3 Day Green Smoothie Challange

Options
I've haven't been great about my Green Smoothies lately, so I thought I would make a little challenge for myself. I will add at least one GS a day into my diet starting today. This gives me a chance to perfect some recipes over the weekend and to acclimate my body. Then, next Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday - Green Smoothie Feast! No cooked food, just liquid gold! Pure nutrition!

Results: Weight loss, Clear, Glowing Skin, Energy, & Clarity of Purpose.

Anyone with me? I would love some comrades!!

Replies

• tbruegg
    tbruegg Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Never had a green smoothie but, need something to get me motivated in the right direction. Would you share your recipe?
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a great idea. Do you have recipe ideas you could send me? Whenever I try to juice/make green smoothies they taste horrific.

How do you do this at work?
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I add a scoop of Trader Joes Green Drink powder and a half scoop of Perfect Food to my dark chocolate protein smoothie every morning. Do you just drink it straight (i can't take that) or do you mix it?
  • eggfooyumyum
    eggfooyumyum Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    There are tons of recipes out there for Green Smoothies. My favorite is Kimberly Snyder's Green Smoothie. I would google her and watch her video - she's inspiring and very informed. For myself, I essentially use ingredients for a regular fruit smoothie, with the addition of spinach. There is no spinach flavor, I repeat, no spinach flavor - it's amazing! Other greens people use are kale, parsley, cilantro. Kale has a strong grassy flavor that may be off-putting to beginners.

Important: Blend your spinach with 1-2 cups water in the blender first. Once it's liquified, add your frozen and/or fresh fruit.

My Green Smoothie:

2 cups water
    a large handful of pre-washed organic baby spinach (this is available in most grocery stores)
    blend
    1/2 c blueberries or strawberries or raspberries
    1/2 pineapple or peaches or mango
    1 banana

I add supplements: (these are not necessary to benefit from GS)
    Whey-to-go protein powder
    maca powder
    spirulina
    bee pollen
    flax seed oil in smoothie flavor
  • CharliePellegrino
    Options
    How often is it safe enough to drink a GS? I was recently reading a book on cleansing and the book mentioned smoothies as part of a liquid cleansing thing <detoxing the liver>. I also don't want to go into starvation mode, that's when I raid the fridge! lol
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Here is a recipe I just found (never tried one before and they look disgusting)

The recipe:
    two handfuls of baby spinach
    1 apple
    1 bananas,
    1 cup of yogurt
    5 strawberries
    1/2 orange

Blend well and enjoy!

If anyone tries this let me know how it tastes.
  • muamontreal
    muamontreal Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have one after each work out as a BIG snack ...I love it ! but eating just GS for a whole day , I am not sure I 'll be able to :bigsmile:

Most of my recipes come from incredible smoothies site

Cheers !
  • l3long
    l3long Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Here is my green smoothy

in a Magic bullet (~2 cup blender)

one large handfull of baby spinach
    2 tbsp ground flax seed
    apple/banana or other fruit
    unsweetened vanill almond milk to the top

I have found the key to success for me
    5'3" over 40 with only a small amount to lose
    is to have a mixed berry smoothie for breakfast, green smoothy for lunch with some lean protein and then eat a moderate and more normal (meat, veggies and potato or rice) supper with my family with fruit at bedtime
    The smoohties are the key as it is soooo hard to lose after 40
  • breathless575
    breathless575 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love green smoothies! You can't go wrong. Just add any combination of fruits with leafy greens. Right now I'm drinking one made with kale, frozen blueberries, bananas, and dates. I'm always looking for friends to share ideas with. Feel free to add me if you want.
  • LindaJWan
    LindaJWan Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was just talking about smoothies to some friends...Very interested in doing 3 days with you....Not sure I can start on Tuesday but I will think about it...

I have a Nutribullet which does an amazing job at chopping things up very smooth - got mine at Target and I love it

Well - I will be checking in...
  • janlee_001
    Options
    I just got to thinking why not just eat the spinach and add some fruit and drink some water?
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Regarding GS all day: What about break/lunch at work? I only get 30 min so I can't go home to make one (I live 30 min away).

