Am I doing something wrong?

Options
Hi everyone, I am currently doing a hybrid of P90X and Insanity (keeping the weight training but replacing the P90X cardio with Insanity circuit training) and would like to know whether I'm doing something wrong or not eating right to get good abs (which I'm guessing is one of the most common questions on here!) or whether it actually takes a really long time.

Before this I had completed Insanity with a good diet, but not as good as I think it is now. I feel I got really good results after the 1st hybrid, but my lower abs are still really flabby and chubby. I think my nutrition is really good, I changed from 40:40:20 carbs:protein:fat to 30:40:30 carbs:protein:fat a few days ago to see how I felt but I might change it back. My food diary is public so you can all see what I'm eating. I'm only eating fruits, vegetables, wholewheat/meal/grain/pulses, lean protein and healthy fats (with minimal changes except a bit at work).

I'm 20, 5 foot 7 (1.75m), 66kg (145lbs) with a BMR of 1659. I eat about 2000-2200 calories a day. Is this too little or too much? I want to build some muscle so I know I should eating a little bit more, but keep telling myself that I shouldn't because 1) I want to lose the fat around the stomach, 2) I'm not a big/tall guy and 3) because I am sedentary at home ALL day, except a few days a week at work (in a cafe). The only supplements I take are protein powder and a recovery drink.

Am I doing something wrong or should I be more patient? Any questions? Thanks for reading.

Replies

• rmparten
    Options
    I won't get into why I am vegan and why others should; however, I will point out something you should be looking for in your diet.

You should you were taking protein supplements, which one? Look at the fat, calorie and cholesterol content and ask yourself what you're mixing in it. The Whey Protein is basically nothing more than chemically isolated protein from MILK FAT. If you want to switch to a more absorbable and less toxic protein then you need to look at a company called: Garden of Life: Raw Protein. You get the protein you'll need without the added calories, fat, cholesterol of whey and it is absorbable by the body, unlike whey which has a poor absorbtion rate.

Increase cardio as much as possible, despite what body builders say. Once again, it all depends on what your goals are.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I've recently switched from whey protein to unflavoured pea and soya protein actually. But because they taste absolutely horrendous on their own I add cocoa and stevia to them to make them tolerable. I get most of my protein from nuts, seeds, beans and lentils. I do eat meat, but only free range and wild fish like tuna and salmon occasionally. I would eat a lot more, but being a full-time student with a part-time job and no other means of financial income make it a little difficult to afford it.

I'm sure that all I need is patience, but I just want to to know that I am on the right track because of the stubborn fat I want to get rid of.

This is me at the end of May before starting my 1st P90X/Insanity hybrid:
    108742s.jpg
    And this is me 3 months later straight after a workout:
    x55ycm.jpg