a note-book). It does however keep count of the total amount of minutes, sessions and calories burned since the watch was activated (or since the date you reset the totals, if you choose to do so), which is kind of nice.

It's also INCREDIBLY easy to navigate. The minute you activate the watch, it guides you through the main settings (like time/date, user information, etc.), and in the future, you can change the settings and view files just by pressing the down-button on the right side of the watch.

To record your work-out session, you just press the middle right-side OK/start button, and the second it registers your heart rate, you press start again, and voila! It's doing its thing. While you're working out, it shows your heart rate by default, but you can also choose to view the number of calories burned, the zone bar (the bar that shows if you are within the heart rate zone that you've specified, for example from 60 to 150 bpm), or the duration of the session/the time of day. Should you choose to set the watch to show anything but the duration/time of day, you can check what time it is with the HeartTouch function, i.e. holding the watch close to the WearLink (which should be clipped onto the chest strap when you're working out), which makes the watch show the time.

Also, the watch isn't atrocious, so you can wear it as a regular watch during the day (but don't wear the WearLink! It's only meant to be used when working out, or the battery will die pretty quickly).

The WearLink & Chest Strap
There's not much to say - they work, and compared to a lot of chest straps, the FT4's is amazingly comfortable - it's made in a soft material, and rather than being stiff, it's adjustable and flexible. I don't even notice that I'm wearing it, and have forgotten about it for a few minutes a few times! You don't have to wait 'till you get all sweaty and icky to get the electrodes to record your heart rate either - you just wet the electrode pads with water before putting on the strap, and it registers your HR from the start. :) It's also machine-washable - just remember to unclip the WearLink first, haha.

I haven't had any problems with the WearLink either - the signal has always been fine, and the readings seem accurate. It's easy to use - just clip it onto the strap, and off you go! Just make sure you unclip it after your session, or the batteries will drain (the manual even says to store the WearLink and the strap separately, as the WearLink will use battery power if the metals touch).

So that's that. :) If you have any questions or comments, feel free to write here or send a message!
Have a great weekend, lovely people! :D

Replies

• DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    :love: I want to get one so badly, not in pink though, but I want one and this made me want one all the more!
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    My husband just bought me the silver one yesterday, I was worried that the strap would be uncomfortable (I'm very big busted), but it's not at all.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    It does however keep count of the total amount of minutes, sessions and calories burned since the watch was activated (or since the date you reset the totals, if you choose to do so), which is kind of nice.

there is a point where it stops maintaining old files and shifts to new ones. It is at about 10 months of using the watch 4-5 times a week. mind you this is what my FT7 does, so I can assume that the lower version also does not keep the files eternally
  • kuzurichan
    Options
    :love: I want to get one so badly, not in pink though, but I want one and this made me want one all the more!

It's worth every penny, I swear! I know plenty of MFPals that swear by it and will warmly recommend it as well! :)
    My husband just bought me the silver one yesterday, I was worried that the strap would be uncomfortable (I'm very big busted), but it's not at all.

Your husband is a sweetie - congrats (on the husband AND the HRM, haha). :D I guarantee you'll love it - have fun! :D
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    bump! Great post! I will be getting mine in the mail very soon and it is the exact same one!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7, the next model up, and I love it :) The main difference is that the FT7 holds more training sessions. I love my hrm!
  • samlankford
    Options
    I wear mine everyday that I do my stair run on my 1hr lunch break and then also when I get home from work to do either insanity or the asylum workouts... love that hrm, best 100 bucks spent :-)
  • thisisaimee91
    Options
    I have this in pink. Love it! Best thing I've bought in terms of my weight loss.
  • kuzurichan
    Options
    Thanks for the bump! :)

Also, I forgot to mention accuracy; It's supposed to be fairly accurate, and when I compare to other sites like MFP, other people's HRM's, and various calculations, it seems to hold up. :)
  • mkim3138
    Options
    Would you recommend this for weight lifting?
  • kuzurichan
    Options
    I have this in pink. Love it! Best thing I've bought in terms of my weight loss.

Mine's pink too! :D
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I got the exact same one recently. Yes it is very pink lol

Was loving it but the last few workouts it wouldn't pick up my heart rate. Tried wetting the straps again, readjusting the band. It's a PITA because each time it delayed me getting started while fiddling with it. When it did finally register my HR it read some insanely high number...200+ beats. That was impossible, double checked it manually and it was barely out of the 70's.

Maybe I got a defective unit :(

eta: Got a great deal on amazon $62 and change.
  • kuzurichan
    Options

It seems like it'd be great for weight-lifting - I can't think of many sports where an HRM wouldn't be useful, and I know many MFPals who would recommend this one specifically. :)
  • FloridasFinest
    Options
    I've been wanting to get a HRM and after seeing this board and several others about the Polar FT4, I'm definitely going to be getting one. Thanks for all the info!!!

I LOVE the pink!
  • rhondadwyer69
    rhondadwyer69 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options

Was loving it but the last few workouts it wouldn't pick up my heart rate. Tried wetting the straps again, readjusting the band. It's a PITA because each time it delayed me getting started while fiddling with it. When it did finally register my HR it read some insanely high number...200+ beats. That was impossible, double checked it manually and it was barely out of the 70's.

eta: Got a great deal on amazon $62 and change.

Replace batteries in transmitter first. Test. if still no go...rpl batts in watch.
  • kuzurichan
    Options

I don't know what'd cause something like this, other than the batteries, like the previous poster said - I've had to re-adjust the straps once after a few weeks, but I've never had problems like these. I think you should contact Polar - if it IS defective, there's a 2 year warranty on it, save for the batteries. :)
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options

yup, I use it for cardio and weight lifting
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I love mine, it was relatively cheap, easy to use and does the trick. I use it for weight lifting as well, seems accurate.
  • kbubbles87
    kbubbles87 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you update your weight as you lose! I let my boyfriend use mine for a day and he updated his height weight and sex and I was recording the wrong calories for almost a week.