I did however have one this morning :)
    In my magic bullet:

1 C unsweetened Almond Milk
    50g baby spinach
    1 banana (146g)
    5 frozen strawberries (54g)

It was quite yummy.
  • nurse4god
    nurse4god Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I mix Naked Green Machine Smoothie and Carrot Juice half and half. It is so good, no bad after taste. :wink:
  • YogaLarva
    Options
    I just got to thinking why not just eat the spinach and add some fruit and drink some water?

Lol, I use green smoothies as a way to avoid eating salads. Even as a vegan, I absolutely hate most salads. So I start my morning with a smoothie made with a small handful of spinach, a big leaf of curly kale, a banana, and (this week) a few raspberries for excitement. It's not sweet, which I like. Much less chewing than just eating everything separately, which allows me to bring it to campus and drink during my first class of the day. :-)
  • Drea89
    Drea89 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I LOVE GREEN SMOOITHES I TRY TO HAVE ONE EVERYDAY. MY ALL TIME FAVE IS

3 OZ KALE, AND SPINACH, 1/2 CUP FROZEN MANGO, 1 BANANA,
    1/2 CUP PLAIN KEFIR (OF COCONUT MILK KEFIR) 1 CUP WATER 2 TBSP CHIA SEEDS

I USE A NUTRIBULLET AND LOVE IT!

I USE OTHER RECIPES BUT THIS IS MY GO TO WHEN I NEED MOTIVATION. IT TASTES AWESOME AND MY 2 YR OLD LIKES IT. SO ITS GREAT IN MY BOOK
  • Kristie3568
    Options
    What is in your smoothie?
  • Drea89
    Options

Lol, I use green smoothies as a way to avoid eating salads. Even as a vegan, I absolutely hate most salads. So I start my morning with a smoothie made with a small handful of spinach, a big leaf of curly kale, a banana, and (this week) a few raspberries for excitement. It's not sweet, which I like. Much less chewing than just eating everything separately, which allows me to bring it to campus and drink during my first class of the day. :-)

BASICALLY! I DON'T LIKE IT EAT MY GREEN PLUS YOU GOTTA DO SOME SERIOUS CHEWING TO GET THE MAXIMUM NUTRIENTS, PULVERIZING YOUR FOOD HELPS YOU DIGEST IT BETTER AND DONT 4GET YOU CAN EAT IT ON THE GO AND IT TASTE WONDERFUL! i DRINK MINE ON THE WAY TO CLASS. GREA WAY TO GET A QUICK AND NATURAL ENERGY BOOST. AND HELP MEET THE MAX AMOUNT OF FRUITS AND VEGGIES A DAY
  • janlee_001
    Options

Ah, I love spinach salads with raspberries or strawberries.
    BASICALLY! I DON'T LIKE IT EAT MY GREEN PLUS YOU GOTTA DO SOME SERIOUS CHEWING TO GET THE MAXIMUM NUTRIENTS, PULVERIZING YOUR FOOD HELPS YOU DIGEST IT BETTER AND DONT 4GET YOU CAN EAT IT ON THE GO AND IT TASTE WONDERFUL! i DRINK MINE ON THE WAY TO CLASS. GREA WAY TO GET A QUICK AND NATURAL ENERGY BOOST. AND HELP MEET THE MAX AMOUNT OF FRUITS AND VEGGIES A DAY
  • jamifaith
    Options
    Im excited to try some of these recipes! Here are my favorite two, they are a little fruit heavy because I always share with hubby and he wont drink it if it tastes like veggies at all. I usually double or triple the recipe to save.for.the next day, plus a single blend of the recipe makes more than what should be 1 serving imo. Usually I triple the recipe and split it into 5 smoothies. :) im a big green smoothie fan lol

Recipe 1:
    1 banana
    1 pear
    1 cup spinach
    1 cup kale
    1 cup orange juice (or water if you dont mind a more veggie taste)

And for the second recipe I replace the pear with a red apple and the oj with lite grapefruit juice (which definitely helps save some cals)
  • Drea89
    Options
    OUT THE ALL THAT STUFF IN A SMOOTHIE :smile: